Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the procedure for getting inside a Hawk speedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: What's the procedure for getting inside a Hawk speedo?

I have a 160mph Golden Hawk speedo that I'd like to install in my supercharged 61 Hawk. It'd be nice to roll the odometer around to indicate what the original odo reads when I pull it. Looks like I'd need to remove the bezel, and I'm not sure how to do this. Can anyone tell me the procedure? Or is it really too much of a ridiculous PITA to bother with?

Dave

You need one of these used car dealer boxes that rolled the odometer forward or backwards to where you want it. (Illegal !)
    I have one somewhere in my 38.000 sq/ft junk pile.
    Don't screw around with the bezel unless you got the equipment .
    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

It can be done by hand, but it is tedious. It involves removing the tabs between the numeral tumblers from the stop bar and rotating the numeral tumblers. Then, the tabs need to be realigned with the stop bar and reinstalled. Not complicated, but involves a steep learning curve to determine how to change the relationship among the numeral tumblers.

Comment

That used to be my job.

Back in 1969 wen I worked for a Chrysler dealer he used to go down to Newark and buy a dozen rental cars at a time, bring them back up to Dutchess County and I'd be ordered to change the mileage to whatever he wanted and to keep my mouth shut if I wanted to keep my job. I wasn't happy doing it but I got married just out of high school and I had a wife to support so I did what I was told.

Remove the instrument pod, disassemble it and then remove the speedometer. There will probably be a little brass spring clip holding the tumblers in place, release the clip, pull out the drum and then rotate the left number until you've got it where you want it, line up the slots in the little plates between tumblers, reposition the drum back in the speedometer with the slots over the stop bar, drop it in place, install the brass clip and reassemble. Wear thin white cotton gloves and try not to touch the face of the tumblers (I used an ice pick to rotate the stop tabs so I wouldn't mar the tumblers), otherwise that errant thumb print is liable to reveal itself after you've got it all done and back together and then you'll have to do it all over again to clean that off (PITA).
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by Stunt View Post
          ... Or is it really too much of a ridiculous PITA to bother with? Dave
          A simple note or notation on your owner's manual in the dash should be sufficient. Anyone past the fifth grade should be able to handle the arithmetic. Besides...those who are impressed by odometer readings of older cars are dying off faster than the cars are rusting away.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I remember my boss remarking in the '90s that used cars sure have a lot more miles on them than they used to!
            To which I replied, actually- they don't.
            He caught my drift.
            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

If you really can not deal with the Mileage being off a bit, just take it to a Speedometer Shop and have it Professionally turned back and they can clean and lube it while they are at it.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It's getting the bezel off that I'm wondering how hard it is to do. But StudeRich has the most sensible, and obvious, suggestion. It'd be a bummer to install this, whether or not I mess with the mileage, and have it crap out on me after a few miles.

I spun it with a drill last night and it seems mostly okay, though the tenths of a mile on the odometer were a little stutter-y. But there's a great speedo shop nearby, so I'll probably see if they can clean and lube it. It's not a big deal to me if the mileage is off, just thought if it wasn't too hard, I'd do it for fun. If the shop wants to charge a bunch for that part, I won't bother.

Also, my drill spinning at full tilt and the speedo only going up to 80 made me realize the extreme velocities and work these are put through!

Dave

Comment

A tiny flat blade screw driver and you can pry the lip up around the bezel. I've done it several times. Just be careful not to pry any further than you have to because it is brittle. You only need to go about 2/3 of the way around before it'll slip off.

Edit: the hawk speedo may have tabs instead of the full lip all the way around, I can't remember. If there are tabs, the same procedure applies. Just don't break the tabs off.

There's a little copper plug at the back, right where the cable connects. Pull the plug out and put a couple drops of oil on the felt in there.

Comment

Replacing and securing the bezel is a lot more difficult than removing it - ideally, you would have a circular holder that the speedo/bezel sit in while re-crimping the bezel (I used an old chrome dash bezel held to a large wooden board)
                    Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                    X