1951 power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: 1951 power steering

Has anyone installed power steering in a 51 Champ?

I am sure someone has tried it... but I have never seen it done. A lot of street rod types are using electric power steering with good results... but you need 12V to run it.

Comment

I've been looking at those. I wonder if anyone has installed one? Which brand?

Comment

I looked at a 52 Starliner in Florida owned in by Mr. Jeter Brock that had power steering. He had installed it himself so it can be done on a 51 as well. He demonstrated that the car steered very easily even sitting still in the garage. If you send me a private message, I can give you his email. He is not on the forum.
        Funny thing is that the added power steering was one of the things that put me off buying the car. I didn't feel the car should need it.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I know that Kerry Dancy (forum member) is playing around with electric power steering on a Hudson or two. Last I heard, he was working on putting the system on a Stude. I don't know what the latest on his project is.

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          I looked at a 52 Starliner in Florida owned in by Mr. Jeter Brock that had power steering. He had installed it himself so it can be done on a 51 as well. He demonstrated that the car steered very easily even sitting still in the garage. If you send me a private message, I can give you his email. He is not on the forum.
          Funny thing is that the added power steering was one of the things that put me off buying the car. I didn't feel the car should need it.
          If you don't mind, PM me Jeter's email as well. I haven't seen him in at least 10 years.

Comment

My stock restored 1950 Champion steers so easily that I can't imagine why anyone would want power steering, even if it was free.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              My stock restored 1950 Champion steers so easily that I can't imagine why anyone would want power steering, even if it was free.
              For one, the entire steering system between a 50 and a 51 is complete different.

And two, I don't think the original poster is asking about adding PS to the car you own. Not everyone thinks the same way or wants the same things.

Comment

Working...
              X