Next question! Still building the 1/25 scale '64 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next question! Still building the 1/25 scale '64 Avanti

Being a glutton for punishment, I've decided to convert the engine to an R3 instead of the R2 in the kit. There are plenty of photos of "R3's" on line but I have a feeling that most of them are clones or have been modified in some way. What type of air cleaner installation would a correct, original R3 Avanti have? Some that I see have a conventional R2 type set-up and some have the air cleaner in a more forward position with a flex intake making a 180 degree - similar to what's in the Plain Brown Wrapper. Does anybody have engine compartment photos of one of the few actual original R3's?
    Manuel J. Martinez
    Baton Rouge, LA

Here's one I didClick image for larger version

Name:	00000+jay+avanti+blue+3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1695981
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for posting that! I guess that answers some of my question but now I have to wonder what it looks like where the air intake hose goes out of sight. Do I see correctly that it is going through the inner fender? What's under there? This is going to be quite an education!
      Manuel J. Martinez
      Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

The Air Cleaner is in the Grille opening, the Hose goes forward into that area.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I didn't take any pictures of that, now I'm sorry I didn't. Yes, the air cleaner mounts behind the grill mounted to the core support. It looks like the late style with the square tube on the side, and the silencer pad and mesh , and with the enclosed end.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have the same problem as bezhawk. I didn't take pictures of the of the air cleaner assembly. I may have a picture of the apron cutout but probably not the forward grille area cutout. I'll check and post if I have.

Crap! On checking my computer, I realized that the pictures I took aren't digital and I'm many miles away. I'll try to remember to check next week and scan if I have that photo. PM me next week as a reminder.
            Last edited by WCP; 03-24-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your efforts, everybody! I've been Googling everything related to "Avanti R3 air cleaner" and finding lots of interesting pictures but never of what's beyond the under hood area.
              Manuel J. Martinez
              Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Here's the photos that I thought I might have of the fender apron cutout. Note that the air induction hose terminates at the supercharger with a 4" rubber sharp radius 90 degree elbow. It is barely seen peeking above the pressure hose in the one picture. I have no picture of the front cutout behind the grille.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1696102 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1696103 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1696104 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1696105

On further examination, you can see some of the cutouts forward of the radiator support in the 1st photo.
                Last edited by WCP; 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

Thanks for the excellent photos! I plan to post some of the construction photos soon.
                  Manuel J. Martinez
                  Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

Originally posted by mr moto View Post
                    Being a glutton for punishment, I've decided to convert the engine to an R3 instead of the R2 in the kit. There are plenty of photos of "R3's" on line but I have a feeling that most of them are clones or have been modified in some way. What type of air cleaner installation would a correct, original R3 Avanti have? Some that I see have a conventional R2 type set-up and some have the air cleaner in a more forward position with a flex intake making a 180 degree - similar to what's in the Plain Brown Wrapper. Does anybody have engine compartment photos of one of the few actual original R3's?
                    i have
                    some avanti racing decals if you need some

Comment

Working...
                    X