• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats wrong with this GT?

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...k/1604149.html
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

There's no battery hold-down. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is that the right location for the hood ornament?
      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
        Is that the right location for the hood ornament?
        No. There were no hood ornaments used on 1963 Hawks. A 1964 Hawk would have had a different grille surround with a hood ornament on top of the grille surround, not on the hood.

There are actually several unauthentic items on the car, Wayne, but my shtick is battery hold-downs, so I had to get that in before somebody beat me to it! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The black carpet looks out of place.

Comment

Whats the deal with Hawks showing up lately with 259s (at least 2 in the last 4 months). I thought all GTs except for export were 289s?
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Well...don't see much wrong that couldn't be corrected. The main thing wrong that I see...it's not parked in my driveway.

The seller's claim that these are in "high" demand is true...if you limit your group to "Hawk fans." As some discouraged forum members attempting to sell theirs can attest.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                Whats the deal with Hawks showing up lately with 259s (at least 2 in the last 4 months). I thought all GTs except for export were 289s?
                They were, Dan; your understanding is correct.

The ones that are showing up may not be 259s, but the result of someone doing incomplete research on the cars and not actually checking the engine serial numbers to verify the displacement. I don't think I'd want to take their word for it one way or another until the engine serial number in a specific car was documented. BP

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Well...don't see much wrong that couldn't be corrected. The main thing wrong that I see...it's not parked in my driveway.

The seller's claim that these are in "high" demand is true...if you limit your group to "Hawk fans." As some discouraged forum members attempting to sell theirs can attest.
                  I'd make that group a little smaller by saying "GT Hawk" fans.

BP,I wonder if the auto 'experts' in some of these cases look at the original engine,and say "that's no 289".. [being a lot more familiar with Ford's small blocks]
                  Last edited by 52hawk; 03-06-2015, 06:04 AM.
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

But didn't all studebakers come with a 289 motor same as a ford mustang? Been told that several times.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post

BP, I wonder if the auto 'experts' in some of these cases look at the original engine,and say "that's no 289".. [being a lot more familiar with Ford's small blocks]
                      An excellent point; entirely possible. BP

Comment

Isn't the battery backwards? If it leans outward, it could hit the hood and short out.....

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                          Isn't the battery backwards? If it leans outward, it could hit the hood and short out.....
                          Yes, it is. That is especially dangerous without a battery hold-down, in that it doesn't take much movement to contact the underside of the hood.

That is a Group 24F battery; F being for Ford configuration. A Group 24 battery, like Studebaker used, would have both posts toward the engine side, and the negative post would be toward the front of the car. BP

Comment

I have seldom seen a listing with so many words and so little information. How many miles? How's the underside. Rust? And my question, is that a correct interior?
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Wrong wheel covers?