Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32hyb Allan - Coolant out the tailipipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 32hyb Allan - Coolant out the tailipipe?

Morning from Lameroo South Australia this is my first post on this site I'm working on a friends 63 Studebaker, body and paint work etc.
    Yesterday after standing for quite a few months we had to shift the car to my shed the day before engine started and ran perfectly , on the day we moved the car it ran ok getting it onto the trailer etc .
    BUT when we unloaded it from the trailer it was running perfectly it then started discharging coolant at a steady flow from both exhaust pipes an engine was not missing and running evenly..
    We go the car into the shed still with coolant discharging from both tailpipes.
    We checked oil this showed that there was coolant in the oil and yet it was still running ok.
    My question is as I don't know these motors is it possible form coolant to enter via gasket leak or welsh plug in the vicinity of the inlet manifold OR could it be BOTH head gaskets.
    We have drained oil while engine was hot and intend to put flushing oil through motor to remove contaminated oil from engines lubrication system to prevent damage.
    I look forward to your feedback .
    Regards Allan

Welcome to the forum Allan!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Welcome to the SDC, and to the SDC forum Allan.

All indicators lead to blown Head Gaskets. Maybe NEVER torqued in the proper pattern and to the correct torque, or even at ALL!
      Can you turn the Head Bolts with your FINGERS?

If no sealant was used, especially on a thin shim steel gasket there WILL be leaks.

There are NO core plugs between the Crankcase and the Water Jackets.

I would probably drain the Oil, Change Filter and put in 4 Qts. of Kerosene and 2 Qts. 10/30 or 30 Wt. Oil and IDLE the Engine no more than 900-1000 RPM for 30 Min. and drain.

Change the Full Flow Oil Filter AGAIN, or plug a Bi-Pass Oil Filter (if the wrong year engine is installed).
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-19-2015, 02:15 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Many thanks for your info initially I thought there may have been a core plug between inlet manifold that may have corroded ..I had since found out that motor had not run in over 12 months which in its self not good .
        It just surprised me that both head gasket would go but after finding out that they had steel head gaskets this doesn't surprise me .
        We have drained oil plus the last of coolant and replaced it with flushing oil but only ran motor till it felt warm for fear of just getting it to hot .

Regards Allan 32hyb

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Allan. I edited your title so that it would draw more eyeballs Good luck on sussing out the problem!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Definitely a head gasket. Sounds like both of them.

Comment

Any chance the car was subjected to freezing temps with water as coolant? Freezing water has no problem hoisting the head off an engine block.
              Although usually I guess other damage like popped core plugs and even block cracks appears as well, or even first on some engines.

Comment

Originally posted by 32hyb View Post
                BUT when we unloaded it from the trailer it was running perfectly it then started discharging coolant at a steady flow from both exhaust pipes an engine was not missing and running evenly..
                This sounds VERY strange to me. Running perfectly, but a steady flow of coolant from both tail pipes? That much coolant in the cylinders would certainly not only make for rough running but it would hydraulically lock a cylinder as soon as the first piston came up to TDC resulting in a lot of noise and a blown engine. Are you sure it is coolant and not just water from condensation in the exhaust system as it warmed up?
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I would think a possibility would be that the right head gasket is leaking and the vapor you see is using the manifold heat crossover tube then exiting both tailpipes.
                  Rob

Comment

Hi Dick yes its a funny one as the day before it was shifted it was run for some considerable time to get up to temp and the fella made sure temp gauges etc were all operating it showed no sign of missing at all.
                    Even when it went on the trailer no missing or anything untoward .
                    It was only when it was coming down off the trailer did any coolant and it was green coolant ran out of both tailpipes and it was running as smooth as you would want it to .
                    Even after we drained to rest of coolant out and there wasn't much to drain we drained the oil and replaced it we then started it up and it ran smooth and proceeded to blow out what was left in the exhaust system .
                    We ran it until we felt it was warm enough to dry out the motor and until it was warm without getting it to hot without coolant in it .

So we are still not sure if its both heads or only one.

Regards Allan

Comment

Hi Rob this is not vapour its a steady flow under accelerator out of both tailpipes.

Regards Allan

Comment

Time to remove intake, exhaust manifolds, and remove the cylinder heads.
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

To check each cylinder you can make up a tool to pressurize each cylinder. An air hose fitting brazed to a spark plug base to will add the pressure. You set each cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke individually and pressurize them. With the cooling system full and the radiator cap off, water will be pushed out as you check a cylinder with the leak. Check them all.
                          Rob
                          Last edited by mapman; 03-23-2015, 08:03 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Is there ANY chance that work could have been done to this engine with the Head Pipes loose or removed from the manifolds and Anti-Freeze leaked, spilled etc. into the pipes before buttoning up the Engine?

I am really reaching out here, trying to save you a complete tear down for nothing, but I would think this would be a very temporary condition if that happened, once blown out that would be all you would get.

The easy, simple fixes are ALWAYS the best!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome and sorry about your troubles. Which 63 Studebaker and which engine are we talking about--6, 8 Stude or GM transplant??

Comment

Working...
                              X