X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For You Railroad Buffs

Try to find a Studebaker connection
    (to keep it on topic)

Spent a few hours a few weeks ago at the Roundhouse Museum in Savannah, GA.
    That in itself was pretty neat, but what was even better was I asked one of the conservators if I could walk 'behind the ropes' and take a few pic's.
    After making the appropriate faces at me, he said
    'Sure, c'mon back...Just don't fall in the pit or knock something over"...
    Obviously he doesn't know me very well, huh?
    Jeff[8D]
    Anyways...
    Here's a photo link...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

South Bend Lathe is one
    The Davenport 0-4-0 could have been a yard switcher
    Benz on the springs might be from a subsiderary of MB
    The 50 ft outside braced double door box car could have been used to haul Studebakers

or

You drove your Studebaker there

Comment

South Bend Lathe is one
      The Davenport 0-4-0 could have been a yard switcher
      Benz on the springs might be from a subsiderary of MB
      The 50 ft outside braced double door box car could have been used to haul Studebakers

or

You drove your Studebaker there

Comment

Quick, before Bob Shaw kills this thread for lack of Studebaker-related content: The Special Edition magazine I'm about to plug has a photo of a mid-30s open Packard on page 23! (It may have another Studebaker or two hidden in the many photos; I haven't had time to carefully read the whole thing.)

That said, Classic Trains magazine has published Special Edition #6 just in time for Christmas giving: Railroads and World War II: How America Rode the Rails to Victory.

I had read about this up-coming book and took advantage of their pre-publication offer months ago, ordering one copy to give my 90-year-old Father for Christmas, and another for myself. They promised publication and delivery in time for Christmas 2007 and made good on their promise: On Monday, Nov. 5, I got both copies for which I had prepaid.

This is a wonderful soft-cover book! 116 pages, almost entirely glossy color throughout, and over 150 period photographs. Many of the photos are full-page, so other pages have 3 or 4 photos on them.

All of us in Studebaker-land have more than a passing interest in history. If anyone is interested in WWII and/or railroads, especially steam, this great book would be an ideal gift. Here's a link for ordering. If you click on Our Store, ordering information is below the standard subscription pitch to the magazine.

Classic Trains covers North American railroads from the 1940s through the early 1970s. Includes many first person stories and period photos.

Highly recommended. [] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Quick, before Bob Shaw kills this thread for lack of Studebaker-related content: The Special Edition magazine I'm about to plug has a photo of a mid-30s open Packard on page 23! (It may have another Studebaker or two hidden in the many photos; I haven't had time to carefully read the whole thing.)

That said, Classic Trains magazine has published Special Edition #6 just in time for Christmas giving: Railroads and World War II: How America Rode the Rails to Victory.

I had read about this up-coming book and took advantage of their pre-publication offer months ago, ordering one copy to give my 90-year-old Father for Christmas, and another for myself. They promised publication and delivery in time for Christmas 2007 and made good on their promise: On Monday, Nov. 5, I got both copies for which I had prepaid.

This is a wonderful soft-cover book! 116 pages, almost entirely glossy color throughout, and over 150 period photographs. Many of the photos are full-page, so other pages have 3 or 4 photos on them.

All of us in Studebaker-land have more than a passing interest in history. If anyone is interested in WWII and/or railroads, especially steam, this great book would be an ideal gift. Here's a link for ordering. If you click on Our Store, ordering information is below the standard subscription pitch to the magazine.

Classic Trains covers North American railroads from the 1940s through the early 1970s. Includes many first person stories and period photos.

Highly recommended. [] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In the background there is a Stude advertisement, of a pic of an old gal discussed on this forum before.

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

In the background there is a Stude advertisement, of a pic of an old gal discussed on this forum before.

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Bob, can you order just the special edition? I went to the store and clicked on it, but it has a subscription also selected and I can't turn that off, so it looks like they require you to subscribe to get the collectors edition. Is that correct?

Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Sunny Northern California
                Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
                Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)

Comment

Bob, can you order just the special edition? I went to the store and clicked on it, but it has a subscription also selected and I can't turn that off, so it looks like they require you to subscribe to get the collectors edition. Is that correct?

Best Regards,
                  Eric West
                  "The Speedster Kid"
                  Best Regards,
                  Eric West
                  "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

how about he desinged loccomotives for the pa. r.r

Comment

how about he desinged loccomotives for the pa. r.r

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studeman

Best Regards,
                        Eric West
                        No, Eric, you don't have to be a subscriber (I'm not). You might check around elsewhere on their site to see about ordering individual copies. That was the first reference I saw to this book when I briefly looked at their site.

Or simply contact them over the phone, using the numbers in the site. You could probably give them a credit card number and they'd send however many you want.

But I'm not a subscriber and never have been. I just bought a newsstand copy of the magazine and tore out an order form for the new book awhile back. BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studeman

Best Regards,
                          Eric West
                          No, Eric, you don't have to be a subscriber (I'm not). You might check around elsewhere on their site to see about ordering individual copies. That was the first reference I saw to this book when I briefly looked at their site.

Or simply contact them over the phone, using the numbers in the site. You could probably give them a credit card number and they'd send however many you want.

But I'm not a subscriber and never have been. I just bought a newsstand copy of the magazine and tore out an order form for the new book awhile back. BP

Comment

Working...
                          X