PDA

View Full Version : Steering TL Steering box

salmonstude
04-12-2015, 01:43 PM
I need help, please. I have a 1955 Commander Coupe. I am rebuilding this car. I removed the TL steering box to rebuild and forgot what position the spacers should be in when I bolt the box back onto the frame. These are not the shims for the steering gear, they are spacers (washers) that go between the steering box and the frame. It's been two years since I removed box, now I just can't remember. There were three spacers, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32. Can anyone help me on this. Thanks

WCP
04-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I suspect that the final location or alignment of the steering column with the dash mount and firewall opening, and with the steering box against the frame rail, will dictate where the shims go for tight and proper fastening to the frame rail.

salmonstude
04-20-2015, 12:59 PM
I tried putting the spacers in different locations. I put the 1/8 in the rear, 1/16 middle and 1/32 in front and reversed the order but the steering till binds. It seems to bind in the middle of the travel. i tried bolting the box on directly without the spears and it still binds. Before I took the box off, there was no binding. I wish I had written down the position of the washers (spacers).

njonkman
04-20-2015, 09:02 PM
The shims have nothing to do with the binding. The binding has to do with the steering box adjustment between the pinion and the worm in other words the slack in the steering box. I went through that with mine about a year ago. If you follow the adjustment process in the manual you will see that they are supposed to be a bit tighter in the middle than the rest of the travel and you are supposed to use a scale pulling a certain amount of pounds to set it without the linkage connected.
The shims were just for aligning the column to the dash and firewall hole.
Nick

salmonstude
04-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks Nick, I'll back the adjusting screw out a little and see if the binding stops.