Another Hawaii Stude pop'd up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Hawaii Stude pop'd up

I'm pretty sure this won't completely buff out.... but it could be a start. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/4935528813.html

I'm not seeing many "misc. parts". What would it cost to get it to the mainland!?
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

We formerly had a member of the Central Virginia Chapter who bought a '50 Land Cruiser in Hawaii and had it shipped over.

Comment

I can't believe there's so little rust on that car. When I lived there in the 70s there were many very rusted out cars to be found. Between the constant rain and salt air, its a brutal assault on the early iron found there.
        sals54

Comment

Shucks...how 'bout some quiet meditation...

why do anything but set out a chair and enjoy...after all...the ad does say "OCEAN VIEW."
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

fpstude, when we moved over here in 2010, it cost $1800.00 to ship our new Miata "door to door" from Alabama to here. (that's an option). I just recently helped a buddy ship his 33 Ford coupe to California, not door to door, but port to port, and it was $1100.00. Now, these were both driving cars, and we were told that non-runners would need to be crated and would cost quite a bit more. If you want an exact quote, you can check with this guy, he shipped mine, and does this for a living. http://konacarguy.com/ I have no connection with him, we and many others were just quite satisfied with him.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              I can't believe there's so little rust on that car. When I lived there in the 70s there were many very rusted out cars to be found. Between the constant rain and salt air, its a brutal assault on the early iron found there.
              When I lived on Oahu from '64 through '67 there were still a number of Studebakers being driven. There were a number of small salvage yards and all of them had at least one Studebaker, some had a number of them. One close to me had at least 10 ranging from a bulletnose or two, three '53 Starliners. a '57 Golden Hawk, a '56 wagon, and several mid-50s sedans. One Starliner had a full set of the wire wheel covers plus one in the trunk. I got them for $1.50 (for all five). One yard had a nice '54 Commander Starliner that was driven in and sold for salvage. I got some nice accessories from it. I also got some parts from a '55 President coupe in a yard near the Honolulu harbor. The dealer in Hilo had some rusty cars in the back including a '53 Land Cruiser. She let me take the rear speaker, wire and switch for nothing (I had bought a new bumper from her).

Yes, most Studebakers were rusty. The dealer's husband in Hilo had a '66 wagon that was already showing rust. I guess I didn't worry much about them then. I even bought a '51 Champion that was in great running condition, but rusty (essentially no floor at all) for $35, drove it around Kaena Point with no problem, then parted it out including taking out the windshield. From my house to the closest salvage yard was all down hill so I pushed the car in to the street, headed it down hill and coasted all the way to the salvage yard. I think they gave me $10 for it. For those not familiar with Kaena Point, it was an area where you drove the olf railroad right-of-way- very rough, very narrow. Many cars died there with punctured oil pans, wrecked steering, mangled transmissions, etc. The old Champion never missed a beat, never got hung up on rocks.

There were also some Packards still being driven. One that made me sick was one that showed up in my favorite little yard. It was a pristine '55 Clipper hardtop that had been abandoned at the Honolulu Airport. Everything worked on it including the torsion leveler. The salvage yard owner said I could have it for his towing and storage costs (about $150) if I could get the title from the owner. I couldn't. He had left no forwarding address at his Honolulu apartment so I gave up. Several weeks later I was back at the yard and there were two cars stacked on top of the Packard.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I see a Disc Rotor in that Gray Plastic Milk crate, makes me wonder if the Car has some "Mods"? Or it's just "extra" junk.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X