Age of forum members....Poll results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of forum members....Poll results

The poll is still running, but responses have slowed down to the point that I believe the results are statistically sound.

Here are the numbers as of 8 AM April 4, 2015...

I don't think there are any real surprises here...at least not to me.

61% of us are 60 or over
    85% are 50 or over

15% are under 40

We are truly a collection of geezers (I can say that...I'm 67)

My guess is that the age of SDC members overall is skewed even higher to the "old" end of the range since there are more older people that don't (or can't) use a computer relative to the total population.

I asked my buddy who is my age and active in the national Oldsmobile club about the age of their members. He doesn't have any actual statistics, but stated that their membership was AT LEAST as old as that shown in our poll.

When you go to a GoodGuys event, it seams that everyone there is my age or older, is a little overweight, and wears a white "car show" t-shirt.

What I can deduce from this (somewhat unscientifically) is that those of us that enjoy vintage cars (stock or modified) are GENERALLY older...and that this trend is not just limited to Studebaker owners. There also don't seem to be throngs following in our footsteps in terms of the cars they choose to play with. When we are gone, much of the hobby that centers around the cars we love will be gone. (We've probably already observed that with Model Ts and As). This is not to say that younger folks won't be playing with cars still...they just won't be the ones we play with.

Young people today have a different group of cars they like than we do. They have a different vocabulary when talking about their cars. Different goals. Different aspects that are important. (sort of like we were at that age and are today ).

Trying to attract young people to a brand that has been gone for 50 years is a noble pursuit, but likely not to bear fruit. That's OK. We didn't "go along" with what the old foggies were doing either.

Those on the tail end of the Studebaker age group have got it made. Cars and parts should continue to become cheaper and more available as those of us on the upper end croak. But watch out you youngins'. When you are our age, you won't be able to GIVE them away!

What other observations or conclusions can you draw from the data?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I bought a Model A a couple years ago and have gone to a few Model A club gatherings and I don't know the stats, but I say they are an even older group.

It's got to be a sign of the times, I bought my first antique car, a 1928 Erskine, when I was 19. My roommate in college had a 1930 Chevy, his friends had a 1929 Model A and 1931 Dodge, another friend of mine had a 1936 Plymouth and these cars were driven on a regular basis, however that was 40 plus years ago.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Well spoken.
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Dick-
        I don't disagree with your interpretations of the data, but I am wondering if there is a generation gap between those who join car clubs and those who don't. I have been attending the two big annual Carlisle old car flea markets for ~40 years, and have NOT noticed much change in the age of those attending. Still a majority of older guys (and more old fat guys riding around in golf carts), but lots of younger guys and a few gals, too. Although there are no rules regarding American-vs-foreign iron, MOST of the stuff sold there is for American cars. (There is also a separate, foreign-only show that attracts mostly younger people.) Not surprisingly, the younger people seem most interested in Camaros, Mustangs, and post-1964 muscle cars. Not much interest in Model A or pre-War cars (except maybe as hot rods). In other words, at least some of the next generation are still interested in cars, but joining SDC (or the Oldsmobile Club) doesn't seem of much interest to them.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I think your conclusions are valid. But also think there are people out there in their 30s and 40s who still hold an interest in classic cars. But at that time in their life they have other priorities, raising families, getting that next good job or promotion, adding to their education. I know when I was that age I drifted away from the car hobby mostly because life got in the way, but also because of available funds. Eventually when I had time and money I found my way back. Watching the auctions on TV and the people hosting the shows there are some younger folks participating and I am seeing some younger folks at car shows too, though many of them like the rat rods or "traditional" hot rod cars more than originals or street rods. The other factor that I think is significant is the cars we and our peers are interested in are what we remember, drove or lusted after in our youth. Stop and think about what the 30 and 40 year folks today have to remember. The late 70s through the early 90s were somewhat of a waste land for what most would consider collectible cars. So where is a car guy gonna go?
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
            I bought a Model A a couple years ago and have gone to a few Model A club gatherings and I don't know the stats, but I say they are an even older group.
            FWIW, my first car, bought in 1960, was 1930 Model A Ford deluxe coupe. That was about the time prices of restored Model As, in constant dollars, peaked. The prices have declined slightly over the years, as most of the owners have aged out. A good friend has a Model A, is also in his late '60s and he's the usually the youngest at a Model A Club meeting.

It's a truism in the hobby car market that guys buy the car they dreamed about in high school and a modified Studebaker C/K/Avanti still works for me.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

What I often h.ear from younger people if they show any interest at all is "I'm thinking about buying a car like that" & it doesn't matter what I say: 92% will not, & those who does will only have it for a short time 'cause they've bought something done-up-for-sale & when the rust-bubbles start to show or some mechanical trouble starts they'll sell it & then go on about "I had a classic car once, it was such a hassle, I can't have all that fuss in my life, I need stuff I can depend on!"...
              (Who doesn't?)

Comment

I am a little sorry that I am on the old end of the curve, I won't be able get in on the bargains the younger crowd will. On the other hand, I got to drive Stuedbakers while they were still being made.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My participation in the car hobby began in the late 1950s, but after owning and driving my first sports car in the early 60s, I have focused almost exclusively on sports cars and small sedans, cars that can easily be made to handle and stop well. I was never fascinated with high horsepower and I just have no interest in driving big, heavy cars. I owned European cars for many years, but for the past 30 years mostly Japanese cars. I have a big, well equipped shop and have developed a following of guys in their 20s-30s who hang out here and work on their cars, and in return, help me when I need it. These guys are part of the "tuner crowd".

I agree with what others have said here, but there is in my opinion a fundamental aspect to this issue that has not been mentioned. For a very high percentage of these young guys with the Japanese and European cars, the "hobby" aspect of owning their cars is focused on making improvements in performance, handling and braking. They spend their money on aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades and on bigger turbos, etc to increase power. A lot of these young guys are quite knowledgeable about chassis design and engines.

Conversely, my impression of the people who own Studebakers is that for a high percentage of them, the "hobby" aspect of owning their cars is just owning a unique and interesting car. It is true that some do engine swaps and brake upgrades, etc, but many want their cars to be "original". You will never hear the owner of a Toyota Supra, Nissan 240SX, or BMW 325i brag about his car being "completely original" - they couldn't care less. If it has not been upgraded in some way it is usually because they don't have the money. You must understand that these guys DRIVE their cars.

So if you want to interest these younger guys in owning a Studebaker, the first thing you have to do is to NOT CRITICIZE THEM IF THEY WANT TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE, HANDLING, BRAKING AND RELIABILITY.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I will be 58 on my next Bday in just a few days. Though I can remember Studebaker ads on TV I didn't drive my first and only Studebaker until the mid 80's when they were just old used cars. I have been wanting a classic car for some time now and at this time in my life I feel I can afford to spend the money on a toy like a classic car. That is probably the reason that the poll is so skewed to the geezer generation. Most younger people just need a car to get to work and back and don't have the funds to buy expensive and useless toys like classic cars. I think for that reason the classic car hobby will always be skewed to the older generations.
                    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

From what I see our cars will be wanted when we are gone but I think the generations of our grand kids and further will not be as apt to keep them stock. All of my cars are basically stock. There are quite a few Studebaker owners whom chase younger members away when they start talking about dropping in a Chevy engine thus we will not see a lot of them responding to this survey. Also as was said above, just like most of us were at one point in our lives, there is not a lot of extra time/money for toys as their family occupies their attention and money needs.

I think we should all encourage all Studebaker owners to join SDC even if you personally do not agree with their drive train choices.

I have two daughters and I am pleased to say that they have already picked out the cars they want when I am gone. One wants the 67 Avanti and the other wants the 61 hawk. They do not have time now for them. I keep the 67 at the one daughters house and she does take it out several times a year for a ride.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post

I agree with what others have said here, but there is in my opinion a fundamental aspect to this issue that has not been mentioned. For a very high percentage of these young guys with the Japanese and European cars, the "hobby" aspect of owning their cars is focused on making improvements in performance, handling and braking. They spend their money on aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades and on bigger turbos, etc to increase power. A lot of these young guys are quite knowledgeable about chassis design and engines.

You will never hear the owner of a Toyota Supra, Nissan 240SX, or BMW 325i brag about his car being "completely original" - they couldn't care less. If it has not been upgraded in some way it is usually because they don't have the money. You must understand that these guys DRIVE their cars.

So if you want to interest these younger guys in owning a Studebaker, the first thing you have to do is to NOT CRITICIZE THEM IF THEY WANT TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE, HANDLING, BRAKING AND RELIABILITY.
                        So true.

What is strange (to me) is that is EXACTLY where most of us were when we were that age. Stock wasn't in. Updated appearance and improved performance was. Things haven't changed that much. Hopefully the current crowd of "car guys" won't become as fuddy duddy as our group did and start restoring 1988 Civics.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          I have been attending the two big annual Carlisle old car flea markets for ~40 years, and have NOT noticed much change in the age of those attending. Still a majority of older guys (and more old fat guys riding around in golf carts), but lots of younger guys and a few gals, too.
                          The Rascal riders are starting to outnumber the walkers, however

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
                            What I often h.ear from younger people if they show any interest at all is "I'm thinking about buying a car like that" & it doesn't matter what I say: 92% will not, & those who does will only have it for a short time 'cause they've bought something done-up-for-sale & when the rust-bubbles start to show or some mechanical trouble starts they'll sell it & then go on about "I had a classic car once, it was such a hassle, I can't have all that fuss in my life, I need stuff I can depend on!"...
                            (Who doesn't?)
                            I just want those kids to stay off my lawn.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              I just want those kids to stay off my lawn.
                              LOL.
                              I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X