How is a SDC chapter formed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is a SDC chapter formed?

How many people does it take to form a chapter and what are the steps?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Scott,
    If you are inquiring in the hopes of starting a new chapter, keep in mind there are already 5 chapters here in Oregon. That being said, you may be able to get what you need from the SDC Website. Click on "Resources" then scroll down and select "New Chapter Chartering".
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      How many people does it take to form a chapter and what are the steps?
      Scott, I would suggest that the first step would be to communicate with your Regional Manager, Zone Coordinator and National Director.

Stu Chapman

Comment

OK. Thanks.
        Actually, there are 6 in Oregon, but three or four of them are within 150 miles of Portland. The one down here (Southern Oregon) covers a huge chunk of land that I believe covers an area from the Pacific coast to at least 180 miles inland and across at least 2 mountain ranges. Yes, mountains are still an impediment to travel where you don't have major interstates cutting through them. All we have is I-5 going north and south. There are also other reasons I am wondering about it.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I believe that the required minimum number is five SDC members.
          Contact the person entrusted with chapter chartering, Leigh Morris. Contact information is on page 3 of every Turning Wheels.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe James Bell is your zone contact. He goes by 'Bellingham Studenut' here on the Forum.

Craig

Comment

Also, I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) that the Yreka area and maybe Shasta are not within any chapter. If they are they must be maybe 100 miles away from where most activity probably takes place (like Redding).

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I believe James Bell is your zone contact. He goes by 'Bellingham Studenut' here on the Forum. Craig
                James is the Can-Am Zone Director, yes.
                But I don't believe he would be your First point of contact though.
                This link shows who your Regional manager and your Zone Coordinator are~

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/zonecontacts.asp

They can provide you with membership information in your area, and contacts for same.
                I'd start with them (and Leigh as mentioned above) before jumping all the way to the top.
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks StudeDave57! If nothing else I'll learn some new things about the club.

Comment

Is there a map that roughly shows the geographic boundaries of each SDC chapter? I know some members live far away from the chapter they belong to, but I am assuming there are still generally recognized boundaries for most if not all chapters.

Comment

That would be a question for your Zone Officers Scott.
                      But honestly- I don't know that I would go so far to say that Chapters have 'boundaries'. I know lots of folks who belong to multiple Chapters locally and beyond. For example- there was a time when I belonged to four different Chapters in three States!!!

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I know how you feel, Scott, about the distance. I live in north Georgia, almost in North Carolina. I belong to two clubs in Georgia and one in North Carolina. I seldom get to attend meetings because of the distance and barrier mountains. I get my Studebaker fix from Turning Wheels and the Antigue Studebaker magazine. I try to attend zone meets and international meets at least every other year.

Comment

I also know how you feel Scott. 5 chapters in Texas, the closest one is 325 miles away. Never been to a Studebaker meet. Only been to one MG meet about 9 years ago. Just hard to get away from work and with kids in school......

Comment

Most chapter meeting for Southern Oregon are not more than 40 miles away for me, but it is much worse for anyone in Klamath Falls, or Yreka, CA or extreme nothern California. I don't know if the chapter I belong to has ever done a meeting down there. I'm thinking that if the chapter wants to grow it's restricted by the fact that potential members are so remote and maybe it's time for a new chapter that really embraces extreme southern Oregon and Northern California. Besides, this chapter doesn't seem to put much effort into recruiting new members (none) and I do not see myself breaking into any leadership positions.

Comment

Our chapter (like a lot of others) is trying hard to recruit members without much luck. We have a website, Facebook page, and try to get on local media as much as possible. We have officers (and others) that drive up to 75 miles each way to attend our monthly meetings, but we have others that can't make a 10 minute trip to attend. www.big6sdc.com In our Zone, the Iowa Hawkeye Chapter, North Star Chapter (Minnesota) and the Wisconsin Region Chapter cover almost the complete state they are based in.

Comment

Working...
                              X