Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker K15F and K25S

Attached Files

Studebaker's production data do not show the production of either K15F or K25S trucks, so I assume they were both one-of-a-kind prototypes built for evaluation by the US Army. And since Studebaker normally assigned unique model numbers to all its models, the fact that their base model numbers were K15 and K25 implies that their engines and other mechanicals were the same as the standard K15 and K25 trucks. K-series trucks were built from 1937 through 1941, with another 100 in early 1942. There is more info in chapter 4 here:

Note additionally this sentence in chapter 6: " In 1940, Studebaker produced about 2000 militarized K25 trucks for export, mostly to France." I do not know exactly what Studebaker did to "militarize" its K25 trucks for France.

A list of all Studebaker truck models actually produced is here:

Skip Lackie

Comment

In David Doyle book "The GMC CCKW Truck in US Service: Historical Reference" I read that Studebaker in 1939 took part in the tender for the military 2,5-ton 6x6 truck, but the army chose GMC ACKWX-353 from Yellow Truck and Coach.

Comment

My understanding is that GMC won the original contract for the CCKW 6x6, but as US entry into the War came closer, the Army awarded additional contacts to other bidders. One of these went to Studebaker for the US6, and production began in June 1941. In order to get production under way as soon as possible, Studebaker was allowed to use its existing M-series cab (with wind wings) instead of the Army-spec cab.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

In this period all truck manufacturers use for army trucks commercial cabs. I think that main difference between K25S and US6 was in cowl and cab.

Comment

Are there some surviving K25's in Russia? If there are, post a few photos of them.

Craig

Comment

There is a US6 Parts list DVD on ebay. I am not the seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-R...bfe8be&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Are there some surviving K25's in Russia? If there are, post a few photos of them.
                Craig,
                In Russia were only Studebaker US6 and US6x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker View Post
                  Craig,
                  In Russia were only Studebaker US6 and US6x4.
                  Yes, I am aware those were used there, but I thought a few K25's may have migrated there through occupied West Berlin into East Berlin.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Studebaker's production data do not show the production of either K15F or K25S trucks, so I assume they were both one-of-a-kind prototypes built for evaluation by the US Army. And since Studebaker normally assigned unique model numbers to all its models, the fact that their base model numbers were K15 and K25 implies that their engines and other mechanicals were the same as the standard K15 and K25 trucks. K-series trucks were built from 1937 through 1941, with another 100 in early 1942. There is more info in chapter 4 here:

Note additionally this sentence in chapter 6: " In 1940, Studebaker produced about 2000 militarized K25 trucks for export, mostly to France." I do not know exactly what Studebaker did to "militarize" its K25 trucks for France.

A list of all Studebaker truck models actually produced is here:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rTruckData.asp
                    Minor correction re production dates for the K series. The first K models were assembled in November 1937 so 1938 model year. The militarized versions of the K30 were assembled in November and December 1939. Note in the images below that they were basically stock models with the exception of the special paint and grille guards as shown. Engines were not Studebaker but the Hercules WXC3 with a displacement of 383 cubic inches and 102 h.p. Many of these ended up in the hands of the Germans when France fell in June 1940.

I have no information on the K15F or K25S mentioned in the original post but can tell you that these were not the standard model designations (the suffix) so suspect they were one-off experimentals as you mention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	39 K series military2 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1695815Click image for larger version

Name:	39 K series military1 copy.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1695816
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Studebaker K25 as improvised armored car in nazi hands.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker_k_25.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1695817

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        Minor correction re production dates for the K series. The first K models were assembled in November 1937 so 1938 model year. The militarized versions of the K30 were assembled in November and December 1939. Note in the images below that they were basically stock models with the exception of the special paint and grille guards as shown. Engines were not Studebaker but the Hercules WXC3 with a displacement of 383 cubic inches and 102 h.p. Many of these ended up in the hands of the Germans when France fell in June 1940.

I have no information on the K15F or K25S mentioned in the original post but can tell you that these were not the standard model designations (the suffix) so suspect they were one-off experimentals as you mention.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]41777[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks Dick. I should have made it clear that the K series was actually introduced in 1937 as a 1938 model. The trouble with the K series is that its production overlapped with the J series in 1937 and continued for almost 5.5 more years, overlapping with the L5 and the M series. Like the 2R series trucks, it's tough to define it as a particular year model(s).
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker View Post
                          Studebaker K25 as improvised armored car in nazi hands.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]41778[/ATTACH]
                          Functional perhaps, but really, really ugly.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                          X