Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Should We Create "Modified Studebakers" Sub-Board?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Should We Create "Modified Studebakers" Sub-Board?

An Idea has surfaced recently for a "Modified Studebakers" sub-board where Stude lovers who have modified, or are planning to modify, their cars can discuss technology and options, and share creative solutions.

What do Forum members think? Please vote! This poll will remain open (with discussion) until June 1, 2015.
    Yes
    46.08%
    No
    53.92%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by showbizkid; 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM. Reason: typo

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Why not? Let's accommodate those with non-stock Studes (and there are many).
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I can not see separating them.
      The vast majority of Studebakers now in use are modified to some extent.
      I would like to welcome all and try to assist all in one big happy group.
      By separating them, some may perceive that we think of modified vehicles as second class (I do not).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Modified" is an ambiguous term. E.g., do radial tires constitute a modification? After all these years,
        "unmodified" cars are the exception. Let's keep things the way they are.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I can not see separating them.
          The vast majority of Studebakers now in use are modified to some extent.
          I would like to welcome all and try to assist all in one big happy group.
          By separating them, some may perceive that we think of modified vehicles as second class (I do not).
          I'm with Gary. Let's keep everyone involved in every discussion.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

i agree with Gary & Brad. but for all the "purists" out there , please don't make snide, snarky or comments that lack "tact"!!!

maybe a "I wouldn't have done it that way" would suffice. BUT - IMHO, if someone takes a "Original Survivor" and mods it, i might take my gloves off.

for the rest, as Mr. Vines says: "Your car, your money"...
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

A "Modified Studebakers" sub forum kind of puts them in the "separate but equal" category (IMHO) . Forum members only have to click on those threads that interest them.

I vote for fewer sub forums...not more.

I think we could do away with "drive your Studebaker day forum" (last post there a month and a half ago), "judging forum" (going on 2 months without a post), "club and forum discussion" (essentially just used to welcome new members. Other posts could easily be just a question to Clark), "Studebaker passings" (kind of morbid actually. I don't see a problem with posting the passing of a noted SDC member in the general forum). Last but not least "stove huggers" (more trouble that it is worth. Doesn't add a thing to Studebakering...only drives potential members away).
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't see the need for a separate category. I click on New Posts at the top of the first page and look at all that catch my attention anyway.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I agree with posters 3 and 4. Though the idea may be well intentioned,I wouldn't want to generate any "feelings" on either side of the aisle.After all, aren't all Studebakers "Different by Design?"

Side story here:I worked briefly with a guy who drove an old Ford station wagon.Just a stocker, but I noticed the car was tagged as a Street Rod.I asked him what was modified on his car;maybe the drive train? He looked at me straight in the face,clenched is fists by his side and loudly exclaimed,"This car has been modified.....by RUST!"He meant it, and I wasn't about to argue with this fella who appeared to be several fries short of a Happy Meal,lol!

Comment

What is to be gained by a separation? After all an Avanti is an Avanti! This Studebaker design has changed how many times since 1963 and has been offered for 40+ years? All Avantis are welcome and this works well, so I repeat, why a separate category? What is to be gained?
                    Bob
                    Bob
                    Welland Ontario
                    60 Lark Convertible
                    64 Daytona
                    sigpic
                    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Instead of a modified forum I like the idea of a Project Build Thread forum where members would be encouraged to document their projects big and small.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

We have too many forums already. We should stop all this micro-managing and be looking at simplifying this site. If someone would be more comfortable discussing their modified car with other modified owners, the Racing Studebakers site is the perfect place for that.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

A year ago I posted a poll to see what tab most visitors first used to open the list of forum posts. Overwhelmingly it was "What's New" or "New Posts". http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=poll
                          Seems like the huge majority are curious about everything and anything Stude related. Isn't that part of what makes our group so approachable?
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Would it be just another tab along with the strictly Studebaker and the stove huggers tabs? I already voted but really am pretty ambivalent about it and it would probably be just fine.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I voted for a separate forum, only in the hope that the purists who constantly malign the efforts of modified Studebakers owners may have the restraint to butt out. Those who alter their vehicles should be able to ask questions, solicit ideas show their talents without the negative condescending comments launched in the general forum.

Sadly, I doubt if the regular offenders have enough self control to leave others who enjoy all types of Studebakers alone.

It is because of these 'usual suspects' that I have lessened my time on this forum and look for creativity elsewhere.
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X