No announcement yet.

O/D cable(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: O/D cable(s)

Is the overdrive cable on a 1960 Lark with an 8 cylinder/3 spd the same as one from a 6 cylinder car?
    Right now I am unable to get to the cable to measure it so that is why I am asking.
    Also, my car may have started out as a 6 cyl and was converted to an 8
    Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks, Joe

I see cables on sale on eBay from time to time. You might want to also try Studebaker International or Fifth Avenue Garage. There are several other vendors who stock these including Studebaker Parts Online and Studebakers West. Other car companies used overdrive units in their cars and their cables may also work.
    I do not have a direct answer to your inquiry but someone else may be able to give a more definitive answer to you regarding cable length and interchangeability.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The body number on the cowl tag will say whether your car started out live as a six or an eight. So will the serial number.

If you give us those numbers, we can tell you.

Or... the numbers will start with 60S or a 60V.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Since the 8 Cyl. T-86 Transmission is longer than the 6 Cyl. T-96 Transmission, my guess is that the 6 is too short.

The '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog, a necessity when owning a Studebaker, would tell you for sure.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A generic PTO cable from a trucking supply shop would work, if you can't find an original. I think you could cut a cable that's too long to your correct length, as well.

And be careful when buying a used one. Ask the seller to affirm that the cable moves freely within the sleeve.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            I will address this issue as soon as I can get to the underside of the car.
            I was curious as there is/was an NOS cable for sale but for a 6 cylinder.
            Joe

Comment

I have both cables and the 8 cylinder OD cable is 6" longer than the OD cable for the 6

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                I have both cables and the 8 cylinder OD cable is 6" longer than the OD cable for the 6
                Thanks.
                Are you selling them?
                If so how much for the 8 cyl one?
                Thanks, Joe

Comment

OD cable

Originally posted by joecooz View Post
                  Thanks.
                  Are you selling them?
                  If so how much for the 8 cyl one?
                  Thanks, Joe
                  I will check the condition and get back to you, if it is ok just the cost of mailing

Comment

I will check the condition and get back to you, if it is ok just the cost of mailing
                    The cable I have available may not be specific to Studebaker it is the correct length it does not have the chrome "T" pull handle it has a black pull knob with OD on the front face. The cable does move freely. The end of the cable is straight it does not have a 90 hook. Does your OD unit have an eyelet for a hook or a clasp to hold the straight cable end?

Comment

The cable I have available may not be specific to Studebaker it is the correct length it does not have the chrome "T" pull handle it has a black pull knob with OD on the front face. The cable does move freely. The end of the cable is straight it does not have a 90 hook. Does your OD unit have an eyelet for a hook or a clasp to hold the straight cable end?
                      Thanks for getting back to me
                      I have not been able to check mine because the garage it is in is very difficult to move around in (translation: got too much stuff)
                      I would need to push the car out and take a look underneath. Maybe with nicer weather now I will be able to do that.

Comment

OD cable

Originally posted by joecooz View Post
                        Thanks for getting back to me
                        I have not been able to check mine because the garage it is in is very difficult to move around in (translation: got too much stuff)
                        I would need to push the car out and take a look underneath. Maybe with nicer weather now I will be able to do that.
                        I don't have a lineup for the cable so I will keep it till I hear from you. My computer has been shut down by some unscrupulous party, I am using my son's. My phone 1-(604) 942-0490 Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X