CHROME OR WHAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHROME OR WHAT?

What is the shiny "chrome like" finish on some of the trim on the 1950 studebakers. Also, some of mine is dull in places, can it be made to shine again. If so, what is best to use for this purpose?

Also, some of the chromed parts have pits which of course cannot be removed but is there any technique which can be used to make the pieces look better till I can get them redone or find new pieces.

1950 2 timer
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

You have what we call "Korean" chrome. During that war, chrome plating was rationed and the cars were basically plated with nickle that was clear coated. The coating fogs and dulls after 50 years.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You have what we call "Korean" chrome. During that war, chrome plating was rationed and the cars were basically plated with nickle that was clear coated. The coating fogs and dulls after 50 years.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54,758.75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you are talking about the narrow mouldings around the windows, that material is stainless steel, and can be polished with one of the usually THREE grades of coarseness polishing compound sticks and a power buffer.

This is usually done by a professional, because off the car they are very fragile and would be ruined by a amateur.

The pits in the pot metal chrome can be filled with silver solder and ground and polished smooth to be copper, nickel and chrome plated. The sooner the better as the price goes up MONTHLY!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are talking about the narrow mouldings around the windows, that material is stainless steel, and can be polished with one of the usually THREE grades of coarseness polishing compound sticks and a power buffer.

This is usually done by a professional, because off the car they are very fragile and would be ruined by a amateur.

The pits in the pot metal chrome can be filled with silver solder and ground and polished smooth to be copper, nickel and chrome plated. The sooner the better as the price goes up MONTHLY!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can improve the appearence of your pitted pot metal with some 0000 steel wool but the improvement won't last long.

Some replaters will prep the pieces by grinding them down rather than silver soldering. This will lose the detail. You don't want that.

Pot metal restoration is very pricey. The chemicals used and the waste produced is nasty. The industry is at the mercy of the Environmental Protection Agency and we are at the mercy of the industry. The prices just continue to soar.
            If you have them properly restored you will end up with a better finish than the Korean chrome that came from the factory.

Stainless items can be straightend and polished to a brilliant shine. If you have the patience it's something you can do yourself. If not, it too can be costly.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You can improve the appearence of your pitted pot metal with some 0000 steel wool but the improvement won't last long.

Some replaters will prep the pieces by grinding them down rather than silver soldering. This will lose the detail. You don't want that.

Pot metal restoration is very pricey. The chemicals used and the waste produced is nasty. The industry is at the mercy of the Environmental Protection Agency and we are at the mercy of the industry. The prices just continue to soar.
              If you have them properly restored you will end up with a better finish than the Korean chrome that came from the factory.

Stainless items can be straightend and polished to a brilliant shine. If you have the patience it's something you can do yourself. If not, it too can be costly.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes, you are correct about the chrome process. I am in the biz & prices go up so fast that I have trouble keeping up. As high as my prices are, the other guys charge even more & sometimes do not put the work into them which is necessary to make old parts look perfect again.
                Jimmy, Let me know if I can help you.
                BH

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Yes, you are correct about the chrome process. I am in the biz & prices go up so fast that I have trouble keeping up. As high as my prices are, the other guys charge even more & sometimes do not put the work into them which is necessary to make old parts look perfect again.
                  Jimmy, Let me know if I can help you.
                  BH

Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Working...
                  X