64 Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 64 Master Cylinder

I have a 64 Lark with power disk brakes. The master cylinder is 1560236. Should there be a check valve on the outlet end of the spring? The diagram nor the Master cylinder chart do not show it. I can't bench bleed it with out the valve in place. Thank you
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

There had better not be a ckeck valve or you will grind out your rotors. Bench bleeding is no different then any other vehicle it can be done. I do not use the return line method. I clamp the master cylinder ear in a vise, fill the master cylinder and with a couple plugs or even the rubber or plastic plugs very gently use a tool to push in the piston just enough to get the bubbles moving to the surface. Slow and gentle will do it. Yes the plugs will leak a bit but the object is to work the air out not work it like you are plungeing a toilet.
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I did not look up 1560236, but if it is a Dual Master Cylinder it is the wrong one, and you will have problems.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can make it work if you have the skill to disassemble it and remove the check valve and then reassemble but going from a single stage to a dual stage you will have to replumb your blake lines.
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

This is not a duel chamber master cylinder, This is single chamber. Same as on my 63 Avanti. I'm not changing any thing, it's just that valve on the end of the spring had me puzzled. I had not seen a master cylinder with out that valve.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
            This is not a duel chamber master cylinder, This is single chamber. Same as on my 63 Avanti. I'm not changing any thing, it's just that valve on the end of the spring had me puzzled. I had not seen a master cylinder with out that valve.Klif
            OK, it is a Disc. Brake Car, so you do NOT want a Residual Valve to keep pressure in the system because the Front Brakes will drag, so you are fine.

On the Disc. Brake Hawks, the Valve and it's rubber Seat have to be removed from the Standard Drum Brake '47-'64 Car under floor Master cylinder. Disc, Brake Hawk M/C's are NLA, not that you would ever need one.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
              This is not a duel chamber master cylinder, This is single chamber. Same as on my 63 Avanti. I'm not changing any thing, it's just that valve on the end of the spring had me puzzled. I had not seen a master cylinder with out that valve.
              Klif
              Disc brake Larks and Avanti's don't have them, easy to remove, lots of posts on removal here and on Bob's site. You may have gotten a Mopar unit (same innards) or one for a drum brake car, make sure it's
              1 1/8"bore and it may need a reducer to fit the brake line nut.
              Last edited by karterfred88; 04-30-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X