Not Happy this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Happy this morning

This morning I went to the United States Post Office looking for my NOS SuperCharger Brackets. The box came in, but nothing was in it. There was a big hole on the side of box.. This was to complete my Supercharger set up for a 1963 GT Hawk. Good thing I had xxxx put insurance on it.
    Last edited by royvaldez; 03-17-2015, 08:04 PM.

What a bummer. Glad you thought of the insurance, but I know when you want to put something together and the parts don't show it doesn't make for being very happy.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That is aggravating. Are those parts rare?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Im sorry to hear this. Its the worst feeling when you are all excited about something only to find out it fell through at the last moment. At least you get your money back. I had this happen to me once and ended up having to eat my loss.

Comment

You need to ask the USPS if they have any hope of tracking the Parts, but they may need a Pic of them to I.D. them.
          I would think that they have a large lost items storage somewhere.

That is a major loss of very rare parts that are no longer available and irreplaceable, I would want the parts more than the Money.

It does remind us though, when packing relatively small, sharp ended and slightly heavy parts, they must have double or triple cardboard on the smaller ends of the parts and lots of Paper, or bubble wrap packed so tight, that there can be 0 movement, or the tossing around that they will get, WILL puncture the box.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In addition to thoughtful packaging, it's usually a good idea to also tape a "ship to" address on the items inside the box as well, just in case they get separated or something happens to the outside label.
            I suspect Rich is correct, someone at USPS is probably wondering what they are and where to put them.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I am freaking out.

Comment

I'm not sure how you could narrow down a search, but you might keep an eye on ebay. If there was any identifying mark on the package with the word Studebaker, then if someone was going to resell the parts illegally they might come to the conclusion that they belong on a Studebaker. Maybe they'd even come up on some craigslist locale.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Did you track it all the way from where it was sent? Perhaps it might still show in history of all the stopovers, and if it does, it might be worth a phone call to see if there is some unaccounted for merchandise in each of their lost & founds.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Did you track it all the way from where it was sent? Perhaps it might still show in history of all the stopovers, and if it does, it might be worth a phone call to see if there is some unaccounted for merchandise in each of their lost & founds.

Craig
                    This is a good idea. USPS now requires a tracking label attached to all packages now through their new IMpb rules. This means the package was scanned every time it left a location and arrived at the next. The tracking number should be either on the label itself or on a roughly 2" x 2 1/2" sticker placed near the label. It has a bar code and says USPS TRACKING # on it.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      This is a good idea. USPS now requires a tracking label attached to all packages now through their new IMpb rules. This means the package was scanned every time it left a location and arrived at the next. The tracking number should be either on the label itself or on a roughly 2" x 2 1/2" sticker placed near the label. It has a bar code and says USPS TRACKING # on it.
                      Yes, and there will be a lost and found office somewhere. I had the same experience once with a box of antique license plates. My local PO gave me the number and location of the lost and found at the main PO in DC. It was a building the size of a football field. But the missing plates were sitting there on a table, and the PO didn't have to pay off the insurance.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I had borrowed a crimping tool from a friend.. It was a super rare tool and he usually charges a 1500 deposit on it. Since a friend he just sent it..
                        After I was done, sent it back, wrapped in bubble wrap and foam peanuts.
                        3 days later he calls me saying, "Funny..." I said "I give, whats funny?" he said, "You sent me an empty box.." He went on to say it was ripped open..
                        After a dozen or so calls to the USPO, they found ii in one of their trucks..

Give a call and let them know you are not happy.. those USPO guys throw them boxes around worst than an "American Tourist" luggage ape..

Comment

When I restored my 1954 Vette several years ago, I had ordered a door and fender molding from VCCA and they shipped them in a PVC tube with glued on caps..

Comment

I would not pin my hopes on getting an insurance payoff on the package. As a friend found out when he shipped a $900 chain saw there are many obstacles to receiving payment. The post office knew where the saw was and refused to ship it. He ultimately found it on eBay after it was sold at auction.

Comment

I've posted on the Model A website about the poor handling of packages by the post office. They have broken and lost so many parts I've ordered that I try to not use them anymore. All lost mail goes to Atlanta where it piles up until they auction it off. I'm sure they make little to no attemp to see that the items get to the rightful owner. I gave them a complete description of an antique sewing machine, and even gave them the serial number, but never heard a thing.

My latest lost item was a mint taillight lens and chrome rim for my 1950 Land Cruiser. I followed the tracking and when it said "delivered to my address" I went out to find an empty mailbox. I called the police to report mail theft, but all they could do is file a report. Two days later I asked my neighbor if he by chance got a package addressed to me, and he said yes and he'd put it back in the mailbox. Well, that was a stupid move on his part, after the mailman's poor delivery job. Anyway that tailight never showed up at my house, nor back at the ebay seller's house. I'm sure it sold at the Atlanta auction, which gives the post office more money.
                              Last edited by TWChamp; 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X