PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: carb kit for a 63 vintage WW 2bb

Jeff T.
03-15-2015, 02:49 PM
What other makes used a Stromberg WW carb. I have a 63 vintage WW and would like to find a reasonably fresh kit and not run that risk of a circa 1963 kit with an accelerator pump that may be no better that what is currently in the carb.

Thanks

Jeff T.

skyway
03-15-2015, 05:00 PM
If it were me, I'd just get a fresh, modern kit from one of our vendors.
Dave Thiebault (spelling?) in MA, comes to mind.

rockne10
03-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Yes, those ww models were used for years and any NOS kits have dried up long ago.
I too recommend Dave, but I've gotten to the point were I just send it to him and it comes back looking and working like new.
The last ww he did for me was $175 but that was a few years ago.

StudeRich
03-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Jeff, when you are logged in you will be able to read your PM.

doublepaddle
03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
What other makes used a Stromberg WW carb. I have a 63 vintage WW and would like to find a reasonably fresh kit and not run that risk of a circa 1963 kit with an accelerator pump that may be no better that what is currently in the carb.

Thanks

Jeff T.

I have a 6-120 Stromberg carb on mine. Sort of rare but NAPA had a kit for it and was the cheapest.

StudeRich
03-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I have a 6-120 Stromberg carb on mine. Sort of rare but NAPA had a kit for it and was the cheapest.

That carb. must be used on Chrysler Products, does it have a fast Idle Cam, an Automatic choke that connects to your Intake Manifold heat pipe, and a top that fits the Stude. Air cleaner?

doublepaddle
03-19-2015, 08:31 AM
I have an original 259 in a '57 Transtar. The 6-120 from what I am led to believe is for the V8 and auto trans combo. I have a factory auto in my truck. Manual choke. Looks quite like any of the other strombergs I have seen except no auto choke.

doofus
03-19-2015, 10:40 AM
GMC V6 also used stromberg carbs. Doofus

jclary
03-19-2015, 11:40 AM
About a year (or so) ago, I had to replace the accelerator pump in my carburetor. I used a NAPA kit number 2-5072. If I recall correctly, the new needle valve in this kit has a "viton" tip. I don't know how well viton holds up to ethanol, so I opted to continue using the old needle valve. This old NAPA number might be from the older kit I found in my stash after buying a new one. Not sure, but it might be good for cross reference purposes. Funny thing about the experience was that when I found the old kit, I also found the original receipt. The price had gone up from just a little over six bucks to over thirty bucks.

If anyone finds that I've provided an out of date number, let me know, and I'll see if I can locate a newer one. Be patient, I'm a bit under the weather, and today, it's raining. I don't intend to expose myself (to the cold moist air bp ) more than necessary.

BobPalma
03-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I don't intend to expose myself more than necessary.

:eek: Now that's good to know, John! :QQ::oops: BP

jclary
03-19-2015, 12:43 PM
:eek: Now that's good to know, John! :QQ::oops: BP

Yeah...I regretted that as soon as I hit the submit button...now I know what it takes to get a rise out of you.:o

Of course...we are talking "technical" here.:rolleyes::)

StudeRich
03-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Lots of "Exposure" here :D but after 4 days, I guess Jeff does not need this very badly, Life got in the way, or he found what he needed. :)

Jeff T.
03-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Rich,

Sorry I did not get back to you asap, we had to buy my daughter new shoes and other items within the few days. Since December her feet have grown one size and she's out growing things faster than she can wear them out:) So the carb kit and other Studebaker items for my eternal project will be on the back burner for a bit:(

Jeff T.

SN-60
03-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Important to remember to use the proper base gasket upon installation of a Stromberg 2bbl carb. Use one made for a manual choke vehicle, and your factory automatic choke will never work again! (Don't ask me how I know this!!)

Dick Steinkamp
03-21-2015, 10:52 AM
About a year (or so) ago, I had to replace the accelerator pump in my carburetor. I used a NAPA kit number 2-5072. If I recall correctly, the new needle valve in this kit has a "viton" tip. I don't know how well viton holds up to ethanol, so I opted to continue using the old needle valve.

Viton is not effected by ethanol. It is used in O rings and other seals in pure ethanol environments. It is what you want for the soft fuel system parts today (accelerator pumps, fuel pump diaphragms, fuel lines, etc.) in your Studebaker. Original soft fuel system parts (those made before the introduction of ethanol in fuels) should NOT be used. They will deteriorate over time even with e10.

http://www.biofuels.coop/archive/viton.pdf

http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol/downloads/Ethanol%20&%20E85%20Material%20Compatibility.pdf

jpepper
03-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Phil Harris (Fairborne) also has new kits. For a rebuild (actually it is a restoration) send it to Daytona Parts. they do super work.

Jim