Today's Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Mission

Well it is Sunday, too late for church. Picked up the 56J motor's knurled pistons last week, so I now have no excuse to procrastinate on reassembling it. The stove is on in the garage, warming it up, so I can drag myself out there and begin. Its been almost three months now since I pulled the motor. I have rebuilt at least a half dozen 352s, and a few short years ago, this one would have only taken about a month, start to finish. True, I have hit a few snags with this motor, but three months is ridiculous.

OTOH, I find myself struggling with other ideas of things to do today: go to the gun range and shoot a few hours with my sons; if it warms up a bit, go for a ride on the Harley with one of my sons, etc..

Naw, just gotta do it. Get on out to the garage I guess, but maybe wait another hour for the stove to warm it up a bit more.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Well it is Sunday, too late for church. Picked up the 56J motor's knurled pistons last week, so I now have no excuse to procrastinate on reassembling it. The stove is on in the garage, warming it up, so I can drag myself out there and begin. Its been almost three months now since I pulled the motor. I have rebuilt at least a half dozen 352s, and a few short years ago, this one would have only taken about a month, start to finish. True, I have hit a few snags with this motor, but three months is ridiculous.

OTOH, I find myself struggling with other ideas of things to do today: go to the gun range and shoot a few hours with my sons; if it warms up a bit, go for a ride on the Harley with one of my sons, etc..

Naw, just gotta do it. Get on out to the garage I guess, but maybe wait another hour for the stove to warm it up a bit more.
    Well...if you do any of the things listed...you are very likely to have a forum troll free day! ('cept for this post)
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Personally, I'd go to the gun range with my son's. The engine will be there tomorrow but your sons may be elsewhere. Mine is now in Houston and I miss the interactions like the gun range and golf course. You'll have plenty of time to build the 352 and it won't take a fire to heat the garage then.

Of course I could go with my 23 YO grand daughter

Click image for larger version

Name:	10478142_10152929432793724_7926224312668929866_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1696081

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-29-2015, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Go with the boys. jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

....Or...have the sons meet you in the garage...let them smear on assembly lube...make progress on assembly...and then on to the shooting range.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have had a Great weekend! Went for a walk in the woods with my Grandaughter,Had supper with Wife, Son& DIL,2 Grandaughters and a prospective future Grand-son-in-law on Friday.Spent Sat. at the shop with Son, Son-in-law,and grandson.
            Sunday I am going to church with Wife, Daughter,G-son,and G-girl.

I am richly blessed.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

I envy all of you as alas, I have no family remaining but I am able to spend great time with great friends before we hit the road for British Columbia on Monday. Too bad Joe can't use my garage here as it hit 100F yesterday.
              Bill

Comment

I like the idea of spending the time with the family at the gun range or a bike range, but invite them ti the garage for an engine rebuild party!
                sigpic

Comment

LOL,
                  Y'all were not much help. I was looking for inspiration to get my butt on out into the garage. I did, and put in 9+ hours. Got most of the short block done, which is over the hump with the job.

I woulda loved to have went with option 'B' or 'C' but when the weather in nicer, I hope to take the boys out for a spin in the 56J, so gotta pay the dues involved in gettin it ready.

Bob, My sons are like your grand daughter, they always want to snap a pic of their targets. I was thinking it was due to their Japanese heritage (their mom), but guess its just a young folks' thing.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X