No announcement yet.

Wheel size for 58 President??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheel size for 58 President??

I'm buying new bias tires for my 58 President. It has 15" from the factory. When I go to the Coker tire site and find my tire 670-15 and check under specification next to the tire I choose, a 2 1/4 " whitewall for $181.00 It has the following:
    • SKU: 568810
    • Tread Width: 4.50
    • Section Width: 7.01
    • Overall Diameter: 28.58
    • Load Index: No
    • Speed Rating: No
    • Max Load Capacity: 1450@32PSI
    • Rim Width: 4.50 - 5.00
    • Tube Type or Tubeless: Tubeless

My question is with the Rim Width. When I got my car it had what looked like bias tires on it. I changed the tires to radials for a better ride and also purchased new rims. Of course I kept the old rims. I just measured the width of them at the spot where the tire bead touches the wheel and I get 5.5" inside and 6" outside. I see on their specs that the "section width is 7.01 (don't know what that is) and the rim width is 4.5-5.00. I'm questioning if my wheels are original or not and if these new tires will fit ? Any help?
    Jim Rostron

I have a set of original 15" rims taken off my '51 Commander. I measured the bead-to-bead wall distance as you mention above and it is 5" nominally. Section width is the cross section width of the inflated tire with no load on it on the designed-width rim. So it is the thickness of the tire from the inner sidewall to the outer sidewall. The tires will likely fit but that is a question you should approve with your tire vendor. Perhaps there is a better tire selection?

Comment

14" rims were factory standard on 1958 President series. 15" may have been an option. Purchase the factory production order from Studebaker Museum and you can confirm how the car was originally equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by RNB22Stude View Post
        I have a set of original 15" rims taken off my '51 Commander. I measured the bead-to-bead wall distance as you mention above and it is 5" nominally. Section width is the cross section width of the inflated tire with no load on it on the designed-width rim. So it is the thickness of the tire from the inner sidewall to the outer sidewall. The tires will likely fit but that is a question you should approve with your tire vendor. Perhaps there is a better tire selection?
        Thank you. I looked up how to measure a wheel. You measure inside to inside where the bead of the tire sits inside the wheel. Is that what you did? And your idea of looking for a dif tire is good. Although the only tire I could find with the 2 1/4 whitewall is the one I picked. It's looks to me from original pics that the 2 1/4 whitewall is closest to original.
        Jim Rostron

Comment

Studebaker offered 4.5", 5" and 5.5" wide wheels in 57 and 58. In 58 they also offered 14" wheels. Thus your wheels are probably original. Your car probably had 7.10 tires when new. Hopefully one of our 58 experts will post
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I have the production order for my car, it came with 15" wheels and I like them!
            Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
              Studebaker offered 4.5", 5" and 5.5" wide wheels in 57 and 58. In 58 they also offered 14" wheels. Thus your wheels are probably original. Your car probably had 7.10 tires when new. Hopefully one of our 58 experts will post
              Yes mine are 5.5" for sure. I'll have to call Coker tomorrow to see if the tires will fit. I would think 1/2" shouldn't be that big of a deal. But I would like to know what that "section width 7.01" means.
              Jim Rostron

Comment

By the way, I'm using the beads that you put inside the tires for balancing. I have them in my radials now and they're great. No weights on the outside of the wheel. A nice clean look.
                Jim Rostron

Comment

You don't say what body style 1958 President that you have. It makes a difference.
                  standard tires: sedan 8.00X14, hardtop 7.50X14
                  optional tires: sedan 7.10X15, hardtop 6.70X15
                  Last edited by studegary; 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM. Reason: two letters reversed
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
                    By the way, I'm using the beads that you put inside the tires for balancing. I have them in my radials now and they're great. No weights on the outside of the wheel. A nice clean look.
                    Would you please explain more about these beads? I have never heard of such a thing.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      Would you please explain more about these beads? I have never heard of such a thing.
                      I never used but noticed them on Grainger's site

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I don't know how much I would trust their info, look at this the next LARGER 7.10X15 size tire takes up to a 6 Inch wheel and is SHORTER than the "smaller" 6.70X15!

SKU: 700307
                        Tread Width: 4.70
                        Section Width: 7.70
                        Overall Diameter: 28.21
                        Load Index: 95
                        Speed Rating: S
                        Max Load Capacity: 1550@35PSI
                        Rim Width: 5.00 - 6.00
                        Tube Type or Tubeless: Tubeless $271.00 EACH! Ouch!
                        For $1084.00 I could buy 2 1/2 Sets of P215X75R15 Cooper Radial Narrow Whitewalls, they would look just fine on a '58, last longer and be locally serviceable/replaceable without shipping.

About all that Section width could possibly be is the Max width at the shoulder to sidewall join (outer edge of whitewall) it is not anything to worry about, all tires are fatter at that point and it varies with the Wheel Width, your 5.5" wheel width will not be a problem either.

All that said, I am not a big fan of Coker, I prefer Diamond Back.

Yes the 7.10X15 is Wider both section and tread, but in the Day I can tell you that a 7.10 was a good deal taller than a 6.70X15, what they are doing Today with their copies of old tire molds, I have no idea.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-05-2015, 12:22 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          You don't say what body style 1958 President that you have. It makes a difference.
                          standard tires: sedan 8.00X14, hardtop 7.50X14
                          optional tires: sedan 7.10X15, hardtop 6.70X15
                          2 door hard top
                          Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.php I have bags in my radials with beads inside them. They work great. Not sure what brand they are.
                            Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              I don't know how much I would trust their info, look at this the next LARGER 7.10X15 size tire takes up to a 6 Inch wheel and is SHORTER than the "smaller" 6.70X15!

SKU: 700307
                              Tread Width: 4.70
                              Section Width: 7.70
                              Overall Diameter: 28.21
                              Load Index: 95
                              Speed Rating: S
                              Max Load Capacity: 1550@35PSI
                              Rim Width: 5.00 - 6.00
                              Tube Type or Tubeless: Tubeless $271.00 EACH! Ouch!
                              For $1084.00 I could buy 2 1/2 Sets of P215X75R15 Cooper Radial Narrow Whitewalls, they would look just fine on a '58, last longer and be locally serviceable/replaceable without shipping.

About all that Section width could possibly be is the Max width at the shoulder to sidewall join (outer edge of whitewall) it is not anything to worry about, all tires are fatter at that point and it varies with the Wheel Width, your 5.5" wheel width will not be a problem either.

All that said, I am not a big fan of Coker, I prefer Diamond Back.

Yes the 7.10X15 is Wider both section and tread, but in the Day I can tell you that a 7.10 was a good deal taller than a 6.70X15, what they are doing Today with their copies of old tire molds, I have no idea.
                              I looked at the Diamond Back site, it looks like they only have radials. I'm making a complete spare set of bias tires for AACA judging.
                              Jim Rostron

Comment

Working...
                              X