No announcement yet.

What intake manifold did I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: What intake manifold did I buy?

Hello,

I just picked up a Studebaker four barrel V-8 intake manifold at a garage sale. It's very clean, has not been modified, and the choke stove tubing is intact.

The casting number is 1557326 (the last digit might be an 8) and the holes are equally sized and spaced.

My questions are:

-what years are correct for this?

-what carburetor fits it?

Thanks
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-29-2015, 03:59 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Don't know for sure, but since all 4 holes are the same size, I would say a 64 and later manifold. Very desirable, if converting to an edelbrock 1403 four barrel carb.

mark

Comment

If the primary and secondary bore are the same size, it is a WCFB carb intake.
      The only difference between 50's and early 60's versions is the style of choke tube.
      The early style choke tube is a tube about 3/8" ID.
      The later style is a u-loop tube (about 3/16") that goes into the intake heat crossover and loops back out.

The later '63/'64 intake is an AFB style where the secondary bore is larger to accommodate the AFB secondary throttle plates.

Early WCFB intakes can have the secondary bores opened up to accept an AFB carb without adapter plates.
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

So... since all the holes are the same size and the choke tube is a U style, it takes a WCFB and is approximately what year?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

sals54

Comment

With the "U" shaped choke tube...it probably also has the two tapped bosses to mount the coil bracket. This would make it '59 - '62.

Comment

Find the date code located near the casting number, on the #6 runner I think. It will be a letter and some numbers.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Posts #3, 6 & 7 are the only ones here with correct information.

The most significant change in the square bore 4 brl. Manifolds are Coil Mount Pads with drilled and threaded holes that do indicate a '59 '62 Car, the Manifolds with Pads, but undrilled are for Trucks.

Good luck with your use or resale. Bore out the secondary holes and Edelbrock it.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Roy it sounds like you got the early one, I have a few here and sell them for $75.00 also have about 15 of the later 2 bld. ones altered to 4bld. and can take the new carbs.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    Find the date code located near the casting number, on the #6 runner I think. It will be a letter and some numbers.
                    The code is 2 13 P

The manifold has mounting pads for the coil and the holes for the coil bracket are drilled and tapped/threaded.

Comment

The date code translates as February 13, 1961.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Roy, I presumed you were looking for info on the manifold to see if you could use it on your current project, and less interested in its historical pedigree. If you want to use a modern Edelbrock carb on that intake, just go to your local speed shop. They will have the adapter you need to make it work. I've used them on the early style manifolds for years. Mine was on a 54 Coupe and I had no hood issues. But I did use short motor mounts. If you're using it on a Lark style car or truck, you'll not have any clearance problems. Good luck with your car.
                          sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X