Can I change my Accelerator Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I change my Accelerator Control?

I have a 1961 Hawk Automatic 4 barrel. The accelerator control rod (part#1539612) is spring loaded, and when I floor the gas the spring gives way and the carburetor won't get full throotle, or kick the 4 barrels in. Can I simply put on an accelerator rod from a standard transmission hawk (part #1539906) which is essentially a straight steel rod?

Something is very wrong, the spring is strong enough to not give until the carb plates are against the stop at full throttle. Are you trying to get the secondaries to open with the choke on ? There is a interlock that prevents that until the choke opens with a warm engine. Hold the choke open with your finger and try it.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Did you put a new AFB carb on the stock '61 intake manifold?
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by jg61hawk

I have a 1961 Hawk Automatic 4 barrel. The accelerator control rod (part#1539612) is spring loaded, and when I floor the gas the spring gives way and the carburetor won't get full throotle, or kick the 4 barrels in. Can I simply put on an accelerator rod from a standard transmission hawk (part #1539906) which is essentially a straight steel rod?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff said :" Did you put a new AFB carb on the stock '61 intake manifold?

Now that would be just silly.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54,758.75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The correct adjustment link for '56 & on BOTH Auto. and O.D. trans. is the spring loaded one, 1539612. The solid one is for '55's and Std. Trans. cars '56 & up.

However, the rod END which goes at the rear end of the adjustment link is also same O.D. & Auto. BUT the curved rod END is for 2 Brl. and goes in the hole closest to the pivot. The straight ROD END is for the 4 Brl. and goes in the end hole in the Bellcrank lever.

The stretch rod is for the Automatic Trans. kick-down feature, or the Overdrive downshift if your car was equipped.

ADDED: You're right JDP, I fixed it! Thanks!

Can I simply put on an accelerator rod from a standard transmission hawk (part #1539906) which is essentially a straight steel rod?
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think solid was used late too, my 63 R2 4 speed called for a solid rod if I recall correctly.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54,758.75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I am going from a 2bbl to a 4bbl and need the 4bbl end does anyone have one or know where I can get one? What part is "spring loaded" I have that part installed on my motor and never notied it being spring loaded anyone have a pic of this? What I see in the manual is 0312-23-B it needs 0312-29-1 and 0312-28-1. 0312-23B looks different then what I have, can it be bent and still work?

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

If it's a tube about 3/8 inches in diameter, it's spring loaded, just a 1/4 inch rod, it's not.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54,758.75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Did you put a new AFB carb on the stock '61 intake manifold?
                  Jeff[8D]

Comment

Thanks for the help. I do have an Edelbrock after market now, but just finished restoring the original Carter. I'm going to put the Carter back. I'll check the choke issue. Can the tension on the rod be adjusted, or just the lenght?? Why does it "stretch"?

Comment

It's very likely that the secondary butterflies on the 'modern' AFB carb are hitting the smaller secondary throttle bores on the WCFB intake manifold, keeping the secondaries from opening, and binding up the linkage.
                      When swapping to an AFB you either have to machine the secondary throttle bores a little bit larger to accept the AFB sized butterflies, or you have to raise the carb so they clear.
                      A thick heat insulator carb mount gasket can work to do this, but there will be a 'step' in the throttle bore diameters that can cause unwanted turbulence.
                      You can check this out easy enough.
                      Without cranking the engine (or turning the key on)...
                      Hold the secondary air valve open and open the throttle linkage all the way.
                      Do the secondary butterflies open all the way?
                      If they don't, then that is probably the problem.
                      But you can double check it by putting the WCFB on trying that out.
                      Hope the info helps.
                      Jeff[8D]

Thanks for the help. I do have an Edelbrock after market now, but just finished restoring the original Carter. I'm going to put the Carter back. I'll check the choke issue. Can the tension on the rod be adjusted, or just the lenght?? Why does it "stretch"?
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff's point was that the Edlebrock's secondaries will not clear the smaller holes in the 61 manifold, and never open, spring or not.

JDP/Maryland
                        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                        spent to date $54,758.75
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,439.30
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Ok. I think I got that. Are there adjustments to that rod, because I "screwed around" (literally) with it. Now it's time to put back the Carter. Did I probably screw it up? (pardon the pun).

Comment

After I bought my intake, 4bbl studebaker 289 intake. I bought a TD Trans part. Carburetor adapter #2064 (adapts large/medium base)Holly/AFB To Small manifold. The "Spacer" has a beveled opening on the top of the spacer thus the secondary butterflies open without a problem. I see and understand, the stude manifolds are small bore, primary and secondary openings has anyone ever tried to open them up?

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

[quote][i]
                              A thick heat insulator carb mount gasket can work to do this,[/b][/navy]

You need a MRG98. In my store for $14.94.

Jerry Forrester
                              Douglasville, Georgia
                              Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                              X