Speedster reverse light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster reverse light

Hi every one really need some help finding a right hand side reverse Light for my 55 speedster any help would be greatly appreciated

Wish I could help but they are all bad. Just the right side back-up light, not the left side. What seems to be a problem with the whole run, is the quality of the pot metal. In the 70's I went through about ten of them but could not find any that would polish out. Finally found a NOS set in the fabled Brooklyn NY shop and parts dealer. Today I think that you will have to drill out the pits that show up after stripping the plating, and experiment filling them with pot metal rod. Very thin castings don't leave much room for error though.

Comment

pot metal repair

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
      Wish I could help but they are all bad. Just the right side back-up light, not the left side. What seems to be a problem with the whole run, is the quality of the pot metal. In the 70's I went through about ten of them but could not find any that would polish out. Finally found a NOS set in the fabled Brooklyn NY shop and parts dealer. Today I think that you will have to drill out the pits that show up after stripping the plating, and experiment filling them with pot metal rod. Very thin castings don't leave much room for error though.
      This kind of repair may be made on heavier castings, but is virtually impossible on paper-thin diecast pot metal articles like 53-55 back up light housings.
      A better repair technique is to electrically strip off the old plating & dig out all corrosion in the "pits" with blasting media or
      a pointed die grinder tip. The next step is to copper plate, using a cyanide copper solution. After copper is applied, imperfections like pits or "moth-eaten" edges may be filled with silver solder, which bonds easily to the copper. This method does not require the distortion-causing heat that irreparably ripples & waves the surface of a thin piece or produce the pitting & spatter caused by welding. Work piece may then be filed, ground or sanded smooth & polished in preparation for another coat of copper, followed by nickel & chrome. For more info, see my site:

I have back up lights available.
      Last edited by TX Rebel; 04-04-2015, 06:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have stripped and polished the reverse lights left one came up good but the right one is badly pitted and caved in a bit at the top not sure if I can repair it.i have re plated every thing on the vehicle and would like get another one

Comment

If you have a right hand side reverse light housing that would great .how much would you want for this?

Comment

Working...
          X