59 Lark Front Brake Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Lark Front Brake Shoes

Decided to redo the brakes on my 59 Lark 8. Rebuilt M/C and W/C's back in the mid 90's used N.O.S hoses from SASCO. So after reading a article some time ago about the NOS hoses not being the best choice I decided to do a complete brake overhaul using new parts. Well on Wagner Brakes website they listed their part # PAB326 as front and rear brake shoes for my Lark, so visited Raybestos to see what I could dig up they showed # 176PG for rear only and had nothing listed for the front. So I used their cross reference using Wagner PAB326 and It referenced their #175PG. NAPA had no problems getting all my parts except for the front brake shoes which claim were not available. What would be the difference between front and rear shoes????????????? Both site info was on 10 in X 2 in as a description.

Thanks
    Confused In Lark Land
    59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
    51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
    27 Ford Roadster
    Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Support your local studebaker vendor. two of my favorites are.
    StudebakerParts.com a company specializing in Studebaker parts for post war Studebakers and Studebaker related items

you can also search this site for others. without vendors we wouldn't have the harder to get parts and limited repo that we do have access to.

Originally posted by gearhead49 View Post
    Decided to redo the brakes on my 59 Lark 8. Rebuilt M/C and W/C's back in the mid 90's used N.O.S hoses from SASCO. So after reading a article some time ago about the NOS hoses not being the best choice I decided to do a complete brake overhaul using new parts. Well on Wagner Brakes website they listed their part # PAB326 as front and rear brake shoes for my Lark, so visited Raybestos to see what I could dig up they showed # 176PG for rear only and had nothing listed for the front. So I used their cross reference using Wagner PAB326 and It referenced their #175PG. NAPA had no problems getting all my parts except for the front brake shoes which claim were not available. What would be the difference between front and rear shoes????????????? Both site info was on 10 in X 2 in as a description.

Thanks
    Confused In Lark Land

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Yes, the front brake shoes would be 11" (11" drum diameter) on your car, and any other V8 '54-'64 Stude passenger car (drum brake equipped)

Comment

Just take your old shoes and drums to a brake shop and have them rebuilt and sized to your drums. I have never bought any shoes from a parts house.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          11 inch fronts is what measured, so I will make a trip to Brake Materials in Fort Wayne tomorrow.
          Also gives me the excuse to hit Original Coney Island for some dogs.
          Always try to support our vendors
          51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
          27 Ford Roadster

Comment

I just went down the same road concerning the erroneous listing on Lark front brake shoes.
            Bought PAB326 thinking I was buying front brake shoes for my 1965 Wagonaire. Wrong again fuzz face! Oh well I'll use them on the rear. Continuing the front brake shoe search, also found one brake drum shot.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Why does everyone make this sound so difficult? Any established Studebaker parts dealer will have these 11" X 2-1/4" V-8 front shoes in stock. This is a part that I sell regularly - fits '54 - '66 V-8 drum brake cars front, and 8E ('63 - '64) 1/2 ton Champ pickups front and rear. So in the Studebaker parts world, these are fairly common shoes - you just need to get them from a Studebaker parts source.

Comment

What is very disappointing to hear is that our Original OEM Brake System Supplier Wagner, does not even know how to separate the fact that the 10 Inch Brakes Shoes, are for Front, but only for SIXES, and the same Shoes are for Rear, but only for V8's.

NOT for BOTH Front & Rear on anything!

Also it is often confused that those PAB326 Shoes do not fit Front Disc. Brake Cars and the Rear Brake Shoes for Disc. Brake Cars do not fit Drum Brake Cars.

Will they EVER get that straight?
                The sellers like NAPA, Rock Auto and the other on-line stores just copy the wrong Mfg. Info and confuse everyone.

This just gets back to what is often said here: "buy from a Studebaker Vendor and IF you give them their proper Part Number, not a vague description, you have the Best chance to have the best possible USA quality and fit available, THE FIRST TIME"!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just for the record on the 10" X 2" shoes ('54 - '66 V-8 drum brake cars rear, '54 - '66 six cylinder cars front) sets #176 and #326 are interchangeable. The #326 is supposed to have a higher strength web.

Comment

Studebaker International lists new brake shoes to be ready by fall 2014. They are I ordered a set and picked them up at York. All metal parts are the same sizes as older shoes I have . I wanted a new set when they had them listed now if we ever need to get a set relined I have spares.

Comment

Be careful having them relined as they may be too thick to fit in the drum and you may have to wear the shoes down a little. Next time I need brakes I will go to SI or another Studebaker supplier for the front brakes rather than have the old shoes relined.
                      sigpic
                      55 President Deluxe
                      64 Commander
                      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Going to make the trip to SI tomorrow with the cores. Thanks for the input.
                        51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
                        27 Ford Roadster

Comment

If you bring your shoes to a reliable brake shoe, brake repair shop, (Edmonton Brake and Clutch in my area for example) they may have such proper items on the shelf. If not they will be able to reline your shoes.

Regards

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead49 View Post
                            Going to make the trip to SI tomorrow with the cores. Thanks for the input.
                            I think that you are wise going to a Studebaker Parts Dealer. If I recall not only did my relined brakes from the local well established brake and clutch re-liner not fit properly (too thick), the reline ended up costing more than I could have bought them from SI.
                            sigpic
                            55 President Deluxe
                            64 Commander
                            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Good grief....I just go down to my local auto parts store and they match them up. They even had shoes for my T cab sitting in the wharehouse and a new mastercylinder. I want the Toyota T cab so stop on a dime so I went through everthing but since I use Willies leaf springs in front and that lifted it a few more inches stock line would not work. I had no problems geting them at the local Federated Auto Parts.
                              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                              61 V8 Tcab
                              63 Tcab 20R powered
                              55 Commander Wagon
                              54 Champion Wagon
                              46 Gibson Model A
                              50 JD MC
                              45 Agricat
                              67 Triumph T100
                              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment