1953 knob ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 knob ID

Stupid question. But what is the knob/pull?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1746796

I do not have that model Studebaker, but my first guess it is the overdrive cable.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It does look like O D. So I guess I may have like a 3/73 rear end gear. Does that give you greater top end speeds?

Comment

With that knob pulled out, the overdrive on your truck is locked out, and it will operate just like a straight three speed transmission. With it pushed in, the overdrive is able to engage and disengage, and disconcerting to some, freewheel when the vehicle is not in overdrive.

If it has not been used in sometime, it might not hurt to have some under the truck putting tension of the lock-out lever to take some of the pressure off the knob being pulled.

When these vehicles were new, those cable were free and easy moving and those plastic knobs could take the pressure - as the aged - pressure goes up and the chances of something breaking increases as well. Good luck.
        Last edited by 62champ; 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MilesofTx View Post
          It does look like O D. So I guess I may have like a 3/73 rear end gear. Does that give you greater top end speeds?
          With OD - final drive ratio is .7:1. I have a truck with a 4.27 rear end ratio. In OD, the final ratio is dropped down to 2.98 or so. Allows a low ratio vehicle to get to more of a reasonable higher speed but does not necessarily give it an ultimate higher speed. My grandparents '62 Lark had a 3.07 rear with 3sp/OD. It would actually run faster in straight third than in OD because the 259 V8 did not have the power in OD to go any faster than it did in straight 3rd.

Comment

That's great. Thank you. I hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
              ... the 259 V8 did not have the power in OD to go any faster than it did in straight 3rd.
              Patrick, would that not depend on the terrain? Or, at the very least, maintain speed with less fuel consumption?
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by MilesofTx View Post
                Stupid question. But what is the knob/pull?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]43014[/ATTACH]
                Those letters on it are OD. As in OverDrive. I know, it doesn't look like OD.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Patrick, would that not depend on the terrain? Or, at the very least, maintain speed with less fuel consumption?
                  That car did all its running around in the north central Texas area - not many hills to speak of - top end was not much different between the two - my father said it was probably 10 mph or so - but it was faster in third.

Uncle Milton bought it brand new and was known for being in a hurry - usually drove 80 just about everywhere he went. At that speed in OD it made just over 20 mpg. Another relative was with him once and challenged him to see if he could drive it at 60 for some better mpg - ended up being less than 1 mpg difference...

Comment

Working...
                  X