Valve Cover Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Valve Cover Gasket

If I were to attempt to make my own valve cover gasket for Earl (Scheib) the '51 Champion with a '64 ohv six, what would be the preferred material? Will old school cork work or is there something better. I'm really not that cheap I just hate to wait for shipping to rural Alaska. Thanks ahead of time,

Jeb

The 1561167 ($15.00) + 2 Grommets is a Neoprene Material and does WORK.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Richard, I'll send for the neoprene gasket as I have never attempted to cut that material before. I 'll get to play post office roulette; maybe a week, maybe three weeks depending on our post office/store/gas station/restaurant.

Comment

RTV silicone also works, but you might have fun trying to get the cover off in the future.

Comment

I cracked a cork gasket setting the valves at the PSMCDRs last Sept. They waved me off the track for smoking and dripping Joe Flannery and I dried it out and cleaned up the surfaces and repositioned it so I could complete the shoot-outs. I still get a little oil leak at the corner. I have Neoprene replacements like Rich mentioned from S.I. Anything I should know before I replace cork with neoprene?
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Sure, use the Standard method of installing Neoprene Gaskets, Permatex RTV Black Hi-Temp Silicone on the Covers, weighted overnight or an Hour or more. Then install with a thin coat on the head surface of the gaskets with the Head surface cleaned with Brake Clean or Lacquer Thinner.

Or, some people install them dry for easy valve Adjustment later, but I never have any problem removing the Sealant on the Heads with a Putty Knife, and replacing the Silicone on re-install. I like being sure there are NO drips/leaks.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich. Every little upgrade is like a new car!
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X