PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should We Create "Modified Studebakers" Sub-Board?

showbizkid
05-02-2015, 01:33 PM
An Idea has surfaced recently for a "Modified Studebakers" sub-board where Stude lovers who have modified, or are planning to modify, their cars can discuss technology and options, and share creative solutions.

What do Forum members think? Please vote! This poll will remain open (with discussion) until June 1, 2015.

Chris Pile
05-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Why not? Let's accommodate those with non-stock Studes (and there are many).

studegary
05-02-2015, 02:34 PM
I can not see separating them.
The vast majority of Studebakers now in use are modified to some extent.
I would like to welcome all and try to assist all in one big happy group.
By separating them, some may perceive that we think of modified vehicles as second class (I do not).

GinettaG12P
05-02-2015, 02:51 PM
"Modified" is an ambiguous term. E.g., do radial tires constitute a modification? After all these years,
"unmodified" cars are the exception. Let's keep things the way they are.

rockne10
05-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I can not see separating them.
The vast majority of Studebakers now in use are modified to some extent.
I would like to welcome all and try to assist all in one big happy group.
By separating them, some may perceive that we think of modified vehicles as second class (I do not).I'm with Gary. Let's keep everyone involved in every discussion.

Corvanti
05-02-2015, 06:55 PM
i agree with Gary & Brad. but for all the "purists" out there , please don't make snide, snarky or comments that lack "tact"!!!

maybe a "I wouldn't have done it that way" would suffice. BUT - IMHO, if someone takes a "Original Survivor" and mods it, i might take my gloves off.:mad:

for the rest, as Mr. Vines says: "Your car, your money"...

Dick Steinkamp
05-02-2015, 07:11 PM
A "Modified Studebakers" sub forum kind of puts them in the "separate but equal" category (IMHO) ;). Forum members only have to click on those threads that interest them.

I vote for fewer sub forums...not more.

I think we could do away with "drive your Studebaker day forum" (last post there a month and a half ago), "judging forum" (going on 2 months without a post), "club and forum discussion" (essentially just used to welcome new members. Other posts could easily be just a question to Clark), "Studebaker passings" (kind of morbid actually. I don't see a problem with posting the passing of a noted SDC member in the general forum). Last but not least "stove huggers" (more trouble that it is worth. Doesn't add a thing to Studebakering...only drives potential members away).

52-fan
05-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't see the need for a separate category. I click on New Posts at the top of the first page and look at all that catch my attention anyway.

rusty65
05-02-2015, 07:56 PM
I agree with posters 3 and 4. Though the idea may be well intentioned,I wouldn't want to generate any "feelings" on either side of the aisle.After all, aren't all Studebakers "Different by Design?"

Side story here:I worked briefly with a guy who drove an old Ford station wagon.Just a stocker, but I noticed the car was tagged as a Street Rod.I asked him what was modified on his car;maybe the drive train? He looked at me straight in the face,clenched is fists by his side and loudly exclaimed,"This car has been modified.....by RUST!"He meant it, and I wasn't about to argue with this fella who appeared to be several fries short of a Happy Meal,lol!

pinehurstbob
05-02-2015, 09:47 PM
What is to be gained by a separation? After all an Avanti is an Avanti! This Studebaker design has changed how many times since 1963 and has been offered for 40+ years? All Avantis are welcome and this works well, so I repeat, why a separate category? What is to be gained?
Bob

Pat Dilling
05-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Instead of a modified forum I like the idea of a Project Build Thread forum where members would be encouraged to document their projects big and small.

Dwain G.
05-02-2015, 10:11 PM
We have too many forums already. We should stop all this micro-managing and be looking at simplifying this site. If someone would be more comfortable discussing their modified car with other modified owners, the Racing Studebakers site is the perfect place for that.

rockne10
05-02-2015, 11:40 PM
A year ago I posted a poll to see what tab most visitors first used to open the list of forum posts. Overwhelmingly it was "What's New" or "New Posts". http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?81524-What-do-members-open-first-on-the-Forum-A-poll&highlight=poll
Seems like the huge majority are curious about everything and anything Stude related. Isn't that part of what makes our group so approachable?

t walgamuth
05-03-2015, 02:13 AM
Would it be just another tab along with the strictly Studebaker and the stove huggers tabs? I already voted but really am pretty ambivalent about it and it would probably be just fine.

Captain Billy
05-03-2015, 05:30 AM
I voted for a separate forum, only in the hope that the purists who constantly malign the efforts of modified Studebakers owners may have the restraint to butt out. Those who alter their vehicles should be able to ask questions, solicit ideas show their talents without the negative condescending comments launched in the general forum.

Sadly, I doubt if the regular offenders have enough self control to leave others who enjoy all types of Studebakers alone.

It is because of these 'usual suspects' that I have lessened my time on this forum and look for creativity elsewhere.

t1003nl
05-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Please keep everything together! I do stock restorations but I love seeing the modifieds. I'd hate to miss out on a clever repair trick or a new parts source because it was listed separately.

Please don't separate them!!

Skip Lackie
05-03-2015, 07:50 AM
I tend to agree with Dick Steinkamp in post 8 and Pat Dilling in post 12. Although I don't intend to drop a SBC in any of my Studes, I appreciate the vision and workmanship of many of the modified vehicles I read about here. Read the posts you are interested in and ignore the rest.

Side comment: I really don't see that much anti-rodding sentiment here, at least compared to the situation a decade ago. Am I missing something?

ndynis
05-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Keep them under one roof. "Modified" is a difficult thing to define. Improvements adding to safety are "modifications" but do any of us want to penalize someone for that? I put a 700R4 in my Wagonaire to bring the rpm down at highway speed and lower the noise level. Outside it looks stock but is it "modified", yes.

I always just click "new posts" so get it all. Keep it together would be my vote.

shifter4
05-03-2015, 09:29 AM
I vote to keep it all under one umbrella.
As stated above , just hit the " new posts ' button , and read or ignore posts as you wish.

One comment that I'll make though , is that some people seem to try to make the Topic title to be
way too short , which just causes confusion . There's plenty of room on the line to allow a bit more
detail as to what may be in the post .
Also , use Tags whenever possible , as it then helps others to search for subjects .

For more heavy duty modifiers , check out

http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/index.php

BeeJay
05-03-2015, 12:10 PM
I see no reason for one. After all, most of us modifiers have developed thicker skins after hearing "how you've ruined a perfectly good automobile". Case in point, after making a post on how i broke a ball joint on the return from Daytona (DRIVING my Studebaker), I received a reply attesting to the fact that I probably would't have broken a king pin.

swvalcon
05-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Keep it under one roof. I see nothing wrong with a modified Stude. If you want yours all stock that's just fine and if you want yours with a big block chev with a blower go for it.

JoeHall
05-03-2015, 12:32 PM
On the surface, it seems like a good idea. But I am afraid, by adding a "modified" sub board, the current group, as "strictly stock" or "correct" will disappear overnight. For example, anyone with modern oil in their Stude has modified it; ditto for battery, tires, gasoline, paint, etc.. Even "survivors" would not qualify as strictly stock/correct, if modern gasoline is used to drive them on & off trailers.

I say, leave it as is, and everyone just try to be more tolerant of our differences.

greenmachine03
05-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Create a few different ones. A "Vehicles for sale" and "parts for sale" board would be nice. Also I like the modified studebakers idea. Because not all vehicles are complete enough to really turn back to perfect restoration cars. Others have a nice patina that lends itself to looking like a street rod/ rat rod. I say let them do what they want.

I looked at a few studes and walked on a really nice one because I wanted to modify mine. I didn't have the heart to cut into an 84,000 original mile car.

I like the idea of a "Stude-Sleeper". Looks like grandmas car but has a beast under the hood. I'm looking to swap an LS1, Viper, Mercedes, or diesel into a little studebaker. Not everyone wants to look at that all the time. Some people want to look at a clean studebaker. Including myself. But sometimes you wanna see an insane street rod in the image of the brand we love.

TWChamp
05-03-2015, 12:47 PM
I see no reason for one. After all, most of us modifiers have developed thicker skins after hearing "how you've ruined a perfectly good automobile". Case in point, after making a post on how i broke a ball joint on the return from Daytona (DRIVING my Studebaker), I received a reply attesting to the fact that I probably would't have broken a king pin.

LOL, boy, this is perfect timing. Yesterday as I was returning from the South Bend swap meet, I saw a modern car stranded on the side of the road with his wheel and suspension hanging out to the side due to a broken ball joint. I thought to myself, this wouldn't happen if he had kingpins. LOL

Scott
05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
On the surface, it seems like a good idea. But I am afraid, by adding a "modified" sub board, the current group, as "strictly stock" or "correct" will disappear overnight. For example, anyone with modern oil in their Stude has modified it; ditto for battery, tires, gasoline, paint, etc.. Even "survivors" would not qualify as strictly stock/correct, if modern gasoline is used to drive them on & off trailers.

I say, leave it as is, and everyone just try to be more tolerant of our differences.

I'm a little frustrated with how people go to absurd lengths to qualify what "modified" means. Talking about using different oils than what the manufacturer offered is in nobody's definition of modified. It's poking another finger in the eyes of people who happen to prefer stock. I've always been able to tell the difference between modified and stock, and while it does have a broad meaning, like maybe including non stock wiring and such, it's always been primarily about using non-stock motors, or motors not offered for that particular model, or about departures from stock suspension. Of course it has always included body and trim modifications which includes obvious non-stock interiors, paint and paint schemes. I'm not sure I'm in favor of this idea. Maybe a better idea would be to a have a section for purists, but I'm not even sure that would be good.

SN-60
05-03-2015, 01:17 PM
What is to be gained by a separation? After all an Avanti is an Avanti! This Studebaker design has changed how many times since 1963 and has been offered for 40+ years? All Avantis are welcome and this works well, so I repeat, why a separate category? What is to be gained?
Bob

I wish that were true, but as I've been told many, many times on this forum concerning my '83 Avanti, later Avanti ll's are not Studebakers and should be separated out. (I, personally, do not agree with that concept). Anyway, I'm all for a separate 'Modified Studebaker' forum section. :!!:

Jerry Forrester
05-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I don't care. I click on 'new posts' every time and get 'em all.

61Lark
05-03-2015, 06:38 PM
There should be 4 sub forums.
1. Studebaker Discussion
2. Technical/Projects
3. For Sale/ Want to Buy
4. Everything Else

studebakerkid
05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I own both modified and stock but I cringe when someone takes a $14000 dollar survivor and because of lack of skill or poor planning ruins that original car when there are so many wrecked cars or cars without engines that the same thing can be accomplished with. My 64 was a $200 rolling chasis that three days before I picked it up had complete glass. I Mc Kinnoned it because the OHV was frozen solid and 65s had Mc Kinnons.

My 65 still has the original 194 but the Borg Warner three speed gave out so it now has a Sagnaw and of course I went back to tapered axles. I bought it in 1981 for $500

My Toyota T cab was an OHV that had cracks in the block large enough for skunks to crawl in and out. The differential was also frozen but I only payed $200 for it.

My 61 T cab is stock except for dual electric fuel pumps and a Hurst Floor Shifter and I payed $500 for it back in 1999.

The 54 wagon was stock until a bit more then ten years ago when my father took out that rebuilt flat head with his habit of pumping the accelerator after the engine starts. I installed a Mc Kinnon 250, installed a Dana 44 and installed a floor shifter but when it is sold eventually someone will be able to put it stock if they want to. fairly easily.

Xcalibur
05-03-2015, 09:12 PM
OMG! What a RADICAL idea... even staid and "proper" SDC did this for Turning Wheels in the early 1990s!!! We wouldn't want THE SDC Website to do so in the 21st Century!!! Good grieeeeeeeeeeeeef!!!

Btw, the idea for a mod section in TW was passed by a large margin (to the SDC Board's chagrin) by an open vote of those in attendance at an International Meet, no less... even back then!

Given that and looking at the current vote here, I can see why I avoided this forum for so long! :(

Bob Andrews
05-04-2015, 05:33 AM
I don't see the problem. I frequent other car forums, some that have upwards of 20 sub-forums. They don't hurt a thing. As Jerry said, I simply click the 'What's New' tab and get them all. I rarely pay any attention to what forum the various posts came from.

I agree with what Dick said above about sub-forums, except Stove Huggers. It seems some forget that a forum is made up of PEOPLE, not robots; and as such, we relate to each other about much more that just Studebakers. I see nothing wrong with having a forum where people can actually socialize a little with fellow Studebaker lovers. Again, doesn't hurt a thing.

Maybe, if possible, it would be good to have a feature where the curmudgeons could customize their logon where they don't have to get upset with the idea that some like to socialize. Maybe just combine General and Technical, so they don't have to be offended by the desire of the rest of us to socialize. Otherwise, make all the sub-forums you want. My favorite car forum has something like 20. And, nobody seems to harumph about them one bit.

TrickyRick
05-04-2015, 06:33 AM
I propose a new poll regarding a sub-forum for purists! :^P

Mike Van Veghten
05-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Why ?
MANY things overlap and some would missout on info that could help them because he/she doesn't go to the "modified" section.

Plus...when I see someone that says that they "restored" their 50's car, BUT it has some 18" aluminum wheel, disc brakes, a Chevy engine (in a Stude !)...and so on... BUT it's "restored.." !

As noted above, "maybe" a purist section, but then again, see the above sentance. I see it all the time.

Mike

Chris Pile
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
I see we are running almost 2 to 1 against....

05-04-2015, 09:06 AM
I see we are running almost 2 to 1 against....
Add me to the two-to-one against vote.

Dick Steinkamp
05-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I agree with what Dick said above about sub-forums, except Stove Huggers. It seems some forget that a forum is made up of PEOPLE, not robots; and as such, we relate to each other about much more that just Studebakers. I see nothing wrong with having a forum where people can actually socialize a little with fellow Studebaker lovers. Again, doesn't hurt a thing.

Bob,
I have nothing against socializing on the Forum. I do it all the time (maybe too much ;)). The lack of a "Stove Huggers" sub forum in the early days of the forum didn't stop socializing. Most of the socializing centered around Studebakers, or Studebaker events (past, present and future) Studebaker friendships, or cars in general. It was the kind of socializing that car guys and gals generally do when they get together.

(IMHO) "Socializing" is different from a sub forum that invites posters to open a thread on virtually any subject, and in many cases push the limits on the forum rules. I am fairly certain that more posts and entire threads have been deleted on the Stove Huggers sub forum than all the other sub forums combined (probably many times the amount of posts and threads deleted from the other sub forums). I know of 2 such threads in the last 5 days that were deleted and there are most likely more. Those threads and posts lie there often for days before a moderator finds them and nukes them. In the meantime, they are not giving a great impression of the forum and its members. There are many more threads and posts there that don't quite make the criteria to be deleted but don't represent the forum very well (one on there now degrading blondes and women in general).

Socializing...a big YES. Part of the fun of the hobby for most. A sub forum to post anything under the sun that you can get away with...not so good IMHO.

candbstudebakers
05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Do what ever is voted on, I for one only open what I see might be of interest to me, if I open something and find it doesn't I move on at my pace, the more subs is not bad because some times they come in handy just like the computer.

Buzzard
05-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Lets face it, most of us here are gear-heads with a strong interest in Studebakers. As such I find myself posting (what I consider to be of any interest to you others) some non-Studebaker links of interest. I get quite a few aeronautical links from friends who probably don't even know about Studebakers, but non the less, they have been liked by many of you for a pure informative and entertainment point of view(as noted by many of your comments). As Bob in Post# 40 states, if it isn't of interest, don't open it or quickly move on. Lets try to get along and assist those who require assistance and have no where else to turn. There are no longer corner gas stations where you could wander in and most likely get assistance from some grizzled old mechanic that had been there forever.
As an aside, Bob in Castro Valley recently assisted me big time and resolved a big problem I was having with my Packard registry. He has never yet met me but did point me in the right direction for fruition. A very big "thank you", Bob. To me that is the beauty of this forum.
Cheers everyone,
Bill

48skyliner
05-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I will repeat what I said recently on another thread, and has been said here by Pat Dilling: There should be a subforum for major projects - stock restorations, restomods, custom or race car builds. I see no need to have a separate subforum for stock vs modified projects. In either case the objective is presumably to share the experience and ideas with others who might find the information useful or interesting.

I do think people should be encouraged to title their thread with something that actually describes the project, for the benefit of future searches - many people seem to do a poor job of this.

I think minor projects like installing better brakes or rebuilding a stock engine can be covered in the technical section.

Other forums I have been associated with have sub forums called "Projects" or "build threads" , and most of them involve many months, sometimes years of spare time work.

WilburV
05-05-2015, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=48skyliner;918426]I will repeat what I said recently on another thread, and has been said here by Pat Dilling: There should be a subforum for major projects - stock restorations, restomods, custom or race car builds. I see no need to have a separate subforum for stock vs modified projects. In either case the objective is presumably to share the experience and ideas with others who might find the information useful or interesting.

There is a reason that most car forums have a "project car" or "build thread" subforum-it's the best way to get in depth information on the rebuilding effort, either as a stock restoration, radical custom or somewhere in between.

Dick Steinkamp
05-05-2015, 10:11 AM
We currently have one (1) project thread going in all sub forums...maybe a couple more if you count those that are rarely updated. I really wonder if we had a Project Sub-Forum if we'd actually get more projects posted. I would doubt that the lack of this sub-forum is what is keeping projects from being posted.

Years ago we did get projects posted on this forum. I did several myself. I'm not sure what has happened, but it is rare to see one posted now. Any ideas on why this is occurring? The biggest threads here seem to be about Ford pick up trucks or "critiques" of cars found on eBay. Is anyone actually working on a Stude, and if so, what keeps you from posting progress on your project (stock or modified)?

One other comment. We currently have a hard time making a post under the right sub forum. For example, in the General Forum, the first 9 posts...5 should be in the Tech Talk sub forum (Vacuum Advance, Is it Common for a 62 GT to Vapor Lock, What is the Best way to Attach Inner and Outer Fender, and GT Pulls to the Side when Brakes Applied). Rarely are posts to the wrong forum moved by the mods. Adding one more Sub Forum will only make this situation worse.

r1lark
05-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Years ago we did get projects posted on this forum. I did several myself. I'm not sure what has happened, but it is rare to see one posted now. Any ideas on why this is occurring?

Sure, just look at the project thread "Silver Hawk Major Modifications" by new forum member Treblig. He was criticized, ridiculed, and accused almost from the first post. Luckily he has thick enough skin to stick it out, and is still here. But I believe this type of response is why people don't want to post ongoing threads on projects - too much chance of attracting the attention of certain people who seem to make it their goal in life to criticize and run down the efforts of others.

showbizkid
05-05-2015, 11:37 AM
We currently have a hard time making a post under the right sub forum. For example, in the General Forum, the first 9 posts...5 should be in the Tech Talk sub forum (Vacuum Advance, Is it Common for a 62 GT to Vapor Lock, What is the Best way to Attach Inner and Outer Fender, and GT Pulls to the Side when Brakes Applied). Rarely are posts to the wrong forum moved by the mods.

Not to dive into minutia, but we actually move posts all the time; you just may not see it! Those five posts you mentioned were all from the same member; all have been moved with 3-day redirects.

We also re-title (expand or edit) posts to be more descriptive, on a regular basis. All part of the service :)

Dick Steinkamp
05-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Not to dive deeper into minutia, but the fact that "we move posts all the time" probably indicates we have too many and/or confusing sub forums. Also, one of those 5 threads was started 3 days ago. With 11 current sub forums to monitor I can certainly understand why threads can't get found and moved in a timely fashion. It just seems that with fewer sub forums, the chance of the original post being in the correct one goes up. Also, less work for mods.

BTW, doesn't this thread belong in "Club and Forum Discussions"? ;)

Blue 15G
05-06-2015, 09:29 AM
I agree with GinettaG12P. (Post # 4) Modified is an ambiguous term.

studerodder
05-06-2015, 11:27 AM
This group has it's detractors when talking about hot rodders. I suspect the ratio will stay right where it is now. I am a hot rodder and ex circle track racer so my version of cool doesn't always fit here. Doesn't matter - I'll keep doing it my way.

Bob Andrews
05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Bob,
I have nothing against socializing on the Forum. I do it all the time (maybe too much ;)). The lack of a "Stove Huggers" sub forum in the early days of the forum didn't stop socializing. Most of the socializing centered around Studebakers, or Studebaker events (past, present and future) Studebaker friendships, or cars in general. It was the kind of socializing that car guys and gals generally do when they get together.

(IMHO) "Socializing" is different from a sub forum that invites posters to open a thread on virtually any subject, and in many cases push the limits on the forum rules. I am fairly certain that more posts and entire threads have been deleted on the Stove Huggers sub forum than all the other sub forums combined (probably many times the amount of posts and threads deleted from the other sub forums). I know of 2 such threads in the last 5 days that were deleted and there are most likely more. Those threads and posts lie there often for days before a moderator finds them and nukes them. In the meantime, they are not giving a great impression of the forum and its members. There are many more threads and posts there that don't quite make the criteria to be deleted but don't represent the forum very well (one on there now degrading blondes and women in general).

Socializing...a big YES. Part of the fun of the hobby for most. A sub forum to post anything under the sun that you can get away with...not so good IMHO.

Dick I had not intended to ignore your comment, I have been busy.

What I am referring to by socializing is things like talking about their work, or family members, or maybe that they have fallen ill and are recovering. People post stories how about nine Studebakers and interesting things about the hobby in general. Those are all things of interest to people who are trying to relate to each other from a distance. If we limit to strictly Studebakers you will lose all of that. To me, that eliminates a lot of the human aspect of it. For example, I enjoyed reading and hearing about him seeing the nine Studebaker cars you have had. I just loved that Daimler. These are some of the things that by definition we would have to miss out on. As for threads that people upset themselves over, well, hypersensitivity is just part of this form. In the end, I don't think anyone is harmed.

The world is a lot bigger than Studebakers, and human beings are a lot more interesting than strictly Studebaker facts. It's hard enough to get people interested and keep them. I don't think we need to add weighs more ways to exclude them. And, I think illuminating stove huggers would have that effect.It's hard enough to get people interested and keep them. I don't think we need to add more ways to exclude them. And, I think eliminating stove huggers would have that effect.

showbizkid
05-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Let me jump in...

There's some topic drift here (big surprise! :) ). We're not going to be eliminating Stove Huggers. The question here has to do with a sub-board for discussion of modified/hot rod/custom Studes. Let's get back to that discussion.

DEEPNHOCK
05-09-2015, 06:35 AM
True words.
A sub forum would only allow those that actually build things to go and share their experience and enthusiasm.
A sub forum would only allow those that disagree with how others build things to go and put down and complain.
A poll only puts it in print, and polls depend on accuracy and honest participation...and a neutral poll question.

This group has it's detractors when talking about hot rodders. I suspect the ratio will stay right where it is now. I am a hot rodder and ex circle track racer so my version of cool doesn't always fit here. Doesn't matter - I'll keep doing it my way.

sweetolbob
05-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Interesting that the pole results have names attached as to how they voted. Personally, I don't care if every vote I make is broadcast to the world but it's interesting to look at the names. I would have thought that the folks that generally contribute the most build information would be on the side of adding a post to keep the info more accessible but it looks like a fairly even split (yea/neh) among them.

That, to me, suggests that there is a flaw in the concept so it will either go away as the results indicate or we need to change the direction.

Personally, I don't care about the new sub-board either way but if I could improve anything it would be the search function. Try to find something without a myriad of nonsense is either difficult or beyond my old cerebellum. The one thing the forum needs to do to help find the value/help/creativity that we have in residence or we can create 25 more sub-boards and even then we'll bury the important info.

Yup! I veered away again. Bob

SScopelli
05-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Hate to kick the Hornet's Nest, but I like the Idea of the "Modified Studebakers,"

One nice thing about adding that category is, you, the forum member, can chose not to go down that Rabbit's Hole if you chose not to..

Buzzard
05-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I'm all for it as I'm always interested in seeing someone else's interpretation of how to accomplish any said task at hand. That discussion is modifications and I find it so cool to see subtle mods someone has done which are not apparent at first glance.
So "YES".
Bill

bezhawk
05-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Let me put my two cents in. I believe the question is whether there should be a separate forum for modified Studes. My take is no, since most Studes are modified from the first day of ownership. One adds floor mats, locking gas cap, door edge guards etc. It may be small, but it's personalization of ones property. I'm not against this in any way shape or form. Heck even changing drivetrains is keeping a car on the road and being enjoyed. I will always be open to sharing information on either keeping them running either stock, or as the case may be....heavily modified. I don't think banishing people to a separate page that modify their cars, promotes better participation. Building fences isn't an answer I personally like to see happen.

Studedude
05-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Hate to kick the Hornet's Nest, but I like the Idea of the "Modified Studebakers,"

One nice thing about adding that category is, you, the forum member, can chose not to go down that Rabbit's Hole if you chose not to..\
True, but there will be those dogs that will continue to bark at the hole, even if the rabbit is long gone.

studerodder
05-11-2015, 03:03 PM
I am involved in building a modified studebaker v8 for my 64 Daytona hardtop. Am I gonna start a build thread? Not likely in this environment. Those opinions that I respect are well aware of what I am doing. The rest are gonna miss out on a cool project due to hard core curmudgeons that dwell here.

DEEPNHOCK
05-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Sad thing is... Once you opt out by not participating... Then they've won..
And we all lose.
But....
Butch.. Y'all wander over to Sonny's Racing Studebaker Forum...

http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/index.php

Post your project there, and I guarantee nobody will give you a hard time.

I am involved in building a modified studebaker v8 for my 64 Daytona hardtop. Am I gonna start a build thread? Not likely in this environment. Those opinions that I respect are well aware of what I am doing. The rest are gonna miss out on a cool project due to hard core curmudgeons that dwell here.

studerodder
05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
I've been there any times,Jeff, but I just can't crack the code. It locks me out for being a non-member even though I was a member before the site had spammer issues. Gotta say your black car is the coolest. I have noticed that 53 - 54 c/k cars are exempt from a lot of this baloney.

BobPalma
05-11-2015, 04:52 PM
I've been there many times,Jeff, but I just can't crack the code. It locks me out for being a non-member even though I was a member before the site had spammer issues. Gotta say your black car is the coolest. I have noticed that 53 - 54 c/k cars are exempt from a lot of this baloney.

:confused: Butch: I'll send you Racing Forum Head Honcho Sonny Josker's e-mail address in a PM. Contact Sonny and ask him about your problem accessing Racing Studebakers. :cool: BP

BILT4ME
05-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Yes, we could break it down by Purists, Racers, Hard Core, and street modified.

Then have sub-sections by model and /or years.

Buzzard
05-11-2015, 07:38 PM
K.I.S.S.
Bill

Bob Andrews
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM

Me as well. Sad but true.

Nobody wins or loses. It's just a forum. Some day I may post more of my current Daytona build. Or maybe not. Doesn't affect me or the car either way.

Skip Lackie
05-12-2015, 11:09 AM

I must be reading the wrong posts (or I am particularly oblivious), but I really haven't noticed anything (lately) other than some playful jesting and the occasional snarky (easily ignore-able) remark. At one time, this forum was pretty much dominated by the anti-rod crowd, but those days seem (to me) to be pretty much over. Without wishing to defend rude behavior, it shouldn't be too hard to understand the motivations of those who value authentic restoration over rodding/modification. Most of the old car clubs were originally founded by people who wanted some way to determine whose car was "best". Restoration to originality was the obvious criterion selected. The AACA and the CCCA created the "environment" of which you speak -- and there are still many adherents to that religion.

Only later (the late 1990s?) did the hot rodding culture (that started in the 1940s) slowly merge with the restoration religion that had dominated the old car clubs. It will take a while before the two cultures can exist side by side without a few sparks now and then. (An aside: the Vintage Chevy Club has been going through a much more contentious debate over whether modified Chevys should be allowed at all. While SDC's mission statement mostly says the club is there to honor and preserve Studes (without specifying whether original or not), the VCCA's charter explicitly states that the club should be devoted to maintaining original features. So SDC is actually ahead of the curve.)

borracho
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
I would like to see more builds posted here, stock or modified. If another sub forum makes that happen, I would be for it. I also don't post anything about my modified Stude. Not because I'm afraid of purists, but because the car still looks terrible!

hausdok
05-13-2015, 03:52 AM
I'm in favor of it. I'd also like to see the rules for Stove Huggers changed to prohibit discussion of anything unrelated to automobiles and the auto hobby. No more posts about whatever has pissed us off today. No more railing at the system and tip toeing around politics because you've got hankering to get something said about a pol or the "guvmint", no more long debates about whether or not it's OK to wish someone a Happy whatever. Keep it about cars of other makes and about club activities and about this hobby - nothing else.

There are hundreds, nay, thousands, of other forums all over the net where one can find like-minded liberals, conservatives and progressives. Where one can excoriate a pol if one wants to, where one can prosthelytize, where those who are closet bigots can find other bigots that will be sympathetic to their views about "those people", where one can discuss economic theories and suggest reasons for the decline of the human race and all sorts of stuff like that - stuff that we see here time and again which nobody really comes here to see. Some folks like to go on-and-on about why this economic thing doesn't work or theorize about reasons for this or that non-car, non-club or non-stude subject and sometimes it looks like folks do it just to be able to read their own blather or be self-important. The rest of us, click on, see it's someone droning on again about stuff non-car, non-club, non-stude and we sigh, shake our heads and click back off again, searching sometimes in vain for some kernel of stude or car wisdom among all of that stuff.

Want to go on about how the Chinese make crap? I'll bet you can find hundreds of places to wear that one out for hours and not a single person will object to what you say. Want to bemoan some athlete that had his head up his bottom and did something criminal or stupid? Heck there are talk radio stations that do that day in and day out and they let you call in and add your own version of events. It doesn't have to be here. Want to piss and moan about the guy in the White House or those who want him out of the white house? There're more sites for that than you could visit if you looked at a different one every five minutes for the next ten years. Go there - don't put it here.

None of that should be welcomed here. It's a site for automobile hobbyists - specifically Studebakers - but it allows discussions of other brands of cars and of swap meets, weekend drive-ins, etc.. that's what one should find here. Not a bunch of oh-so-boring discussions about everything except cars and the hobby. All of that other stuff screws up search engine results and makes it pretty hard sometimes to find specific stude info here because of all of the non-club-non-stude-non-car-hobby stuff that's constantly dumped into the database.

Truth is; we don't even need a formal rule; it could stop this instant if everyone, including me - especially me - I tend to get out in left field, were to exercise more self discipline and confine their comments and discussions to things Studebaker, things car hobby and things club-related. We members can enforce that by refusing to respond to a seed post that's got nothing to do with the hobby, cars or the club and allowing such posts to die on the vine. When we see a member friend going off on one of these tangents we can send him or her a PM and explain why their seed post isn't being responded to and suggest that they just delete their posts so the irrelavent topic matter won't clog up search engines. We members, and non-members participating here, can make that happen. We just have to resolve to do it.

Bob Andrews
05-13-2015, 04:33 AM
The above makes no sense. If this is going to be an encyclopedia, so be it. But if it's a collection of human beings interacting with each other, then banning all this is ridiculous.

hausdok
05-13-2015, 05:18 AM
Of course it makes no sense - if you are one of those who constantly bumps threads off-topic or likes to read your own prose, but those of us who come here to interact with those who want to share their knowledge about how to fix brakes, or which transmission workaround works best, or which vendor has certain hard-to-find parts, or figure out an automotive puzzle don't come here to read about driving around in the snow - or arguments about whether or not someone actually did or did not drive in the snow - we come here to learn and we don't have to actually "interact" to do that if we can find what we need in the database.

Want to interact? There are lots of places to interact with other humans on the net, Bob. Interact here about Studes, cars and the club. Interact about other stuff on those other sites.

I know from first hand experience how badly off-topic stuff screws up a site's database. Folks coming here to learn about Studebakers could pull up more information about the subjects they want to learn about if the subject matter in the database weren't so corrupted with stuff that has nothing to do with the club, other cars or studes.

Every once in a while I go into my archives and spend a few hours scrolling through threads from years ago and removing non-relevant posts from those threads. After years of doing so searches of my site are pulling up a whole lot more stuff that's helpful to the participants' businesses - the reason they go there - and far fewer irrelevant topics.

Weren't you on the other day in another thread about non-members use of bandwidth, how much it costs and how folks should join the club? Well, what do you think it costs to maintain bandwidth for the huge chunk of the stuff in the archives that has nothing to do with other cars, studes or the club? I bet if content were actually analyzed here that the amount of stuff that's got nothing to do with the club, cars in general or studes dwarfs the information available that's actually about those topics. If I'm right, it would be the regulars who are the usual suspects who've gotten the database to that state and not the non-members.

Bob Andrews
05-13-2015, 06:02 AM
No, I wasn't in that discussion at all, except to encourage a friend not to leave the forum.

If you could turn off your personal bias, you would see that I don't post much here anymore; haven't in a while- like many others. And being unprofessional in your role as a moderator- example above- certainly contributes to that much more than people interacting as friends with a common interest.

Yes, there are other sites, but none with THIS GROUP assembled. That comment is akin to saying that people should go to Mikey's Tavern when they want to talk to their friends that hang out at O'Handley's bar across town. That would be foolish- as it would be to try to discuss OT things with your Stude buddies on a different forum.

hausdok
05-13-2015, 06:34 AM
There you go with that personal bias thing again. I told you before, Bob. I am not out to get you. I can't even imagine where you've gotten that idea.

Not sure why having an opinion about a topic is unprofessional. it's my opinion. I have as much right to state my opinion here as you do and the fact that I'm a moderator has nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying don't interact; I'm saying interact but keep it about the club, cars and studes. Isn't that enough to talk about on a forum put up by a Studebaker club?

I've had my say, which I was entitled to, by the way. Now I'll just drop it. No point in tearing up someone else's thread by getting into an argument with you about whether a moderator has a right to state his own opinions.

BobPalma
05-13-2015, 06:46 AM
We members can enforce that by refusing to respond to a seed post that's got nothing to do with the hobby, cars or the club and allowing such posts to die on the vine. When we see a member friend going off on one of these tangents we can send him or her a PM and explain why their seed post isn't being responded to and suggest that they just delete their posts so the irrelevant topic matter won't clog up search engines. We members, and non-members participating here, can make that happen. We just have to resolve to do it.

:confused: Mike: I don't understand how we, as individual members (not moderators), have the ability to delete our own posts. It seems like we used to have that ability, but not any more.

Example: The following post, while containing Studebaker and South Bend content, is now obsolete because the ending time for the auction has passed. I would like to be able to delete the post, but can't see how I, as the author of the post, can do so:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?88307-Short-Notice-two-small-auction-items

Is there some vehicle for deleting one's own posts of which I am not aware? Right now, I don't see how it can be done. (Edit them yes, but delete them outright, no.)

Thanks. :) :cool: BP

DEEPNHOCK
05-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Bob...
You can delete a post.
I just made a post to this thread and then deleted it.
Select 'edit'
Then select the 'delete' button/tab.
You have to select "X" the delete button to complete the delete.

As a side note...
You can edit your thread header (spelling errors?) be selecting 'edit', then select 'advanced'
Then you can edit your header.

:confused: Mike: I don't understand how we, as individual members (not moderators), have the ability to delete our own posts. It seems like we used to have that ability, but not any more.

Example: The following post, while containing Studebaker and South Bend content, is now obsolete because the ending time for the auction has passed. I would like to be able to delete the post, but can't see how I, as the author of the post, can do so:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?88307-Short-Notice-two-small-auction-items

Is there some vehicle for deleting one's own posts of which I am not aware? Right now, I don't see how it can be done. (Edit them yes, but delete them outright, no.)

Thanks. :) :cool: BP

BobPalma
05-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Bob...
You can delete a post.
I just made a post to this thread and then deleted it.
Select 'edit'
Then select the 'delete' button/tab.
You have to select "X" the delete button to complete the delete.

As a side note...
You can edit your thread header (spelling errors?) be selecting 'edit', then select 'advanced'
Then you can edit your header.

:) Thanks, Jeff.

I think I see what the problem is. I just tried again to delete that TOPIC (thread) I started about the auction. The DELETE option did not appear, so I have no way of deleting it.

However, when I tried the same procedure to delete my Post #58 to this thread, above, I saw the delete option, as you say. (I didn't try to delete the post, but I know I could have.)

So the Moderators may be able to confirm this: It seems like you can delete your post within a thread, but you cannot delete your post if it is the original post that opened the thread.

Hence, the problem remains, since Mod Mike suggested our PMing friends to suggest they delete a topic they have started if it seems to be going nowhere or might be inappropriate. But it appears you can't do that (delete your post that opened a topic) as a simple board participant. (Yeah, I know; we are all simple...;))

:oModerators? :cool: BP

DEEPNHOCK
05-13-2015, 09:17 AM
You can delete a thread you started, but not if someone has responded to it.
After someone has responded, only the moderators can delete it.
However....
You can 'edit' your original thread (including the header) and make those that have responded look totally goofy:whome::rolleyes:
(I am only here to help)

:) Thanks, Jeff.

I think I see what the problem is. I just tried again to delete that TOPIC (thread) I started about the auction. The DELETE option did not appear, so I have no way of deleting it.

However, when I tried the same procedure to delete my Post #58 to this thread, above, I saw the delete option, as you say. (I didn't try to delete the post, but I know I could have.)

So the Moderators may be able to confirm this: It seems like you can delete your post within a thread, but you cannot delete your post if it is the original post that opened the thread.

Hence, the problem remains, since Mod Mike suggested our PMing friends to suggest they delete a topic they have started if it seems to be going nowhere or might be inappropriate. But it appears you can't do that (delete your post that opened a topic) as a simple board participant. (Yeah, I know; we are all simple...;))

:oModerators? :cool: BP

Mrs K Corbin
05-13-2015, 09:21 AM
while you're at it a Classifieds Section would be good too....

showbizkid
05-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Regarding deleting one's own posts and threads:
- You cannot delete entire threads. This requires a Moderator's action.
- You can delete or edit individual posts, and there is no time limit on doing so.

I have already asked (politely) (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?88148-Poll-Should-We-Create-quot-Modified-Studebakers-quot-Sub-Board&p=919286&viewfull=1#post919286) that we stick to the topic, in this thread and poll, of whether or not adding a Modified sub-board would be beneficial. I am asking again that we discuss just this topic.

hausdok
05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Hi Bob,

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I had to get some sleep or I would have been of no use to anyone today. I guess we're in different time zones. I hadn't realized that one could not delete one's own posts. All the more reason to exercise restraint. Nuff said. Sorry, Boss, I'll stop screwing up your thread now. :o

Dick Steinkamp
05-13-2015, 11:07 AM
I have already asked (politely)[/URL] that we stick to the topic, in this thread and poll, of whether or not adding a Modified sub-board would be beneficial. I am asking again that we discuss just this topic.

Yes, the thread has attracted related thoughts and suggestions other than strictly the original topic. I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. I would hope that the powers that be are constantly seeking ways to make the forum better. If a few good ideas pop up here all the better (IMHO).

Here are some of the ideas that have (so far) come out of this thread...

1. Do we already have too many sub forums?
2. Do we want a sub forum for projects?
3. How should we define "modified"?
4. Do we want a for sale/wanted sub forum?
5. Should we eliminate Stove Huggers or limit the allowed topics there?
6. Should we have a sub forum for purely stock Studebakers?
7. How can we improve the search function on the forum?

I think they are all valid topics and all worth discussing by forum members. I'm all for limiting the discussion here to the topic at hand, but I would hope the ideas brought up in this tread get the same exposure as this one. By that I mean a sticky that stays on top in the General Sub Forum (not buried in the "proper" Forum and Club Discussion sub forum that is never used).

hausdok
05-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Dick,

That cart hauler of yours was the ultimate modified. A very cool car and extremely well-done - the kind of thing an owner thinking of customizing his or her Stude would probably love to be able to easily find in a modified thread instead of digging through everything else looking for it. If the club were 100% purists we all might never have had the chance to see it. I've never searched for it here. Did you document that build here someplace?

Dick Steinkamp
05-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Dick,

That cart hauler of yours was the ultimate modified. A very cool car and extremely well-done - the kind of thing an owner thinking of customizing his or her Stude would probably love to be able to easily find in a modified thread instead of digging through everything else looking for it. If the club were 100% purists we all might never have had the chance to see it. I've never searched for it here. Did you document that build here someplace?

Mike,
I didn't do a "build thread", but I did do a bunch of individual threads as I made progress on the car. I "collected" those individual posts and built a blog with them as the basis. It is here...

http://studeute.steinkamp.us/

The blog goes from most recent post to oldest. It might make more sense to page back to the oldest post using the "older posts" link at the bottom of each page, then progressing to the newest. I think I bought the car in December of 2007, but didn't start working on it until the summer of 2008 since I had a few projects in front of it. I finished it in time for the GNRS in January of 2009.

Check out "The Kart Hauler is For Sale" link at the top of the blog also. I thought it was one of my best eBay listings, but the car didn't sell on eBay. I took it to GoodGuys Pleasanton, CA, in August of 2009 and it sold in the first few hours Friday at that show to a collector from Texas who had seen it on eBay. That was a good thing since I got to hang out with Pat Dilling and Jon Stalnaker once it sold.

wittsend
05-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Creating a category for cars that have alterations is not being separatists, it is clarifying what that car is. Separatism would be banning them from the forum or forcing them into that category (against their desire). In the majority of cases it is people with altered cars asking for this category, not the purists forcing them into it. As a likely minority (altered car perspective) a voting process will have small chance of ever being a deciding factor in their favor. So, those in the final decision process either need to see the benefit (regardless of a vote count) or not allow the change.

If I might suggest, why not just add "Modified" as a prefix under Technical Talk? An overwhelming large amount of alterations would would fall under some form of "Technical" aspect. Is it possible to do a prefix only search? If so, then those who desire a modified category could have one with a few mouse clicks. At the same time the base aspects of the forum are not altered.

BILT4ME
05-13-2015, 02:30 PM
I just started on here and have been searching for the "Classified" section. There really isn't a "Classifieds" section? WHHHAAAAATTT?

Corvanti
05-13-2015, 03:12 PM
for classifieds, go here: http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

or here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/classified.asp

Corvanti
05-13-2015, 03:24 PM
for a good compromise, i suggest as some of the above have stated, a "sticky" (my 1st pick) or a subject header stating "Build" (either to original or modified) in the Technical Forum, might be the way to go!!!:)

idk if that would probably take less "bandwidth" than a sub-forum, and ones not interested could still easily not click on either one...

i did vote "no" on the poll for a new sub-forum, but i do like looking at the build process of them all.

Skip Lackie
05-13-2015, 05:17 PM
I just started on here and have been searching for the "Classified" section. There really isn't a "Classifieds" section? WHHHAAAAATTT?
The subject of the lack of a classified section here has been discussed here many times in the past -- but since you're new, you wouldn't know that. The short version is that SDC pays for this board and the club's board of directors does not want to create a competitor to the classified section in the club magazine. Once the magazine has been published each month, the ads from that issue appear on the main SDC page:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/classified.asp

And there's another swap page available that is not associated with SDC:
http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php

The use of the forum search function should produce links to lengthy discussions of this topic; probably more than you want to read.

Chrissull
05-14-2015, 06:59 PM
In a bind... Redoing upholstery on 38 Studebaker Commander. Need to remove the cloth handle in rear of car by quarter glass called (Assist Grip) does anyone know how those get removed?

BobPalma
05-14-2015, 07:20 PM
In a bind... Redoing upholstery on 38 Studebaker Commander. Need to remove the cloth handle in rear of car by quarter glass called (Assist Grip) does anyone know how those get removed?

;) Hi, Chris. Sadly, your request is posted in the wrong place. It won't receive any attention here. :(

Repost it in the TECH section, under the sub-heading BODY. :) BP

Chrissull
05-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks Just starting out, never posted before. Thanks again

Guido
05-14-2015, 10:06 PM
My vote is no, we need fewer sub forums and should remove the non Studebaker ones in existence (i.e. Stove Huggers). If your sole reason for being here is to socialize and call people you have never met your "good friend", I would suggest Facebook is the appropriate venue for you.

JRoberts
05-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Put me in the "no" column. There is no real need, that I can see, for separate and modified sub-forums. Too many sub-forums lead to less participation at least in my case. I wouldn't know what forum to go to -- my '65 Cruiser has the orginial 283, but it has been warmed up a bit. It has been lowered some and has over sized sway bars and MOPAR cop car wheels. My Champ has an R1 engine. With the introduction of a modified sub-forum where would I go? Don't make things too hard keep stuff as it is.

TomB
05-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Great idea to spin off the modified Studebakers.

It always breaks my heart to see so many mutilated Studebakers depicted in Turning Wheels, chopped and ruined, destroying their original beauty.

4653Stude
05-24-2015, 08:12 PM
I think it would be a great idea.

Chris_Dresbach
05-25-2015, 03:16 PM
My vote is no. There's no need for it since 99.9% of the cars discussed on this forum are modified in some way.
I also agree with a previous post that the entire forum should be four sections: main Studebaker forum, tech, classifieds, and everything else.

Bob Andrews
05-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Just one of my purposes here is to visit here with as Gweed says, my good friends, of which I have many. I wish everyone had as many good friends here as I do. So it works well that we can converse on OT topics as friends. When I offer on-topic input based on my 40+ years of experience, to me it's a bonus. And while I rarely come here anymore, when I do l hit the 'What's New' button at the top, since SH is just as important to me as the other pages. And any new pages would be treated the same way. So, whatever for me.

jnfweber
05-28-2015, 07:26 PM
A "Modified Studebakers" sub forum kind of puts them in the "separate but equal" category (IMHO) ;). Forum members only have to click on those threads that interest them.

I vote for fewer sub forums...not more.

I think we could do away with "drive your Studebaker day forum" (last post there a month and a half ago), "judging forum" (going on 2 months without a post), "club and forum discussion" (essentially just used to welcome new members. Other posts could easily be just a question to Clark), "Studebaker passings" (kind of morbid actually. I don't see a problem with posting the passing of a noted SDC member in the general forum). Last but not least "stove huggers" (more trouble that it is worth. Doesn't add a thing to Studebakering...only drives potential members away).

I agree with Dick. Enough said.

Corvanti
06-05-2015, 09:13 PM
ok, it's been a few days since the poll closed. a "whole" 102 folks voted - what is that - about 1% of SDC members and maybe 15 to 20% of regular forum posters?

the "nays" won by 8 votes - 53.92% vs. 46.08% (i did vote nay). what does this mean? IMHO, not much.

after taking a few days mainly away from the forum to visit family, last night i looked at many threads. it really bothered me that there were so many posts pointing out the "not correct" issues of "new to the owner" Studebakers. lots of new folks posting lately. they didn't ask what's "wrong" with their Studebaker - just excited to have one and share their excitement. telling people what's "wrong" with their car is not a way to get more members to the forum and SDC. now, if they ask how to make it look "original" with parts, paint colors, etc. - go for it and tell what you know to make it so.

i started here with a highly modified '63 Avanti (i didn't do the mods - bought it that way). then a original survivor '40 Champion. now i am the caretaker of Tom Elliott's '51 Business Coupe. there are many NOS parts on her that are not on the Build Sheet, but were available thru the factory or dealers. i have the '51 Accessory Catalog from Studebaker. yes, i know the propeller on the bullet wasn't "factory", but can you tell me a dealer wouldn't have picked one up from J.C. Whitney or others if a buyer wanted one installed?

end of rant!

i really love my '51 and want to sell my '05 Caddy CTS and pick up another Studebaker for a daily driver. Thank you to SDC for having such a great forum where we can express ourselves - Studebaker related, of course...:)

DEEPNHOCK
06-05-2015, 09:36 PM
<snip>
i started here with a highly modified '63 Avanti (i didn't do the mods - bought it that way). then a original survivor '40 Champion. now i am the caretaker of Tom Elliott's '51 Business Coupe. there are many NOS parts on her that are not on the Build Sheet, but were available thru the factory or dealers. i have the '51 Accessory Catalog from Studebaker. yes, i know the propeller on the bullet wasn't "factory", but can you tell me a dealer wouldn't have picked one up from J.C. Whitney or others if a buyer wanted one installed?

end of rant!

i really love my '51 and want to sell my '05 Caddy CTS and pick up another Studebaker for a daily driver. Thank you to SDC for having such a great forum where we can express ourselves - Studebaker related, of course...:)

That is one sweet car....
Had the privilege of knowing Tom, and had a couple of nice rides in that car..... (I should pay more attention)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD_m3bC2_L0

Corvanti
06-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the video, Jeff. i did see that a couple years ago, but had forgotten about that steering wheel. that didn't make it here from GA.:(

Odintiger
06-11-2015, 06:42 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CiN0nAHg0Ow
Check it out

and I for one think its cool!!!!!!!

DEEPNHOCK
06-11-2015, 06:56 AM
ok, it's been a few days since the poll closed.
A "whole" 102 folks voted - what is that - about 1% of SDC members and maybe 15 to 20% of regular forum posters?

The "nays" won by 8 votes - 53.92% vs. 46.08% <snip>

There is already a great site for Studebaker builds (of all types) out there.
http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/index.php

C'mon over and post about your build there..No sniping and nitpicking.

Sonny
06-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Thank you Jeff. It's true, folks. The RacingStudebakers website and forums have been in operation for almost a dozen years. In fact, it went up immediately after we got the original SDC forums instituted and providing this great place, that it's members enjoy today.

Please visit and support your, VERY active and successful, Studebaker racing community!

THANK YOU!!!

TomB
07-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Yes, separate out chopped out and otherwise modified Studebakers into another forum. It breaks my heart to see Studebakers butchered for vanity projects of their owners. Just sad. I do not know what motivates these shallow and selfish owners.

mbstude
07-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Yes, separate out chopped out and otherwise modified Studebakers into another forum. It breaks my heart to see Studebakers butchered for vanity projects of their owners. Just sad. I do not know what motivates these shallow and selfish owners.

You are so right. My '53 Commander Starliner has been modified with a Cadillac engine since 1953. But I've decided to not be shallow or selfish. Does anyone have a 232 V8 that I can buy to put my car back to stock? I'm currently embarrassed to drive it unless I have a bag over my head.

Chris Pile
07-27-2015, 11:17 PM
Cracking me up, Matthew!

Bob Andrews
07-28-2015, 05:40 AM

This has got to be the dumbest post in a while. Surely nobody can be this ridiculously myopic. It's got to be a joke.

DEEPNHOCK
07-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Studebigotry at it's finest.....

karterfred88
07-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Well this thread has gone beyond the basic question. I think we've all posted pro and anti positions. How about a simple link to tech articles regarding Studebaker modifications. Could leave the forum completely out of it, like Racing Studebakers and Antique Studebakers, Studebaker Truck forum. Our search function is--at best--useless, in finding things we want to find as it is.

showbizkid
07-31-2015, 10:10 AM
I am closing this thread, as the poll is no longer open and the discussion is no longer edifying.