1960 Richard Petty Tribute Plymouth: OMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Richard Petty Tribute Plymouth: OMG

Somebody is in for a big surprise if they buy this based on the seller's description:

How could someone who claims to be in the collector-car business get it so wrong? The ad copy says it has a hemispherical head engine, which it does not. No hemi-head engine was available in a 1960 Plymouth...or any other 1960 Chrysler Corporation car, for that matter.

Further, the ad copy says it has a 325 HP 361 engine, which was not a hemi. In fact, the 361 was not even a polyspherical-head engine, as is the engine in the car, and there was no such thing as a 325 HP 361. The 361 was available in 305 and 310 HP versions. The only way you could get 325 HP in a 1960 Plymouth was to order the 383 engine.

But worse than all that, the car only has a 318 engine in it, not even a 361 or 383! The highest HP it could have as a 318 would have been the 260 HP Super Pack with 4-bbl carb...and looking as closely at the engine as we can with the air cleaner in place, it looks like it might even be the 2bbl carb version of the 318!

And what's with the Goodyear Raised White Letter Polyglas tires? In 1960, it would several years before RWL tires in 60 and 70-series profiles would be introduced.

Man, talk about a forthcoming lawsuit if someone makes a print copy of the seller's claims and then buys the car. Ridiculous on so many accounts. I worry about the accuracy of automobile history when I see things like this; what will happen when everyone who actually cares about historical accuracy is gone? Sheesh. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm certain that car was on the show Texas Car Wars. It was really cruddy looking with a completely torn up interior and one of the flippers bought it deciding not to bring it back to stock and made this Petty "Tribute" car. He didn't sell the car on the show so he may still be trying to move it.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Yep.That is the Texas Car Wars car.Should be able to find a viewing of it online.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
        ...Petty "Tribute" car....
        Well...depending, on whether or not, you consider the above as a "Noun" or an "adjective"...could impact how accurate you interpret the description of this vehicle.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not to mention, the 'tribute' car appears to be a 2 door hard top with no 'B' pillar while the original car appears to be a 2 door sedan with a 'B' pillar. A little tough to be positive in the old pictures but I think I'm correct.

Comment

Way to many things wrong with that one to make me "less happy" to be polite...

Comment

Bob, put in your offer of $79,000 and save $988.00 !!

Comment

The second last photo clearly shows a 1961 model.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  The second last photo clearly shows a 1961 model. Craig
                  I noticed that too, Craig.

That whole listing should be an embarrassment for anyone who claims to be a collector-car dealer. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Those guys are not collector-car dealers. They, by their own words, "Turn & Burn". "Flip and skip" might be more appropriate.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                      Those guys are not collector-car dealers. They, by their own words, "Turn & Burn". "Flip and Skip" might be more appropriate.
                      You got that right, Paul. [Wasn't it Flip and Skip, (or was it Skip and Flip?) who recorded the one-hit wonder, Cherry Pie?] BP

Comment

Ah-HA! It was Skip & Flip:

'Love that song. BP

Comment

There was a guy in Holland a few years ago who put an ad on a early 60's MoPar (don't remember what kind now) that had ALL the old stock car stickers on & the story was the same: 425 HP on the hood but under it sat a smallblock... jeez this kinda stuff IRRITATES me(!), I mean just HOW difficult would it be to at least put a bigblock under the hood???
                          Silly.

Comment

Working...
                          X