Help with UN-sticky D/A discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Help with UN-sticky D/A discs?

Anybody here have a favorite trick to get old D/A sander discs to stick on the backing pad? I have a large roll of discs, and the adhesive has lost its tackiness, and the discs won't stay on. Tried heat, which worked for about a minute, and then the disc flew off anyway.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Maybe a little spray glue like what they sell at the auto parts store. I know it make them stick but don't know if you can get them back off unless you just use just a little??? It's the spray glue you use for upholstery.

treblig

Comment

Like 3M 77 spray? I will try that, I guess.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord

A couple of thoughts, are all the discs that way or just a few near the start. I had a few that must have gotten dusty and after a few the adhesive was workable. Sorry if you've checked that already.

The spray adhesive is a good thought. It will be interesting to see if the old discs can hold enough adhesive on top of the poor adhesive to hang on. If they do, you'll have fun getting them off but it's better than not holding. You might also find the sanding discs cheaper than the spray adhesive, the good stuff is becoming mucho dollars.

I've recently switched to a "velcro" style DA and have been buying the discs at the local swapmeet, 3M I think, but good quality and they last a lot longer than the disc on a roll I was getting at the local paint store.

Bob

AS an addendum, don't buy velcro type pads from HF, the backing won't standup to a good DA. It's worth the difference to get the good stuff.
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-03-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

There used to be a specific adhesive for DA disks as the paper was plain. I don't recall the 3M part number but it came in both tubes and spray can. It was white in color and didn't really dry so it would come back off. It sounds like you have a canvis back pad rather than the vinyl back that is used for self adhesive disks. The canvis back was used with glue and plain paper. Don't use weatherstrip adhesive, it will ruin the pad.

Dave.

Comment

Get a tube of adhesive from your local paint store made for a da before they had stick-it paper. They still make it and we used it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Gord

AS an addendum, don't buy velcro type pads from HF, the backing won't standup to a good DA. It's worth the difference to get the good stuff.
              X2...one of our Canadian equivalents to HF...(Busy Bee Tools) same thing...thought they were good value but they don`t `stick`after a few minutes of use. Wish good abrasives weren't so expensive. Cheers, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                Get a tube of adhesive from your local paint store made for a da before they had stick-it paper. They still make it and we used it for years.
                Good idea,....but I'd go with 3M "Spray Disc Adhesive" in the aerosol can...works great and seems to last forever!

Comment

Working...
                X