Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R & R Ross "SL" Box and Need any Tips / Advice (62 GT Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: R & R Ross "SL" Box and Need any Tips / Advice (62 GT Hawk)

Hi Forum,

I finally bit the bullet and bought an NOS "SL" box to replace my worn out Ross box with 97,000 miles on it.

Bell crank center pivot is good. All tie rod ends are good. Adjusted the screw on the side of the box per manual

I can turn the wheel 180 degrees and the pitman doesn't move.

Thanks for any tips and adivice on the R & R

Thanks,
    Jim
    Studebaker1962

After unbolting the Box from the frame, and disconnecting the Reach Rod under the hood, you should be able to disconnect the Turn Signal/Stoplight, Trans. Indicator Light and Horn Harness from the column, the Dash Clamp, the Firewall Plate/Seal and pull the Box and Column Assy. through the Firewall into the Car, with a bit of wiggling it.

It is best to check the Shop Manual in case I missed something, I hope it does not say: "Remove the Steering Gear"!!
    Since it was written to Studebaker Factory Trained Professional Service Technicians.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Manual says to remove steering wheel, undo left motor mount and jack engine on left side. Then remove Ross from the bottom. I am all ears if there is a simpler way.

Jim
      Studebaker1962

Comment

The only thing I can think of is, that on the Parts Cars we have done this to, we did not have to use the care you would on a Nice condition and complete Hawk.
        You sure don't want to mess up the interior, but if Bags on the Gearbox cure that problem, maybe it could work.

Lets wait for more feedback about whether or not this is possible on a "Keeper" from those that have been there, done that.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X