Studebaker and the Alaska Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker and the Alaska Highway

I think this has been up before but a lot of folks hasn't seen it.
    A blog about classic cars, junk cars and occasionally buses, trucks, trains, and anything mechanical. Random stuff from a gearhead in Illinois.

Great reading! Always enjoyed reading an watching TV programs about the building of the Alcan Highway and what a huge part those Studebaker trucks played in the building of that road.
    My Father would tell us about flying into Alaska with the Army Air Corps B-24's and having to keep them running for hours or draining the oil and warming it and refilling the crankcases before they would fly out a day or two later. Always amazed me.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

My ex-wife's grandfather worked on the Alcan and helped build it. I knew him before I was into Studebakers, so I never asked him about any connection.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Here's a different account of the collection: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=alaska

Craig

Comment

I saw the movie "Alaska Highway" in the link in post #1 when I was in grade school in South Bend back in the 1970s. At the time it was Pierre Navarre grade school, and we learned one of our janitors helped build the highway.

Two of the things I remember him tell us: many of the trucks were Studebakers made right there at home, and in some places along the highway, the peat bogs were so deep and thick that if a truck or bulldozer strayed of the road and went into the peat, they would disappear out of sight.

Mark L
          Last edited by Mark L; 04-03-2015, 05:24 PM.
          Mark L

Comment

Working...
          X