Help Identifying Avanti Frame Markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Help Identifying Avanti Frame Markings

So I'm in the process of scrapping all the rust and crud off the frame and hog troughs of my 1982 Avanti so I can seal it all up with some Por15. After removing the 30+ years of grime I found some writing painted on the frame's x-member. I would love to figure out what it said originally so I can replicate it over the paint. Call me silly, but the little touches or originality are what I love about the intimacy of old cars. They remind you that an actual person spent time carefully assembling each piece of the vehicle.

So far I think I can make out the word "BUNDLER" "BY" and the number "3".

Anyway, here are some photos. Any on have any idea what it may have said originally? The car is RQB3526.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1746759Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1746760Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpg
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1746761Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1746762

Sorry, whatever Format you used it is not enlargeable like the Jpeg Pics I post from my "C" Drive on my computer that can be enlarged THREE Times.
    So we see nuttin.

If that is the actual "X" Member as apposed to a Cross Member, it does not look like the one Studebaker used on all Convertibles Wagonaires and Avantis.
    It looks to me like a hand fabbed piece of Angle Iron if so, the markings could be from the Steel Stock.

What's all that Foil wrapped "stuff" under there?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich, I think you are looking up at the actual X-member, looks OEM to me. The lettering is on the bottom, I believe. OTOH, I can't help with the lettering, I've cleaned off that area in my 83 and 74 and can't recall anything like that. Of course, I generally attack those areas with a bit more vigor that the poster apparently does. Bob

Comment

In the late '70s, Avanti Motors ran out of original frames and began using a somewhat lighter gauge frame and added the X-member to stiffen the frame. Seeing how the car in question is an '82 it would be a car with the added X. The markings may have something to do with that.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Studerich, all the foil is actually plastic wrapped around the exhaust so I don't get paint on it.

It's a view looking up at the bottom of the frame. The lettering is in yellow on the bottom of the frame (I can see it from the pictures, but your right that I can't enlarge them very much).

Gunslinger, what was the frame that they were modifying from? There are also two "R"s stamped on the cross member.

Does anyone know of someone who actually worked at the avanti factory around that time?

Comment

I don't the information handy, but I believe they began using leftover standard Lark-type frames the Avanti was derived from. They added the X-member and body mount outriggers and I believe some added stiffeners to make up for the thinner gauge steel. I may have the exact serial number Avanti they started the change with, but as I said I don't have it handy.

The "R"s I've no idea what they mean...maybe a stamping from Budd, the original frame supplier to Studebaker...maybe some identification mark from Studebaker? Just guesses.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

On the lighter gauge frame rails, they welded the bottom plate completely all along the edge, instead of just spot welds. This helped stiffen it up some.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X