Here's the Lowest Priced 1950 Studebaker Champion with No Extras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the Lowest Priced 1950 Studebaker Champion with No Extras

Here's a very nice low mileage 1950 Champion in Hemmings. This is a rare car because it has no extras. I can't say that I've ever seen a Studebaker this basic. Correction.........it does have one option, a heater.
    No shark fin hood ornament
    No gravel shields
    No right sun visor
    No radio, clock or lighter
    No overdrive
    No glove box ornament
    The dash chrome only goes to the middle, not full width
    Flat spoked steering wheel
    Painted headlamp and taillight rims

Last edited by TWChamp; 03-03-2015, 06:27 AM.

What a nice little car! Yep, the mid-year Champion Custom.

Craig

Comment

Tom: that's a bare-bones 1950 Champion Custom 2-door sedan. It appears to have one option, however: a heater/defroster. Further, a Champion Custom would not have had a driver-side arm rest on the door. However, that would have been an easily-added dealer accessory, and probably was.

Base price was $1,487 and it was the most popular of all four Champion Custom body styles, with 19,593 produced.

That price undercut the 1950 Plymouth DeLuxe Six 2-door at $1,492.

It wasn't quite able to undercut the 1950 Ford DeLuxe Six Tudor at $1,424.

...nor the two 1950 Chevrolet Styleline 2-doors; the Styleline Special at $1,403, or the Styleline Deluxe at $1,482.

For a point of reference, when I researched 1950 United States factory wages for my September 2012 Hemmings Classic Car column, I averaged figures from several sources to determine that the average factory wage in 1950 was right at $4,000 per year.

That tough competition would only get tougher as the buyers' market of the mid-1950s approached. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 03-03-2015, 06:49 AM. Reason: added arm rest note
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, as I've already been taught, in the past few days, that I certainly don't know all there is to know about Bullet nose Studes. For example, recently, someone pointed out, to me, how the heater control valve is positioned on the firewall of the Champions. I was confused, because I was trying to relate it to how my '48 Champion is constructed. Although, there are a lot of similarities, they are apparently different. Also, greatly different to my '51 Land Cruiser.

On the subject car, I thought the "Customs" had only the chrome "Nugget" small trunk ornament. In the past, I have described that trunk ornament as looking like the naked butt of a plucked chicken. Hey wait...could that really be the chicken "Nugget?"

Anyway...I thought the little chrome orb was the standard trunk ornament for the Bullet nose "CUSTOM" Studes. I know I've seen it on the '51 cars, so my question is, was it a one year only ornament for the '51?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

For those who may be confused by Johns reference here is the "nugget" trunk latch on a base model '51 Champion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	053 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1695728
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Bob. I missed the heater when I said it had no extras. I also forgot to list that it has no glove box ornament, and the dash chrome stops in the middle, instead of being full width.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I know I've seen it on the '51 cars, so my question is, was it a one year only ornament for the '51?
              It was also used on 1952 Custom models. One here in Post 19: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...arliner+grille

Craig

Comment

My little '55 E-5 Truck was the truck division's equivalent to the car division's most economic (cheap) model. Originally, it had (and still has) only a driver side sun-visor, no map light, no overdrive, no heater, certainly no radio, no adjustable external seat frame, no gravel guards, no rear bumper, and only one taillight. Also, it only had a single note horn.

Over the years, I've added an overdrive transmission, interior mirror, passenger side mirror, heater, passenger side taillight, rear bumper, turn signals, gravel guards, and a period correct aftermarket radio. I think my very first "upgrade," was to find a proper hubcap to replace the one that was missing when I bought the truck.

If I live long enough, my future plans are for a passenger sun-visor, and a Studebaker V8. Heck...I might even get around to installing a correct radio.

As you can see, after forty years...there are no dramatic contrived "deadlines" in my array of projects.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have one of those trunk "nuggets" in my parts stash. I always thought I might put it on the rear of a 47-52 project some day as I actually like the look better than the original wider handles. As there are quite a few of these "nuggets" around I am thinking Studebaker over estimated the number of "custom" models they would sell when they ordered parts
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The word "nugget" is not a colorful as "chicken butt" that someone else used a few years ago.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I was under the impression that the Business coupe was the lowest priced Studebaker.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                        I was under the impression that the Business coupe was the lowest priced Studebaker.
                        I'm sure you're right. I should have said second lowest. I don't have any ads for the business coupe.

Comment

Right, guys; the 3-passenger 1950 Champion Custom Business Coupe was $1,419; the lowest-price 1950 Studebaker model offered, and $68 cheaper than the subject Custom 2-door sedan. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The only thing about the Business Coupes being the lowest priced Model, is that it was not the kind of Car that Studebaker wished to, or tried to pitch to the Public, mostly Family's that would want a normal car interior seating space.

So for that reason, it would not have been compared to the competition since the majority of buyers would not care to own such a Car.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Actually, it's a nice looking car, but I don't feel it's worth $21,000 buckeroos. Just my humble opinion.
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X