PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: crunchy gaskets, leaky seals, sloppy flightomatic tailshaft

bhapner
03-04-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm in the process of replacing seals and O-rings so my tranny doesn't weep trans fluid. Last I drove it, it seemed to shift ok, just leaked fluid by the quart. Thus putting seals gaskets etc. in. Now a couple of questions. BTW, the trans in on my work bench... Trans is original to car, '63 GT Hawk, 289 standard duty trans.

1. I don't have the seal pullers for the front pump or the rear tailshaft seal or bushing, do have a slide hammer though. Looks like a cold chisel and a couple of whacks would knock them out. Any ideas on how to get them out?
2.In getting ready to remove the rear seal I found the tailshaft had at lest 1/4 inch up-and-down/side-to-side movement. Of course the slip-yolk is not in place. Is this normal? how much play is acceptable? Do I need a new bushing?
3. Lacking the puller tool, is replacing the bushing something I can do myself?
4. Installing bushing and seals looks like lengths of the appropriate sized pipe would allow them to be tapped into place. Ideas?
5. To remove the tail housing, the manual says to tighten up the rear band all the way. Any idea what torque spec might be appropriate to tighten it all the way?

Thanks for the input.

Bhapner

bezhawk
03-04-2015, 06:46 PM
You can usually chisel out the seals. The front pump diss -assembles easy enough to tap it out from the back side.
Without the yoke in place, the output shaft will have at least three eighths slop.
You don't have to do any band adjustment to remove the tail housing, just the 5 bolts.

StudeRich
03-04-2015, 07:13 PM
With a Leak that serious I seriously recommend at least checking the Tailshaft Bushing very carefully, or even just replacing it.

TWChamp
03-04-2015, 07:40 PM
When I worked at the GM dealership I had to replace the bushing for the output yoke because someone left the ground cable off the engine. The current then travelled through the driveshaft and bushing, which etched it away.

bhapner
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
You can usually chisel out the seals. The front pump diss -assembles easy enough to tap it out from the back side.
Without the yoke in place, the output shaft will have at least three eighths slop.
You don't have to do any band adjustment to remove the tail housing, just the 5 bolts.

The manual says "tighten the rear band to prevent movement of the planetary assembly and dislocation of the thrust washers on the transmission shaft." If this isn't really necessary, are there some other precautions I should take to keep from screwing things up.? I've been trying to follow the manual since this my first time into an automatic trans.

bezhawk
03-04-2015, 11:08 PM
The rear yoke bushing is in the housing, which isn't attached to the output shaft in any way. Just don't knock things about when removing the tail housing, and you'll be fine.Tap the gasket bond, then pull straight back. The Borg-Warner transmission is one of the easiest transmissions to work on. If you get a generic seal kit, don't worry that some gaskets don't fit. They give you several for different makes that used the same basic transmission. Fatsco has everything.

bhapner
03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks bezhawk! That's a big help. Now if it wasn't so friggin cold, I would go work in the garage. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

b hapner