One very nice Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One very nice Avanti

I just came across this listing on E-Bay of a really nice looking 64 Avanti. What I wonder about is why the seller hasn't gotten the engine running? "Brakes work" is stated but that raises a question also. See for yourself:

59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

It looks like the seller is not the owner. It looks very nice but I wonder what all could be wrong with it after all this time.

Comment

What an incredibly nice car; that has to be one of the nicest essentially-original Avantis extant.

There could be many reasons why they didn't try to get it running, not the least of which would be that there's no battery in it. It does have a battery hold-down, though, so that has to be a first: It has a battery hold-down, but no battery to hold down!

You can see that the spare wheel has been "down," and the spare tire does not match the four on the ground, which appear to be OEM tires. The spare looks to be a new or nearly-new replacement tire from back in the day, so the best guess would be that one of the original tires was damaged beyond repair and replaced with what is now the spare tire. The original spare tire is probably one of the four now on the ground.

Gee, what a nice car! It will be interesting to see what it brings. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

From what is posted on ebay, my take is the engine is stuck. Here's a tool I made for getting Ford Model A engines unstuck. It works great and applies a lot more force than the starter can.Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tools Stuck Engine Tool1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1695952Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tools Stuck Engine Tool2.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1695953Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Tools Stuck Engine Tool3.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1695954

Comment

Wow, what a time capsule! Would have been nice to include undercarriage photos also.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

As a wise man once said, "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". Need to see undercarriage, and stuck, or broken engine? Something that looks so good is stuck? Gotta wonder...

Comment

I am not familiar with this car, looks like it was originally sold in Michigan.

Comment

Studebaker built a series of 1964 Avantis almost EXACTLY alike in this serial number range...and this Avanti is one of them...I owned another, (R-5180)...Also, this could have been one of the contest 'giveaway' Avantis.

Comment

If I were to end up with it, I would do my usual list of stuff and presto, she would be running as new. I've resurrected literally more than a dozen over the years and with some patience, have never had a failure yet. The rest of the car's condition leads me to believe in the integrity of the motor and not assume a "stuck" unit. Good luck to whomever is the fortunate new owner.
                  Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Studebaker built a series of 1964 Avantis almost EXACTLY alike in this serial number range...and this Avanti is one of them...I owned another, (R-5180)...Also, this could have been one of the contest 'giveaway' Avantis.
                    It appears to be R-5050 so would that put it in the 50 "giveaway" range? Also, I'm not here to quibble about the car as it looks great but for my own info, Is that the correct carpet for a 64? It just looks a newer weave to me but I don't know Jack about these issue Avanti's. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      It appears to be R-5050 so would that put it in the 50 "giveaway" range? Also, I'm not here to quibble about the car as it looks great but for my own info, Is that the correct carpet for a 64? It just looks a newer weave to me but I don't know Jack about these issue Avanti's. Bob
                      I'm also no Avanti expert, but I thought the rough cut out for the dimmer switch was odd.

Regardless, it appears to be what the seller says it is. If true it is a VERY special Avanti.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

This is a very nice Avanti. I own serial R5050, one car in sequence behind this car. My car is over restored so I have interest in owning this car. If this was a give away car with the other 50 having consecutive numbers, I did not get mine for free.
                        Regarding the tires the spare is a 1966 Firestone, as I happen to have a set with the same scroll marking.
                        The carpet is original as is the dimmer switch cutout shown.
                        I have attached some photos of NOS 1964 carpet as example. There are some questions that I need addressed before I bid.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1695955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1695956

Bob Caser
                        mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                          This is a very nice Avanti. I own serial R5050, one car in sequence behind this car. My car is over restored so I have interest in owning this car. If this was a give away car with the other 50 having consecutive numbers, I did not get mine for free.
                          Regarding the tires the spare is a 1966 Firestone, as I happen to have a set with the same scroll marking.
                          The carpet is original as is the dimmer switch cutout shown.
                          I have attached some photos of NOS 1964 carpet as example. There are some questions that I need addressed before I bid.

Bob Caser
                          Thanks for the info Bob, Hopefully it ends up in your hands. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                            I just came across this listing on E-Bay of a really nice looking 64 Avanti. What I wonder about is why the seller hasn't gotten the engine running? "Brakes work" is stated but that raises a question also. See for yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-V...m=281635003035
                            I recently bought a car (via internet) that hadn't been started in 40 years, and I liked the fact that no attempt had been made to start it. As I am (like many collectors) particular about such matters, I don't want to have to worry about whether a long-sleeping car was re-awakened properly -- which, to my mind, requires careful procedures such as cleaning oil pans, pre-charging oilways, changing all fluids, etc. It is very unlikely that a seller whose only mission is to sell the car would be sufficiently conscientious in the process of getting it running.
                            ~ Charlie Manes

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                              I own serial R5050, one car in sequence behind this car........ Bob Caser

But the seller say this one is R5050..... ?
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X