Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Transaxles-- Only From 1913-191?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Transaxles-- Only From 1913-191?

StudeFolk:
    Is it true that some Studebakers from 1913-1916 were built with transaxles?
    A transaxle was recently found in the basement of an old house here in Champaign, IL. The wheel hubs/brake drums are apparently long gone. The transaxle still has contracting band AND expanding shoe brakes and the mechanisms for both. The transmission assembly is still attached to the rear axle housing. The driveshaft and its tube/housing (3-4(?) feet long) is still present, though detached.
    Could this be from a 1913-1916 Studebaker? What sort of information would help positively identify it?

Ben Trench

Hey there Ben!
    Sounds neat!
    Your question is probable best asked over at the Antique Studebaker Club website.
    The specialize on the pre WWII Studebakers...

Hope the info helps!
    Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, some Studes from that era did use the transaxles. I've riddin a 1911 and a 1913 Stude that both had transaxles. I have no idea about identifying it though. You might try the AACA Forum as well.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Yes, some Studes from that era did use the transaxles. I've riddin a 1911 and a 1913 Stude that both had transaxles. I have no idea about identifying it though. You might try the AACA Forum as well.
        Paragraphs 3 & 4 on page 51 of Studebaker; The Complete Story
        Reads:

"A leather faced cone clutch was used on all 1913 models. The drive from the clutch to the rear transmission was via a heat treated drive shaft of chromium nickel steel, which was provided with oil and dirt proof universal joints at each end.

All models used a selective gear transmission with all gears enclosed in an aluminum housing bolted directly to the front of the rear axle housing."

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by mbstude

[b]Matthew Burnette
          (snip)
          Matthew:
          I appreciate your help and suggestion.
          I've posted here on the AACA site "What Is It?" forum

with pictures.
          I also posted on the AACA site's "Other Domestic Makes/Studebaker and Erskine" forum (though there are neither pictures nor a link to the pictures is in that posting).
          Again, thank you.

Ben Trench

Comment

Glad to help.

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Both Flanders (1910-1912) and EMF(1908-1912) used transaxles as well. Four cylinder Studebakers used them to 1919, sixes to 1918.
              You indicate the the unit has a torque tube. I'm not sure if any of the above used torque tubes. Certainly the later ones used torque arms - I am well acquainted with a 1917 SF4 here and it has the torque arm and open driveshaft. Wish I could be more help with a positive ID.

Terry

Comment

From the photo it looks like the trans part has a cast iron case? The torque tube bolts to what is visible correct? A couple years ago there was the well-decayed remains of a early touring car on a trailer at a local swap meet. That car had a trans axle with an aluminum case (the trans part). The rest of the rear was steel and cast iron. I recall some lookers near me thought it may be a studebaker and from a article in Turning Wheels a few months later on 1914 studebakers I am pretty sure that is what it was. In the TW article is a factory photo? of the frame/chassis from the top down that shows a lot of the details of the axles. I have seen a 1913 Studebaker and the rear axle design is different from the 1914 but I don't know about the transaxle. There is a member of the ND SDC chapter (Herb Blumhagen) who has a 1916 touring car but I've never take a real close look at the underside of it the few times I have seen it.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bentrench

StudeFolk:
                  Is it true that some Studebakers from 1913-1916 were built with transaxles?
                  A transaxle was recently found in the basement of an old house here in Champaign, IL. The wheel hubs/brake drums are apparently long gone. The transaxle still has contracting band AND expanding shoe brakes and the mechanisms for both. The transmission assembly is still attached to the rear axle housing. The driveshaft and its tube/housing (3-4(?) feet long) is still present, though detached.
                  Could this be from a 1913-1916 Studebaker? What sort of information would help positively identify it?
                  Finally got to see one from the underside yesterday on our Drive Your Studebaker tour. It is in the Stan Reynolds Museum in Wetaskwin.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X