PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Alternator Bracket For 1955 President

Commander Eddie
03-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I recently purchased a 1955 President State that has an alternator installed in place of the generator. I appears the original generator upper bracket was used but no lower bracket because the alternator is shorter than the generator. The top bracket does not position the alternator in direct alignment with the pulley. Does a substitute bracket exist that would align the alternator up correctly? Is there a lower bracket available that can help hold the alternator from twisting?

sals54
03-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Alternators are easy to align. Bend the arm to position the front of the pulley even with the others. THen space the hinge bolt with a cut piece of pipe or tubing, (to keep it clean looking), and you're done. Be sure there's no slop in the hinge bolt so it does not twist. I've had to drill out the alternator and bracket to use a larger bolt diameter, but thats pretty easy.

Commander Eddie
03-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Alternators are easy to align. Bend the arm to position the front of the pulley even with the others. THen space the hinge bolt with a cut piece of pipe or tubing, (to keep it clean looking), and you're done. Be sure there's no slop in the hinge bolt so it does not twist. I've had to drill out the alternator and bracket to use a larger bolt diameter, but thats pretty easy.

If the hinge bolt is the bottom bracket this does not have one. The only thing holding the alternator is the upper adjusting bracket.
I will try physically bending the adjusting bracket to bring the pulleys into alignment.

Alan
03-19-2015, 03:50 PM
If you have the exhaust manifold with the 2 studs for the generator, use a Chev. bracket. Just drill a new hole or 2 and you can slot them. Don't know what alternator you have there, so can't give you any better instructions. Pics. would be helpful.

StudeRich
03-19-2015, 04:04 PM
I suppose it is highly unlikely that anyone would actually put the correct Prestolite Alternator on your Car, but if they did, a early Chrysler Alt. or Honda/Toyota will nicely fit on the correct Factory '63-'64 V8 2 Ear mounting bracket that directly bolts to the Exhaust Manifold. :)

Commander Eddie
03-19-2015, 04:30 PM
StudeRich,
I have been told it is a GM alternator that has been adapted to output 8 volts. The output was confirmed by my mechanic who is currently correcting a wiring problem that resulted in the car not starting. He found an inline fuse that should not have been there and is replacing that. He is also replacing the neutral safety switch. He was the one who pointed out the missing lower bracket and the misalignment of the pulleys.
I am wondering if a universal lower mounting bracket might work. I saw one at 5th Avenue Internet Garage.

Studebakercenteroforegon
03-19-2015, 04:32 PM
PMX Alternators & Starters in Portland (503-777-7172) has a nice universal alternator mounting bracket kit that I have used before. Plus, he advertised in our Zone Meet booklet, so he deserves our support!

Commander Eddie
03-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks, Jerry. I'll give them a call.

53commander
03-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Check out this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?63670-62-hawk-alternator-conversion&p=666758&highlight=alternator#post666758 I put up some pictures of the brackets for my GM alternator on a 289. The lower bracket is the universal one many vendors sell. I got it cheapest on Ebay.

Commander Eddie
03-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Check out this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?63670-62-hawk-alternator-conversion&p=666758&highlight=alternator#post666758 I put up some pictures of the brackets for my GM alternator on a 289. The lower bracket is the universal one many vendors sell. I got it cheapest on Ebay.

Those are excellent photos and show me exactly what I need. Thank you all so much. You guys are part of why I love these cars so much.