I bought a Hawk --- piggy bank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a Hawk --- piggy bank.

Was shopping at a thrift store for cheap clothes for work , and spotted this sitting on a shelf .
    I know you`ve seen these before - says Banthrico 1974 on bottom .
    Now time to load it up with pocket change .....
    Attached Files

I'v got one of those too. Had it a long time,don't recall where I got it.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Why is the coin slot on the bottom? Is it meant to be displayed upside down?
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Why is the coin slot on the bottom? Is it meant to be displayed upside down?
        YES !! ................................

Comment

HaHaHa. Reminds me of a turtle.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Just like my hawk only this one has a slot to put the money in.

Comment

For what it is, they got the proportions and details down pretty good, except for the outsized wire wheels that look to have been sourced from a 1930's sports car model/scale.
              Last edited by Jessie J.; 03-08-2015, 05:50 AM.

Comment

When i first got web tv i started collecting Banthrico banks, I must have about a hundred banks. They were $2 and $3 at the time. (in the mid 90's), I just now went thru 1000 Banthrico banks on e-bay and didn't see One Hawk. the banks are $5 to $50 and more now. I have a 47 coupe and a very early Studebaker. I let my 2 grand sons pick out any one they wanted and 1 was the Hawk.

Ok i just found a Hawk it was $50.
                Last edited by clonelark; 03-08-2015, 06:05 AM.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

So, how difficult would it be to duplicate these with a 3D printer?
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    So, how difficult would it be to duplicate these with a 3D printer?
                    Not difficult as long as you have the necessary input file. Many machines use the STL format, but I am not sure about the latest 3D "printers". There would also be a considerable cost to have someone do a 3D scan of the original object.

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                      Was shopping at a thrift store for cheap clothes for work , and spotted this sitting on a shelf .
                      I know you`ve seen these before - says Banthrico 1974 on bottom .
                      Now time to load it up with pocket change .....
                      In the early 1970s, there was one of these at an SDC auction. It must have been a prototype. It was before they were generally available. Two or three Studebaker toy collectors "had" to have this (they never saw one before). They bid it way up. I think that the banks became available within a few months after that.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got the same car/bank. I believe I got it years ago in a bank promotion. Its good quality, not a cheap plastic pig like has been offered recently.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

The rear wheel-arches... with wider rear wheels it would've made a custom/racer from early 60's!

Comment

Alright ,, She`s packed with dimes and ready to stick on the shelf --somewhere.

Comment

I have one of those too. I have had it for a long time. Never seem to have money to put in it...... My real Studebakers take it all.
                              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                              X