• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color scheme question

Click image for larger version

Name:	my_57_stude_20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1746774I was wondering if any of you know this car? I'd like to know the exact colors pictured here. I have a 1957 Studebaker color chart, and the closest colors listed on it are Coppertone Iridescent and Arctic White. However, the Coppertone paint chip, in particular, looks much less vibrant and less "Burnt Orange" than does the car in these pictures. As my wife and I are trying to decide on the colors for "Hazel the Hawk" (out '57 Silver Hawk), we really like the way this car looks. Is this the way Coppertone/Arctic looks in real life, or does this picture incorrectly represent those colors? BTW, the photo has the name "Dottie Gale" posted with it. Does anyone know who this might be, or how to contact her? Thanks!
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

That certainly does not look like Coppertone. Coppertone was, as expected, pretty much a copper color.
    Years ago, I had a '57 Silver Hawk that was Coppertone on the lower body, and Black on the upper body. That was a pretty combination!

Comment

This Silver Hawk may be an attempted match for Apache RED.
      There was Redwood Metallic in '57, often confused with Coppertone, but this is neither.

It is in direct sunlight and getting a Orange glow from too much Sun.

It also is most likely a re-paint and is lighter and more Orange than the Red they tried to match.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Go to your favorite paint store, look at their paint samples, decide on the colors you'd like for Hazel, have those colors made (blended) into high quality automotive paint, take the paint to your local favorite body shop and tell them you've brought your own paint (or arrange this beforehand) and get 'er done.
        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

A good Burnt Orange Color is 2000 Ford F-350 Truck, Amber Metallic.

I had my Gold 1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe painted that color, I chose it from the "New" 2000 Ford Truck Brochure color chips.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

it can be really hard to tell the actual color from a 'puter pic. my '80 Corvette, "correct" red - would show up as orange in some pics.

if you like this color and want it on your Hawk, print the pic on photo paper and take the pic to a auto paint supply store. they can match it. if you want to keep the paint color "original", use the color chart for whichever color liked best.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Kenny: It is highly unlikely that the lower color is a 1957 Studebaker color, as others have said. That's the bad news.

The good news is, that if you want to match it, note that the gas filler door is painted that color. Remove the gas filler door and take it to any good automotive color shop and they can scan it for a perfect match. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That color looks close to 1956-57 Chevrolet "Sierra Gold".

Comment

Working...
                X