Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'51 Commander brakes on a '48 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: '51 Commander brakes on a '48 Commander?

I am going to go thru the brakes on a friend's '48 Commander convertible (!). I have a set of brakes with only about 1000 miles on them from my '51 V8 (I took em off to install Lark units) and was wondering if these will swap out (backing plates and all) to the '48 Commander. I have little experience with the pre-51 stuff.
    Thanks for any advice!
    Bruce

Bruce,

Since nobody has answered, I will give my two cents worth. The answer is no, why I can't remember. I think that it has to do with the spindle and or axel size but can't remember for sure.-Bill

Comment

I know the shoes are the same and the drums interchange. the wheel bearings changed in 1950 due to a different size/diameter shaft. I am not sure about the backing plates but as a friend has 1964 brakes on his 47 commander we know it can be done but may require you to drill different mounting holes in the backing plates. If you have the backing plates on the 48, I would think you would be fine to put the 51 drums and shoes on using the wheel bearings off the 48. The wheel cylinders are different between the two also. I would use the 48 WC. Good luck
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

It should be mentioned that the '48 drums are 5" bolt circle while the '51 drums are 4-1/2" bolt circle.

Comment

OK, thanks guys. My friend is bring his '48 over tomorrow so I can give it some stopping ability for his daughter's graduation!

Comment

Working...
          X