Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brakes

I have a '62 Lark with a dual master cyl. Could not get the old one to bleed so I bought A rebuilt one. This one acts the same as the old one. I tried bench bleeding it to no avail. Put it on the car and still won't bleed or pump out fluid although I did get some pedal on the front brakes. Nothing to the rear. Help! Thanks

I put my fingers over the two outlets, then push the piston in while it's clamped in the vice. Another way is to use adaptors with short hoses that feed back into the reservior, so you can pump away to remove the air and have no chance of getting any more air into it.

Comment

Check that the rear flex hose is in good shape, they can collapse internally, and block fluid. Jim Turner makes fresh d.o.t approved replacements
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Also check the push rod into the M/C, IF it's too tight, you'll never get brakes!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks tried it didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            I put my fingers over the two outlets, then push the piston in while it's clamped in the vice. Another way is to use adaptors with short hoses that feed back into the reservior, so you can pump away to remove the air and have no chance of getting any more air into it.
            Thanks I tried that, didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              Also check the push rod into the M/C, IF it's too tight, you'll never get brakes!

Jim
              What do you mean by to tight. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TENNESSEEHILLBILLY View Post
                What do you mean by to tight. Thanks
                Not Jim, but I also thought of push rod free travel - try about one-half inch (before the pedal engages anything in the master cylinder).
                Keep in mind that you are working with a modified system as Studebaker did not offer a dual master cylinder system for the 1962 model year.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Not Jim, but I also thought of push rod free travel - try about one-half inch (before the pedal engages anything in the master cylinder).
                  Keep in mind that you are working with a modified system as Studebaker did not offer a dual master cylinder system for the 1962 model year.
                  Thanks gary and all who offered advice. Brakes are working.

Comment

Working...
                  X