Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001-2004 Avanti Chassis from a Pontiac Firebird or a Chevrolet Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001-2004 Avanti Chassis from a Pontiac Firebird or a Chevrolet Camaro?

Are the chassis used for the AMC Avantis all from Pontiac Firebirds or do some of them use a Chevrolet Camaro chassis. Aren't the two chassis the same?
    theavanti.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, theavanti.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by rgallatin; 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM.

There is no yes or no answer to your question.
    2001-2004 Avantis are built on a Firebird.
    2005-2007 Avantis are built on a Mustang.
    Also, it is more than just a "chassis", as was used from 1987-1991. The 2001-2007 Avantis utilize much of the body and interior of the donor car.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess the question should have referred only to 2001-2004

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
        I guess the question should have referred only to 2001-2004
        The unitized structure, inner door frames, inner 1/4s etc. are common to the F'Bird and Camaro-- outer skins, fenders etc. are not.

Comment

I haven't heard of Camaro platforms being used...only TransAm. One quick way to tell which was the original donor car is that the Firebird interior has round dash a/c outlets while the Camaro interior has squarish outlets.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

What exactly defines the 2001-2004 Avanti chassis? My dictionary says a chassis is "The base frame of a motor vehicle or other wheeled conveyance." So is a chassis only the "base frame" or is there more there than the Firebird frame?

Comment

We shouldn't be using the term "chassis" when referring to modern unit body vehicles. I believe "platform" is the term used by the industry. It includes the floor pan, cowl, the basic dog house, various suspension components, and maybe the front subframe. Vehicles like pickup trucks and Chevy Suburbans still have chassis -- but not many cars still do.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for a lucid clarification on the "chassis" issue. This is something I wondered about ever since I found chassis used interchangeably with the Lark X-frame.

Comment

By the way -- What's the "dog house"?

Comment

It's where you go to sleep when you buy another Studebaker before asking your better half if it's OK.
                    Mark L

Comment

The front end sheet metal. In the case of the Avanti in question, it would be the front end inner structure since the fenders, hood ect. are bolted on.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The AVX style Avanti's were originally built on F body GM platforms (Firebird and Camaro).
                        They re-skinned the body and added a custom interior.
                        The platform and modifications chosen were to not have to do destructive crash testing of the platform (GM already did that).
                        There is no AMC connection to the Avanti, and never was any connection to AMC.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My use of the term really applied to unit-body non-convertibles, like the Firebird coupe. The dog house would then mean the windshield (A) pillar, roof, C pillar, and the rear quarters if they were welded to the floor and substructure.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            There is no AMC connection to the Avanti, and never was any connection to AMC.

You mean the Avanti Motor Corporation had no connection to the Avanti?
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              You mean the Avanti Motor Corporation had no connection to the Avanti?

I'll also point out that AMC Avantis have no connection to Studebakers...other than using a name originally used by Studebaker and some very broad design cues.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X