Question about the rear diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Question about the rear diff

Seeing how the motor, trans and drive shaft had all been replaced at some time, I am going out on a limb here and guessing that maybe the rear end is not original to the car either. There are 3 tags on the rear end, one says "45", the other says "373" and the third was hard to make out but it looked like it said something like 400111 or 401111. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with these tags and could possibly help me ID it?

-Sam

sounds like ratio 373 for one thing.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I think "45" means twin traction.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Nice, 373 gears and twin traction? That would be nice. I assume its a Dana 44 or maybe 45 is Dana 45?

Comment

Sam the dana 44 will have "44" in raised letters on lower right web. 45 tag denotes angle of cross pin in tt case, 373 is diff ratio. believe all domestic hawks "Started" life 44 equipped. Doofus

Comment

awesome! thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
            X