high bidder on 52 race car cancells bids and my cell phone takes a dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high bidder on 52 race car cancells bids and my cell phone takes a dump

Well thing come in two's I guess, when I got up today and checked the auction on the 52 race car I found that the high bidder had backed out and cancelled his bids and in doing so it cancelled out other bids down to the reserve price of $20,000. From what I can figure he got mad when I would not take his offer of $30,000 and end the auction early, I told him no that it would not be fair to the other people bidding, it had nothing to do with trying to get more money on bids but just doing the right thing for every body, This is the way I have always done things and to lose his money because he wanted it so bad to even ask, so be it. the car is nice and will sell for what ever it goes for just like planed when we started this auction. on the other note my cell phone took a dump and I might not be able to get things I had stored back like peoples numbers, and some of them I will not be able to ever call again, so if you are one of the people that I might have had in there please PM me with your number so I can put it in the new phone. Gene Strickland you are one I need. I have always said things happen for a reason and will work out in the end, thanks .....Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

He prolly didn't have the dough anyhow!

But if he did maybe he'll get back in and buy it.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Consider your tires well kicked!

Comment

Just looked at the listing and recognized the track as Sears Point. Road raced there for many years. When it was owned by Filmways, it was called Golden State Raceway. Then Infineon; now I don't know what it's called.

Comment

you can cancel your bids on ebay?
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            you can cancel your bids on ebay?
            Yes. Some years back ebay decided being the world's largest fleamarket and dealing with millions of bidders and sellers was a PITA and with that volume, the rules were unenforceable. They decided to move in the direction of Amazon and deal with fewer, larger "power sellers".

On the higher dollar auctions, sleazy types will throw out a high bid just to find the reserve and then retract it.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Folks like that should be banned from Ebay, just my opinion
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Hey Bob,
                If its' ment to be then its' ment to be....I had my one and only E-Bay listing draw some unexpected bidding near the end of the auction...The winning bidder jumped the bid up by 30% with about an hour to go...a week later when he came to pick up the car, he started whinnnning about everything...I finally let him take his prize for about 25% of his bid. ( Just needed to get the old parts car gone and clean up the driveway.) 3 months later he files some kind of complaint with "The Powers" at E-Bay and I haven't been back since. Oh well "if its' ment to be then its' meant to be". Your car will sell to the right guy....Good luck and hang in there....

Radio Shack is having a close out sale on their inventory of cell phones.....
                Last edited by jeds55; 03-07-2015, 01:30 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

There are many bad buyers on ebay. For those who cry about evil sellers what Bob had happen is not unusual.I have had the whiners want me to come down on the price THEY agreed to pay during a AUCTION but I almost never back down.Some think that buying something is the start of negotiations and that is false.A bid is a contract to buy.You bid,you own.If I made a mistake in the description or failed to notice damage then I will admit it and take it back...that is the "almost" situation.
                  I screen my bidders.If I get the impression the bidder will never be satisfied with the condition of a part I block them from bidding.Not worth the hassle.I also research bidders and if they show any signs of being a PIA I block them.There are hundreds of thousands of decent,good buyers on ebay so eliminating those who I think will be a problem makes sense to me.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                    I screen my bidders.If I get the impression the bidder will never be satisfied with the condition of a part I block them from bidding.Not worth the hassle.I also research bidders and if they show any signs of being a PIA I block them.There are hundreds of thousands of decent,good buyers on ebay so eliminating those who I think will be a problem makes sense to me.
                    I do the same, Bob. If I see a questionable bidder (low score or history or retracted bids), I cancel their bid and block them. It may be somewhat unfair, but I do not want to deal with a retracted bid late in the game or a bidder that does not have a good history as a buyer.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've never sold anything there, just buy but I value my feedback rating like a credit rating. Hearing this kind of stuff going on makes me leery of selling anything there. But I do like the convenience of Pay-Pal & use that often.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Selling there is a great way to get fair market value. I ship worldwide on a weekly basis.Like any marketplace you need to do what you can to protect yourself and your feedback rating.If you or anyone is thinking of selling you can always ask any of the numerous ebay sellers here or those you know locally and get some basic ground rules to sell by.Contact me if you want.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

If a bidder retracts his bid can he come back later and bid on the same item again?

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                            Selling there is a great way to get fair market value.
                            It is the BEST way. There is no other venue that will get as many "eyes" on your item as eBay. A well written/photographed listing will get you top dollar.

No matter where you sell an item, there will be opportunities for less than ethical folks to try to take advantage of you. eBay is no exception...but it is no different than Craig's List, a newspaper ad, a brick and mortar store, or a posting on a grocery store bulletin board in that regard.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                              If a bidder retracts his bid can he come back later and bid on the same item again?
                              He can if he is not "blocked". The bidder that just did that to Bob Peterson has been blocked and can not bid on any of Bob's items including this one.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X