Ford Thunderbird Power Window Motor Interchange For Avanti 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ford Thunderbird Power Window Motor Interchange For Avanti 2

Will the power widow motors from the Ford Thunderbird from 55-57 interchange with the Avanti's from 63 -75 will this work?
    Joseph Kastellec

I remember when I had my #1 Avanti apart for paint there was a Ford part number on the window motor. However my memory isn't good enough to remember the number itself. The window switch bezel is the same for the first generation T-bird & the knobs are the same except for the color- black for the bird & off white on the Avanti.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yeah, they will fit, and there are thousands of them in the junkyards. Oh, wait....

Seriously, it is the same basic motor, and your best source is to buy one from one of our vendors, and they are expensive, because they also fit another expensive car. And it still doesn't address one of the big problems with Avanti window lefts (manual or electric), in that lifting that big and heavy piece of glass puts a fierce strain on that flexible inner door skin, which will eventually break. I honestly think the best way to "fix" Avanti windows is to trash the factory system with its long arms and massive counterweight spring, and install a rack or cable drive from a late-model car or the hotrod aftermarket, that puts the weight of the glass on the door bottom instead.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

One of my tailgate window motors was a Fomoco motor ( another was a Bosch ) but I couldn't get a complete number off of it. I tried to find it in one of my Hollander books but to no avail. A Ford buddy said basically what Warren stated. They are around. As you know by now the tailgate motors and Avanti motors are the same. I'd try servicing what you have and make sure your window tracks w/o binding. I had an issue with my Dad's R 5636 power window. I cleaned and lubed what I could when it was apart to weld a broken rivet. Good luck!
        PS I try to keep my stuff original but as gordr stated there may be BETTER ways and who sees it. People only notice when the window doesn't work or drops to the bottom of the door unexpectedly!
        Rob in PA.

Comment

An electrical shop should be able to rebuild your electric motors unless they're fried...and for a lot less than new or taking a chance on junkyard parts.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It's not difficult to adapt an late model window motor to the Studebaker type regulator. The late model motors use a 2 wire system that reverses polarity to get the up/down. To accomplish this, you need to fabricate a relay pack to handle the polarity change. This can all be facilitated using the Stude factory switches, only the R, B, Y connections and a much lesser gauge of wire to trigger the relays and motors. $30.00 per motor is the going average..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Has anyone used a late model window regulator or motor that works ???
              Joseph Kastellec

Comment

64V-K7, I am electrically challenged. Do you or anybody, have a schematic for that $30 fix with a two wire motor??

Comment

A different question on the windows, I have not seen mentioned, is the guides or plastic rollers on the window frame, that go into the rear track . Anybody ever replace them??

Comment

Originally posted by bssmnbll View Post
                    A different question on the windows, I have not seen mentioned, is the guides or plastic rollers on the window frame, that go into the rear track . Anybody ever replace them??
                    See Post #2 on this string:
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...791#post912791

According to this detailed procedure, apparently they ARE Critical.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X