What is to be gained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: What is to be gained?

My car is 4-speed with 3:54 rear end................worth the time and effort to change out to a 3:07?

Only driven in the summer/fall season.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Decide if 13% lower cruise RPM and 13% slower off the line are good tradeoffs for you.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thought the engine would 'appreciate' a higher ratio and less strain at speed?
      Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Decide if 13% lower cruise RPM and 13% slower off the line are good tradeoffs for you.

jack vines

Comment

what are your driving habits ? Long rides for ice cream or car shows = 3.07 or Bumping around town and mid range roads = 3.54

Comment

I don't see a location in your profile. In addition to your driving habits, topography and geography can make a huge difference.
          I live in the mountains but have no need to do any drag racing. When I'm out with my '53 it is generally not running around town doing errands; highway miles to get somewhere. My 3.07 gives the minimum fuel consumption and a higher maximum mph. Topography that is not flatland does strain the transmission to shift when necessary.
          Like jack intimated, what sort of driving are you hoping to accomplish, and in what terrain?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If your car has the close ratio 4 speed (2.20 low), it will be tough to get it moving with a 3.07 rear end.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't claim to be the bright bulb in the light fixture, but, if you want the look of the floor shifter, take-off power for acceleration, and best highway cruising rpm...why not sneak in a three speed with overdirve and floor conversion shifter? I had a four speed GT, and enjoyed playing with the four speed. I was much younger then. Today, I think I would like to have a Hawk with the three speed plus overdrive. In fact, I wouldn't mind the column shift, because these days, they are now the novelty.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Everyone has made good points. It depends on your wants and needs. I would leave it alone.

Comment

It DOESN'T matter with that gear ratio. Even if you drive across the country every week...THEN put overdrive in it.
                  A 3.54 ratio is NOT a bad ratio.
                  I even prefer a 3.73 ratio, why, I like the car to move when I press the accelerator. Around town or short jaunts on the freeway, it'll even get better gas milage than 3.0 gears.

Do the engine a favor, leave the 3.54 in

Mike

Comment

LOL the flatlands of Long Island......most driving is to shows and or just driving the Xway to get the car out and run. Little or no in hiway use to run errands etc.
                    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    I don't see a location in your profile. In addition to your driving habits, topography and geography can make a huge difference.
                    I live in the mountains but have no need to do any drag racing. When I'm out with my '53 it is generally not running around town doing errands; highway miles to get somewhere. My 3.07 gives the minimum fuel consumption and a higher maximum mph. Topography that is not flatland does strain the transmission to shift when necessary.
                    Like jack intimated, what sort of driving are you hoping to accomplish, and in what terrain?

Comment

Dick it has 2:54:1
                      Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      If your car has the close ratio 4 speed (2.20 low), it will be tough to get it moving with a 3.07 rear end.

Comment

This is why I come here to be educated:-).........guess the 3:54 will remain as it has been since it left So Bend in '63:-)

Comment

I have the 3:07 in my '64 259-excellent for cruising on the freeway, but a real dog off the line. I have a 3:31 I'm going to install one of these days for in town driving (what I usually do).

Comment

Sam, I think your 3:54 is near perfect for LI. I wouldn't change a thing.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

3.07 is harder on the clutch in the long run, and a lot more shifting when needed in town driving or every time you come to a hill you will need to down shift, now if the engine was more high performance might not be so bad but still a clutch problem down the line.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X