PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Govenor on m16

kfnut
04-12-2015, 10:09 PM
My m16 starts skipping and spuddering around 40 mph . It has a hoof govenor on it but i'm not sure of what it does or is suppose to do . Any advise would be appreciated .

Bud
04-13-2015, 08:48 AM
I governor controls engine speed, usually by putting the governor between the carburetor and intake manifold. They will allow full load engine operation until a predetermined engine speed is reached, then the throttle plate in the governor will start to close restricting the flow of the air fuel mixture until the engine speed stabilizes. They shouldn't cause an engine miss or stumble as the engine rpm just flattens out when the governed engine speed is reached. Bud

kfnut
04-13-2015, 09:35 PM
I thought about removing it but the mounting studs are too long to install the carb . I can install new mounting studs that are shorter but will there be linkage problems ? Does anyone make a filler block to take up the space ? If I remove it , will it cause other problems ?
Thanks

nwi-region-rat
04-13-2015, 10:43 PM
I have one on my truck, all they did was take the butterfly out, and disconnect the lines....if you do that, can I have the parts?

Bud
04-14-2015, 08:57 AM
New governors are available, but they aren't cheap. I just replaced one on a 1942 Dodge Command Car with Dodge flathead 6. I adjusted the governor to limit the top speed of the vehicle to 35 mph as requested by the owner. I found the governor at a local forklift and industrial engine supply and repair shop for $250.00. Bud

kfnut
04-17-2015, 08:37 PM
If I block off the vacuum ports on the governor , will that delete it's operation ?

Bud
04-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Maybe, it depends on the governor. Bud