An 'IDLING CONTEST'!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An 'IDLING CONTEST'!!

All this talk of Studebakers racing down the 1/4 mile reminded me of a contest we used to hold at local Ocean Bay Stude events years ago, an event which was 'just the opposite'!

It was called an 'idling contest'...The winning car would have the SLOWEST time between two set points..with the (auto trans) car idling in DRIVE.

The drivers door would be kept open to verify that the brakes weren't being applied...There was an auto trans class and a stickshift class.

A finely tuned Studebaker engine can be idled down to almost nothing....Studes with finely tuned engines in good condition really 'shined' in this event.

259 V8 auto trans cars normally pulled the slowest (best) time....."R" engines needn't apply!

Do any Chapters still have this 'idling contest' event?....It's FUN!

Comment

"Slow Drags'...
      Held at a lot of rod shows over the decades...
      Turkey Rod Run at DTB does it every year...
      Have seen some ratty 6 cylinder Nova's with terribly loose transmissions that would take all afternoon to cover the 100' flat track...
      Judge would ride along to make sure the driver never touches the brakes.
      Don't remember seeing it done with a Stude, but it might be fun... Like watching paint dry....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am afraid they might disqualify my '62 Transtar 289 4V & a 4 Speed with Compound Low and it HAD a 5.13 TT Axle before I switched to a 5 Speed O.D. and a 4.56 TT either way it's a SERIOUS Crawler! It's NOT a Car, not fair.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I am afraid they might disqualify my '62 Transtar 289 4V & a 4 Speed with Compound Low and it HAD a 5.13 TT Axle before I switched to a 5 Speed O.D. and a 4.56 TT either way it's a SERIOUS Crawler! It's NOT a Car, not fair.
          Even less likely to be allowed in such a contest would have been the 1960 one-ton 4wd truck with the 245 cid six and four speed I had (now owned by George Hamlin). It had a 5.19 rear and, with the lever in low range you could pop the clutch in 4th gear at a low idle and it would just walk away, no hesitation or bucking.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

[QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;911503][COLOR=#000080][B]"Slow Drags'...

Don't remember seeing it done with a Stude, but it might be fun... Like watching paint dry....

This 'idling contest' really can be fun Jeff! I understand the idea may not at first appeal to the 'Kiddie Mod' crowd, but once they observe how slowly and smoothly a finely tuned Studebaker engine can idle and still move the car along, they may be drawn in!

Pre-war Studes usually did quite well. I recall a '31 Commander Regal Sedan idling along in first gear so quietly and slowly You'd swear it had stalled out!

This contest also spotlighted the talents of 'real' Studebaker mechanics!....Showing their 'touch' so to speak!.....Interesting & FUN!

Comment

We had 'slow races' at motorcycle runs back in the day - 2 Harleys start out, the last one over the line without a foot touching the ground wins. Takes skills for sure.

Comment

It does sound like fun, but for me it lacks the G-Force and adrenalin rush. But, if it floats your boat I say go for it.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Sounds like something you and the Ocean Bay Chapter could organize for the 2016 IM in Rhode Island!!

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  All this talk of Studebakers racing down the 1/4 mile reminded me of a contest we used to hold at local Ocean Bay Stude events years ago, an event which was 'just the opposite'!

It was called an 'idling contest'...The winning car would have the SLOWEST time between two set points..with the (auto trans) car idling in DRIVE.

The drivers door would be kept open to verify that the brakes weren't being applied...There was an auto trans class and a stickshift class.

A finely tuned Studebaker engine can be idled down to almost nothing....Studes with finely tuned engines in good condition really 'shined' in this event.

259 V8 auto trans cars normally pulled the slowest (best) time....."R" engines needn't apply!

Do any Chapters still have this 'idling contest' event?....It's FUN!

Comment

Years ago the North Alabama Chapter had an idling contest. I won in my 51 truck, the fastest time was a 63 G.T. R2 with auto. Another thing we did and it was a real hoot, was a blind driver slalom race with a passenger giving directions. We used small traffic cones in a field. What was really interesting was when spouses attempted this.

Comment

Liken to watching paint dry....

Comment

I put a truck four speed with compound low in Pinkie so it would not be much of a contest even with her 3.00 rear end.
                        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment