Raymond Loewy helped design a what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raymond Loewy helped design a what?

Well, as I sometimes do, it's fun to check eBay for all the cool Studes and, occasionally, others (makes). Encompassed within the makes/models to peruse at the bottom of the list of choices is "OTHER". Here, of course, are cars that are to numerous, limited, odd, or just plain forgotten. One can sometimes find Avantis or a Rambler, I even saw a great-looking Diamond-T truck! Anyway, there exists a listing for a car called a SINGER. It caught my eye, and so I read the description. THEN I READ THAT THIS CAR BODY STYLE WAS ASSISTED IN DESIGN BY RAYMOND LOEWY. WOW! Who knew? We all know about Studebaker involvement with Mercedes Benz, but a British connection? There is a good write-up about this particular car. To find it, look for the only Singer in the list of "Others", or the item number is 110190165661. Are there other attributes of auto design which Mr. Loewy had a hand in? I think I read somewhere that he offered design work for farm tractors, but memory escapes me about what maker that was. Interesting stuff to be sure.

he designed the hillman minx. and of couse his hand in corvair and camaro

Comment

he designed the hillman minx. and of couse his hand in corvair and camaro

Comment

Raymond Loewy was an independent designer who worked on and off under contract with Studebaker, but he designed for several different automakers. He and his company designed everything from cream separators to Skylab. His daughter Laurance Loewy now heads her father's company. The Singer on Ebay does definitely contain some Studebaker styling cues. Of note: Loewy was much more of a design salesman than he was an actual hands-on designer.

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Raymond Loewy was an independent designer who worked on and off under contract with Studebaker, but he designed for several different automakers. He and his company designed everything from cream separators to Skylab. His daughter Laurance Loewy now heads her father's company. The Singer on Ebay does definitely contain some Studebaker styling cues. Of note: Loewy was much more of a design salesman than he was an actual hands-on designer.

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

He designed a very nice 30's Hupmobile - the design is similar to the '34 Studebaker.

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

He designed a very nice 30's Hupmobile - the design is similar to the '34 Studebaker.

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hmmm, that Singer is gone. Probably found a new home. At least its a chance for another piece of rolling history to not be crushed, sold as scrap iron to China and come back as a tainted import.

Comment

Hmmm, that Singer is gone. Probably found a new home. At least its a chance for another piece of rolling history to not be crushed, sold as scrap iron to China and come back as a tainted import.

Comment

Raymond Loewy's first car designs in the US were indeed Hupmobiles in the late 20. He started designing interiors for them in 1927 or 28. And as I like to say the rest is history for the Leonardo D'Venchie of the 20th Centruy

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Raymond Loewy's first car designs in the US were indeed Hupmobiles in the late 20. He started designing interiors for them in 1927 or 28. And as I like to say the rest is history for the Leonardo D'Venchie of the 20th Centruy

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Raymond Loewy was a genius, but he only designed beautiful and functional objects - he was not an inventor.

Leonardo da Vinci not only invented, but also served as a artist, musician, teacher, botanist, poet, and engineer.
                        His work still influences the fields of anatomy, civil engineering, optics, and hydrodynamics.
                        The phrase "Renaissance Man" means "Universal Genius", which the esteemed Raymond Loewy doesn't measure up to.

(it was a nice sentiment though, Avantidon)

Chris Pile
                        The Studebaker Special
                        Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Raymond Loewy was a genius, but he only designed beautiful and functional objects - he was not an inventor.

Leonardo da Vinci not only invented, but also served as a artist, musician, teacher, botanist, poet, and engineer.
                          His work still influences the fields of anatomy, civil engineering, optics, and hydrodynamics.
                          The phrase "Renaissance Man" means "Universal Genius", which the esteemed Raymond Loewy doesn't measure up to.

(it was a nice sentiment though, Avantidon)

Chris Pile
                          The Studebaker Special
                          Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Nice to know you found a home for it, Mike - er sirbum.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice to know you found a home for it, Mike - er sirbum.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X