steering wheel replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: steering wheel replacement

hi I just joined the club and I already have a question. I bought a 1964 cruiser,i want to replace the steering with a smaller wheel and was wonder if there is a steering wheel from a Studebaker that is smaller,i like to keep the car original as possible. thanks in advance.

Leonard
    Welcome to the forum.
    We have a wonderful active SDC chapter in the Chicago area.
    Come join us.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

hello,yes I know I will join in the very near future,or would they let me join at the meeting villa park monthly meeting?

Comment

I tried a smaller wheel on my 65 thirty some years ago. I had it on for two days before I pulled it off and played frisbie with it and put the stock oval one back on. That oval shaped wheel gives you nice leverage why on earth would you want to change it?
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

big belly ?

Comment

steering wheel replacement

hi thanks for the input. you see I've always been a one hand wheel guy,and even throu I;m old I still can wheel a car around, it just gives me a good feeling, I don't expect you to under stand the way I drive. my wife may her soul rest in piece use to say that I never got over being 16. ha ha. good night my friend

Comment

leonard so you hold the wheel at 9:00 or 6:00. Well nothing says that you have to have the steering wheel put on straight. You do need to have the box centered but you can put the steering wheel on at an angle if you like. I have one car that way and it is easy to drive with one arm that way.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

I have a lovely Nardi wooden wheel I am planning to put in my CE. I have an adapter that will require some new holes to mount it but I expect it to be fairly simple. Its not too small I don't think.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

You won't find any stock that are "modern" dimensions. Twenty years ago I just bought a Grant with the appropriate adapter for my '63 Avanti, but I've no idea if they still have anything. Google is your friend. Best of luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X