Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RV parking at the Studebaker National Museum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV parking at the Studebaker National Museum?

We are planning a cross country trip in late summer and the Studebaker museum is on our bucket list. Does anybody know if you can park a crew cab long bed truck and 31 foot 5th wheel in the parking lot there? Or, can anybody recommend a place to park the 5th wheel while we travel there in the truck? Doesn't have to be a fancy place, just something with basic hookup for a quick overnight stay, then off to Ann Arbor, MI....

Shouldn't pose a huge problem, unless there is an event going on...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMN Parking Lot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1696029

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNM Parking Lot.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1696030
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have seen semi's park in front on the street. There are several camp grounds in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
        Or, can anybody recommend a place to park the 5th wheel while we travel there in the truck? Doesn't have to be a fancy place, just something with basic hookup for a quick overnight stay, then off to Ann Arbor, MI....
        I stumbled across your request and noticed no one had addressed one of your main concerns. So, I thought I'd be smart and quickly find answers. Good Grief! I'm now kinda embarrassed about how much time, how many computer clicks, it took to find the little information that follows. You'd think the Museum would have an easy, up front, "visitor accommodation" information????

Well...after all the clicks/time, I found three possibilities. Potato Creek State Park (South of South Bend). South Bend/Elkhart North KOA, and Spaulding Lake Campground-Niles. That's the best I can do. I know you could park near the museum for a visit, but having a place to hookup, relax, should give you an opportunity to really enjoy the museum and, maybe even take in a visit to SI before wandering on.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Having been there many times, twice with a car trailer, I'll say the length of your rig will be too much for The Studebaker National Museum's parking lot.

However, if you are halfway good at maneuvering, the parking lot directly across the side street, in back of the separate Archives Building (and a legitimate museum parking lot) would be a better accommodation, but you'd still have to back in off the street.

Further, if there are few cars parked on the side street by the museum, it would be easy to pull in along the curb.

But if you pull a 31' 5th-wheel trailer behind a long bed crew cab into the Museum's primary parking lot, you'd probably regret it. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Also is Mini Mountain Camp Ground across from the proving ground West of South Bend on Rt 2. Iif electric is all that is needed, park in my driveway.
            Last edited by DieselJim; 03-25-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I parked on the street in front of the Museum, figuring it would be good advertising for the museum. I pulled in at 9 AM and left about 2 PM, and the street was very open both times. BTW, I arrived an hour before the museum opened. I went to SI after the museum, and they have a large empty lot.Click image for larger version

Name:	SM2.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1696032Click image for larger version

Name:	SM4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1696033

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, I had looked online and found several RV parks very nearby, but I was hoping maybe somebody had actually stayed in one of them and could recommend it. I may just take my chances and get there early and hope for a street spot. Not going to be going until early part of September so it probably won't be very crowded.... I hope.

Comment

Working...
                X